Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice needed - screen mounting rubbers  (Read 747 times)

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Advice needed - screen mounting rubbers
« on: April 07, 2019, 06:22:32 AM »
I have just had one of those experiences where you go to sleep thinking about something and wake up with an answer, but I want to check.   

My screen came off after riding for 9 hours in punishing winds in Spain.  The results may have been  exacerbated by riding for 3 hours in similar winds in the UK a month or so ago.

Yesterday in the hotel I made repairs, but could not work out why Honda would use these rubber mouting bushes.  Also why the slot that they fit into has an open end.   My fix was to use steel washers and have everything down tight .  But there was something in the back of my mind that thought that this was not right.

So I wake up this morning thinking that the rubber bushes and the open ended slot work together as a safety feature, so if your head comes down on the screen in a fall the screen will come off and not decapatete you. 

Is this thinking correct?  Looking out of my hotel window I see a Honda dealership sign, its sunday today, but I can pop there Monday. 

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Advice needed - screen mounting rubbers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:49:12 AM »
Maybe not specifically safety of the rider but to reduce likelihood of the screen plastic shattering from the mounting points.  I think it is pretty universal to mount screens 'softly'.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
I dunno what the official reason is for using wellnuts, but they do reduce vibrations. I guess the slot prevents the rider being beheaded by their own screen as the screen will come off before too much damage is done.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
I dunno what the official reason is for using wellnuts, but they do reduce vibrations. I guess the slot prevents the rider being beheaded by their own screen as the screen will come off before too much damage is done.
Seems alot of factory bikes use well nuts- maybe safety may be so you can not tighten it enough to break the shield-Givi has a max speed put on some of their shields that mount with wellnuts to keep them from poping off-The way you have it with nylock nuts should work well-I just can't tell by the picture if you put rubber washers on both sides of the shield for vibration

It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
I made some rubber washers out of some neoprene that I have with me, so have these both sides.

Interesting about the max speed that Givi sets.   The well nuts on my screen were so chewed up that there was not much left of them, hence why the screen came off and hit me in the chest, something I was not at all expecting....

Offline Oldhorse

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
Same problem here from washboard dirt roads so a Redneck fix was needed.
I really feel the well nuts are junk but realize vibrations need dampening.

I also wanted approximately an inch plus  air gap under the screen.
So I used some standard 2" long bolts reverse mounted so the bolt head catches the narrow side of the slot, then an inch of rubber fuel hose spacer, then windscreen , next is a rubber washer under the nylock nut flush to The bolt.
The nuts are only tight enough to hold but not tight enough to break the screen which is rubber isolated.
I slightly enlarged the holes in screen with a chainsaw file so the bolt is passive.
Looks "utility" but could look better with some cap nuts on the screen.

First test ride was 225 miles with 70% rough dirt roads, potholes ,ruts, washboard, and it worked great. Much more secure and reliable than original.

Should mention the screen is a modified 20" Madstad .

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldhorse [+]
Same problem here from washboard dirt roads so a Redneck fix was needed.
I really feel the well nuts are junk but realize vibrations need dampening.

I also wanted approximately an inch plus  air gap under the screen.
So I used some standard 2" long bolts reverse mounted so the bolt head catches the narrow side of the slot, then an inch of rubber fuel hose spacer, then windscreen , next is a rubber washer under the nylock nut flush to The bolt.
The nuts are only tight enough to hold but not tight enough to break the screen which is rubber isolated.
I slightly enlarged the holes in screen with a chainsaw file so the bolt is passive.
Looks "utility" but could look better with some cap nuts on the screen.

First test ride was 225 miles with 70% rough dirt roads, potholes ,ruts, washboard, and it worked great. Much more secure and reliable than original.

Should mention the screen is a modified 20" Madstad .

I spaced the screen out on my first X with tap washers.

Offline inc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]

The well nuts on my screen were so chewed up that there was not much left of them,

Generally happens when they are overtightened, I just bought a bag of them and replaced them all when I first got my bike. I got mine from Kay's on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-WELL-NUTS-RIVET-RUB-NUT-CAVITY-FAIRING-FIXINGS-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-/361830776095?var=&hash=item543ecb7d1f

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
Yes, I was reading some advice from an American screen manufacturer that said this as well.  Interestingly they also said to replace them each year, so I suppose they are considered a disposable item.

I am now in too minds to replace.   These well nuts were connecting the Palmer Bracket that I have to the original screen mounting points on the bike.  The screen mounts to the Palmer Bracket with its own well nuts, so the screen is isolated.   

I think I may pop down to the local dealer for a chat anyway just to kill time, I dont suppose they have seen a RR upgrade. 

Recent Topics