Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reasonable service charge?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
Reasonable service charge?
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:48:59 PM »
Got my tires changed a few days ago (Pirelli Angel GT2) and as they were changing it, they told me the chain and sprockets were shot and needed replacement. They installed the new ones, but charged me 1.5 hours of premium shop time. Is that reasonable for an experienced and pricey mechanic? I'm not too pleased with the tire change, as the glue patches from the old weights are still on and some of the paint on the wheels is missing, so I've started to look at everything under a magnifying glass. No wobble when driving, so I guess the alignment is OK, but I'll properly check whether the chain is on straight.

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
Re: Reasonable service charge?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
Was the 1.5 hour labor on top of the tire change cost or did it include that? If it did, that's not bad.
At least they removed the old weights. Shops in my area just leave the old ones on.
Expecting the tech to remove the glue patches is wishful thinking. That's really your job.
Paint chips on the wheel is not right.
Nothing much to align with a tire change except the rear being straight in the swing arm.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
Why cannot these workshops take wheel weights off without paint removal !
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Why cannot these workshops take wheel weights off without paint removal !

I think he said there was a glue residue.
Paint removal is rare, at least in my experience.

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 06:51:02 PM »
The 1.5 hours were a completely separate charge, for the sprocket/chain work only. The paint chips look like a typical shop gorilla with tire irons, it pisses me off, especially at the prices they charge for motorcycles.

My concern with the alignment is the spacers not being set up properly, so the chain wouldn't be straight. But I'd definitely feel that while riding, which I haven't so that's good. It's just so disappointing that you pay a what's supposed to be a professional to do a job well and you get your stuff back damaged.

edit: The glue residue was from removing the wheel weights, the sticky stuff was remaining. Sure that might be up to me, but prices have been going through the roof, so one might expect to get a perfect results. Oh well, time to buy my own tire changing setup. Should pay for itself within a few years and at least I know who to blame for any screwups.  :002:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:52:52 PM by Hillie »

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
There are motorcycle rim guards you can use which are of a tough plastic/ nylon type of material, which once the bead is broken you can insert them to protect the rim whilst wrestling the tyre off.
   Some have string attached to each piece as often the protectors loose them selves with in the tyre!
   A pair is handy, but buy two pairs. An ideal essential for an adventure trip tool kit.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Markdarren

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »
Go back to the shop and complain about the chips on the rims, and say you're not happy. If they were careful enough you wouldn't get chips on the rims in the first place when changing tyres on a machine.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by nbsdave [+]
Was the 1.5 hour labor on top of the tire change cost or did it include that? If it did, that's not bad.
At least they removed the old weights. Shops in my area just leave the old ones on.
Expecting the tech to remove the glue patches is wishful thinking. That's really your job.
Paint chips on the wheel is not right.
Nothing much to align with a tire change except the rear being straight in the swing arm.

why would a tyre fitter leave old weights on when they were specifically added to balance a tyre that's just been removed? that's really shoddy practice... :087:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
The 1.5 hours were a completely separate charge, for the sprocket/chain work only. The paint chips look like a typical shop gorilla with tire irons, it pisses me off, especially at the prices they charge for motorcycles.

My concern with the alignment is the spacers not being set up properly, so the chain wouldn't be straight. But I'd definitely feel that while riding, which I haven't so that's good. It's just so disappointing that you pay a what's supposed to be a professional to do a job well and you get your stuff back damaged.

edit: The glue residue was from removing the wheel weights, the sticky stuff was remaining. Sure that might be up to me, but prices have been going through the roof, so one might expect to get a perfect results. Oh well, time to buy my own tire changing setup. Should pay for itself within a few years and at least I know who to blame for any screwups.  :002:

if the mechanic has never worked on an X before, it may well take him/her a while to remove/replace the various components, including shortening the chain and re riveting...split links are a lot quicker....

I'd re check the alignment properly; the factory tabs are not necessarily bang on

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 05:47:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markdarren [+]
Go back to the shop and complain about the chips on the rims, and say you're not happy. If they were careful enough you wouldn't get chips on the rims in the first place when changing tyres on a machine.

Contacted them and "deep sincere apologies" and they would "pass it on to the mechanic", so nothing happened there.

Jonathan: Just got the alignment checking tool, so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage