Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rally Raid Level 1 Front Fork Install - 2016 CB500F  (Read 442 times)

Offline skopelchak

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Burlington, ONT
Rally Raid Level 1 Front Fork Install - 2016 CB500F
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:59 AM »
I purchased a Level 1 front and rear kit from Rally Raid last fall for my 2016 CB500F and I am just now getting around to installing it now that the weather here in Canada is turning.

I noted in the included fitting instruction sheet that the recommended fork oil fluid level is the same for the 500X and 500F, yet the recommended fluid level in the service manual for the 2016 CB500F is different between the 2016 X and 2016 F models.

Rally Raid Instructions = 420 ml for both the 500X and 500F
Honda service manual = 480 ml for the 500F
Honda service manual = 434 ml for the 500X

Am I missing something obvious?

I also understand that it is good practice to measure fluid level distance from the top of the fork and not just rely on the amount of fluid. Does anyone know what that measurement be for the 2016 CB500F? I dont see it in the Rally Raid fitting instruction sheet. It is 130mm for the 2016 F and 177mm for the 2016 X in the Honda service manual but because the Rally Raid instructions have a different fluid amount recommendation I assume the fluid measurement is different also.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:16:08 AM by skopelchak »

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Rally Raid Level 1 Front Fork Install - 2016 CB500F
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by skopelchak [+]
I purchased a Level 1 front and rear kit from Rally Raid last fall for my 2016 CB500F and I am just now getting around to installing it now that the weather here in Canada is turning.

I noted in the included fitting instruction sheet that the recommended fork oil fluid level is the same for the 500X and 500F, yet the recommended fluid level in the service manual for the 2016 CB500F is different between the 2016 X and 2016 F models.

Rally Raid Instructions = 420 ml for both the 500X and 500F
Honda service manual = 480 ml for the 500F
Honda service manual = 434 ml for the 500X

Am I missing something obvious?

I also understand that it is good practice to measure fluid level distance from the top of the fork and not just rely on the amount of fluid. Does anyone know what that measurement be for the 2016 CB500F? I dont see it in the Rally Raid fitting instruction sheet. It is 130mm for the 2016 F and 177mm for the 2016 X in the Honda service manual but because the Rally Raid instructions have a different fluid amount recommendation I assume the fluid measurement is different also.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Hi Skopelchak - the fork oil levels/volume are correct, as the LEVEL 1 kit has the same length damper rods (and associated internal volume) as the standard X model, even though you are fitting the parts to an F bike.

This means with the RR damper rods installed, you have 5.5" travel at the front now - the same as an X model. However, if you want to retain the original F model ride-height at the front, simply slide the fork stanchions through the triple clamps by 10mm - although personally I think you'll like the way the F handles better with the extra 0.5" travel.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:26:13 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline skopelchak

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Burlington, ONT
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:33:04 AM »
Thanks so much for such a quick reply Jenny X,

I think I understand now. Do you happen to know what the distance in mm would be from the top of the fork when pouring in the final amount of fluid? The fitting instructions dont specify but my understanding is that it is better to measure than just rely on fluid volume.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:45:35 AM »

I think I understand now. Do you happen to know what the distance in mm would be from the top of the fork when pouring in the final amount of fluid? The fitting instructions dont specify but my understanding is that it is better to measure than just rely on fluid volume.

Hi Skopelchak - no worries... sorry, I don't have the oil level measurement - and to be honest, with an open-bath fork like this, it really isn't all that critical.

I would start with the recommended 420ml that RR suggest in their instructions (note this volume is based on the recommendation from TracTive who dyno tested the new damper rods and shim-valves during development, which is why the volume is different to the OEM specification), and if you find the fork is blowing through it's travel too quickly for you, add 15-20ml more per leg to reduce the air-gap. This will have the effect of slowing the travel towards the end of the stroke (maximum compression) so that it doesn't bottom out so quickly - however be aware that adding more oil/reducing the air gap is conversely going to make the damping action feel more harsh over initial and smaller/rapid frequency bumps, which is why I/we suggest you start off at 420ml, and go from there.

Have fun!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »

I think I understand now. Do you happen to know what the distance in mm would be from the top of the fork when pouring in the final amount of fluid? The fitting instructions don’t specify but my understanding is that it is better to measure than just rely on fluid volume.

just about to do mine so I'll post up my results when i'm done...it'll be a baseline, rather than a definitive. Stick your measurements up and we can compare :062:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:49:26 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
OK...so I installed the Level 1 kit and my measurement from the top of the stanchion, based on 420ml of oil, was 162mm.

The install is pretty straightforward but one issue I came across was centreing the damper rods. Instructions call for some slight pressure on the rod by using the fork spring. Took several attempts before getting the rod seated and more or less centred. It's still not bang on and since both forks were the same, I'm assuming it's a good as it gets. Once re installed I can hear one spring squeaking under compression (bike is stationary)...presumably this is due to the spring being slightly off centre and rubbing on the inside of the stanchion. I'll take it for a spin to see if it settles, but if it continues I suspect it's the damper rod not being aligned ie 'operator error' rather than design fault....Can't see any way around this problem other than using a dowel or some kind of 'sleeve on a stick' to hold the rod in situ while the retaining bolt is nipped up.
To clarify, I replaced the bushes and seals at the same time, so stuff needs to bed in...

Offline woody

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
Hi, Jonathon I look forward to hearing a review of the setup when you're happy it's all sorted. Thinking of a level 1 upgrade myself  :152:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
wasn't happy with the squeaky spring so seeing as I've got the day off, I decided to investigate...

pulled the offending fork leg (disc side) and removed the spring, spacer and valve. The damper rod was pretty much centred, as I remembered. Replaced as per, poured in some fresh oil and for now at least, the squeak is no more. Can't be sure whether I'd installed the valve/spacer skewed first time round as it's impossible to see with oil in, and tipping the oil out dislodges the valve/spacer. Using the fork spring height above the stanchion with the leg fully extended as a guide wouldn't really reveal anything since the difference, with the valve skewed and the valve seated properly would be minimal...

I'm wondering whether it's possible to dislodge the valve/spacer when cycling the fork leg up and down to get rid of air bubbles? Would be the most likely explanation as I took care when I was doing the initial install...

Anyway, I'll go for a ride and see what's what...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by woody [+]
Hi, Jonathon I look forward to hearing a review of the setup when you're happy it's all sorted. Thinking of a level 1 upgrade myself  :152:

I'll be sure to post a mini review Woody :028:

Main concern with the stock front end (2016) was the harshness on rough tarmac. On the smooth stuff it was acceptable but where the tarmac is pitted (usually on A road roundabouts and B road bends) the front end would bobble....as if the tyre (Mich. Road 5) was really over inflated. It never felt dangerous, but it didn't fill me with confidence either :151:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
OK...so I installed the Level 1 kit and my measurement from the top of the stanchion, based on 420ml of oil, was 162mm.

The install is pretty straightforward but one issue I came across was centreing the damper rods. Instructions call for some slight pressure on the rod by using the fork spring. Took several attempts before getting the rod seated and more or less centred. It's still not bang on and since both forks were the same, I'm assuming it's a good as it gets. Once re installed I can hear one spring squeaking under compression (bike is stationary)...presumably this is due to the spring being slightly off centre and rubbing on the inside of the stanchion. I'll take it for a spin to see if it settles, but if it continues I suspect it's the damper rod not being aligned ie 'operator error' rather than design fault....Can't see any way around this problem other than using a dowel or some kind of 'sleeve on a stick' to hold the rod in situ while the retaining bolt is nipped up.
To clarify, I replaced the bushes and seals at the same time, so stuff needs to bed in...

Hi Jonathan - to clarify, when you do up the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg, it pulls the damper rod centrally anyway as the base of the fork (the 'oil lock' on the fiche) is conical shaped.

Putting the spring in to put some tension on everything is so that the damper rod doesn't spin while you're doing that bottom bolt up.

Jenny x

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage