Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Supermarket fuel  (Read 1248 times)

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Supermarket fuel
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
It's the same fuel.

except for Shell V-Power which has all sorts of extra cleaning agents and generally costs more :151:

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »
If you use Fuelly to track your mileage you can add info like the station brand and track your mileage more scientifically. MPG for example a bit more reliable than going off the bars on the dash.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:42:48 PM by goldfever »
Hawk

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:45 PM »
It's the same fuel.

<popcorn>

My understanding of this, is that statement is pretty much correct.

There's only a number of refineries in the UK, so the lorries delivering to Shell/BP/Esso, etc, are normally the same delivering to Tesco/Sainsbury's/Asda, etc.

The only difference is the formulation of the additive pack.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
My son and I use Fuelly (he's been using it for years) and I can often see the difference in mileage between different fuels.  Sometimes the difference is terrain, traffic, avg. speed. etc. but sometimes there is no difference other than the fuel, yet the mileage varies considerably.  When you monitor your fuel consumption with an app like Fuelly, you can really to see the differences in fuel quality; every fill up calculates the cost/mile of the last fuel.  This is where you can really see how ethanol is increasing the cost of your fuel!  Damned politicians :232:  Add in the increased cost of producing the ethanol fuel and the cost/mile goes way up!  Ethanol is just a sot to the corn farmers!! 

Not to mention the damage alcohol does to many motors.  Alcohol is very hydrophilic and will draw lots of water out of the air when the fuel system is vented.  The water/alcohol combination creates weak acids that attack the very chemically reactive materials found in almost all fuel system components.  The resulting corrosion is what screws everything up.  Luckily, most of our modern motors are injected and have non-vented fuel systems; but two-cycle and anything carburated is very vulnerable... more cost, add fuel conditioners for storage...  Did I thank the damned politicians?  :172:

Ethanol is great for Indy cars; alcohol burns much faster than gasoline and will support the piston speeds at extremely high RPM.  It also burns cooler (lower energy density than gasoline per unit volume) which is advantageous for race motors.  But those advantages are mute off the track!

Sorry for the rant, guys, but ethanol is one of my peeves.   :192:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
Interesting thread this. I avoid supermarket fuel, cheap isnt cheap. I use the high octane fuel and it gains more mpg.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Markdarren

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 06:03:29 PM »
So, did my next full fill up (3rd time around) using the reminder of my Tesco fuel left in the tank (1/6 fuel bar) and filled up to my usual full level using Shell regular unleaded (5/6 fuel bar). And here are the results :

1st fill up :
Tesco 4 fuel bars mixed with Shell 2 fuel bars = 38 miles, before first fuel bar disappears.

2nd fill up :
Tesco 6 fuel bars = 36 mile, before first fuel bar disappears.

3rd fill up
Shell 5 fuel bars mixed with Tesco 1 fuel bar = 43 miles, before first bar disappears.

So in summary, if you want better fuel economy / MPG DON'T USE TESCO FUEL !!!

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »
It's the same fuel.

<popcorn>

I'll have to disagree, at least in regards to fuel in the USA. Drove the same route to work for years, same style or driving, and always calculated my MPG. Many of the places that had the lowest pump prices yielded significantly lower MPG. I switched back to the stations that I knew were good and my MPG immediately went back up.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
Ah.....but even if you do get a few extra mpg, is it enough to balance the extra cost over 'supermarket' prices??  How far can we take this subject!!   :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »
I guess its a bit like a high fat diet against a low fat diet......maybe!
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Ah.....but even if you do get a few extra mpg, is it enough to balance the extra cost over 'supermarket' prices??  How far can we take this subject!!   :008:

Looking at my last car:

12 gallon tank.

Good gas (34mpg): 12gal@$2.75/gal = $33 and 408mile tank range. About 8 cents a mile.

Bad gas (26mpg): 12gal@$2.60/gal = $31.20 and 312 mile tank range.
Looks like 10 cents a mile.

Good gas is less money per mile and additionally who knows what crap is being added to the the fuel to cause such a loss in mpg.

Recent Topics