Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another successful lowering and hand guards  (Read 1015 times)

Offline jeffcia

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cartersville
Another successful lowering and hand guards
« on: March 31, 2019, 11:16:09 PM »
Thanks to my buddy's lift, jack, and tools, we lowered the front and back (flipping triangles method), and put on after market hand guards in about an hour and a half. @trailrider

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Another successful lowering and hand guards
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:34:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by jeffcia [+]
Thanks to my buddy's lift, jack, and tools, we lowered the front and back (flipping triangles method), and put on after market hand guards in about an hour and a half. @trailrider

:062:

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 07:46:04 PM »
What's the trick for the bar end weights? I hear it's tricky, but never fully figured out what needs to be done.

Offline jeffcia

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
The right side came right out. The left side needed vice grips. We stripped the org thread and had to hammer in a star bit. It was waaaaayyyy too tight!

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 02:33:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
What's the trick for the bar end weights? I hear it's tricky, but never fully figured out what needs to be done.

You don't remove the bar ends. You peel back the grip on the left and slide the throttle tube in on the right. There on the handlebar ends you will see two tangs 180 degrees from each other. Push those little tangs in and release the bar end weights. You may need a small punch or something to stick through the holes on the handlebar ends to completely release the tangs. New clips for the bar end weights are cheap. I think I paid $5 at my local dealer for the pair.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3861.msg62182.html#msg62182
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:35:50 AM by EscCtrl »

Offline jeffcia

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 02:37:54 AM »
 :138:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by jeffcia [+]
:138:

Newer bikes are different than the old style with the welded inserts.

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
FWIW - With the help of the community, I recently posted a tutorial, this was on a 2018 X.

*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions. As much as I wanted to rediscover my inner caveman and impact the bar weight to death, I decided on finesse instead. The result was a successful installation of Barkbusters, with enough time left in the morning to install a radiator guard. The left side is covered at the beginning of the thread, so here are some photos of the "easier" right side.

Loosen pinch (2) bolts

Loosen throttle housing (2) bolts

Slide in the mirror assembly and the throttle housing towards the bike. The guts of the bar weight will be exposed. Release and pull out the weight, I found it easier to push a screwdriver into the (2) holes and pull out the weight. It feels like the weight doesn't want to come out, as if it's attached to something inside the handlebarbut it isn't. Don't worry, this is just a vacuum (both weights resist extraction in the same way).

Seeing I'd already installed 25mm risers, I mounted the Barkbusters in a way that wouldn't interfere with the cables.

And now, she has ears. I'm already I'm thinking about more of a bling color.

Still enough time for an engine guard installation.

Recent Topics