Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2013-2018 Honda CB500X  (Read 2641 times)

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
2013-2018 Honda CB500X
« on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
2019 is definitely going to be the year of the new model CB500X, but for those of us buying or keeping a 2013-2018 model, how about sharing a little about your bike.  I'll start things off with my (virtually standard) bike, but it would be great to see more -

2017 CB500X, Beowulf radiator guard, Pirelli Angel ST tyres
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: 2013-2018 Honda CB500X
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:47:56 AM »
I'm delighted with my 2018.  It will see pretty much only road use, but I am hoping that will include some long trips including out to Denver this summer.  To that end, I have added a center stand and a set of Givi bags.  I also have, though not when I took this picture, some Barkbusters primarily to protect the levers in case of a drop, and I'll be replacing the tires soon.  In the meantime, I have no 2019 envy at all. 

Offline baldeagle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Ferreria
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:59:06 AM »
I bought a 2016 about 18 months ago privately but the guy selling had posted a good,long video of the actual bike on You Tube.
A regular bike changer so it only had about 3,500 English miles on it.
It was mint,unmarked,standard except for heated grips and Honda topbox.
I fitted different pipe,bar risers,Givi taller screen,one tooth bigger front sprocket and I love it.
Approaching 70 I have been riding since 16 and my other bikes were getting a bit heavy,it was a delight to ride and have done several long trips including one of 2000kms in three days.For longer trips I do have a removable seat pad fitted,iwith the incredible fuel consumption it is perfect for my needs.
It still has the original tyres as living in Portugal dont worry too much about the wet but looking forward to changing soon.
Reading many bike mags and the price and reports on newer bikes means I have no desire to change.
Mine sounds far better with a slightly louder pipe and I do still occasionally look for a 7 th gear but thats minor.
A cracking cheap,reliable all rounder in my opinion.
Present bikes,MZes/250/2 Trophy ,CB500X and a Sym Cruisym 300 Maxi scooter plus a Suzuki Address 125.

Offline Ash500x

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500x
  • City / Town: Derby, Uk
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
Here's my little beauty!

2018 model
A few practical mods - centre stand, barkbusters, rear hugger, kappa tank bag, rad guard and homebuilt cockpit bar to mount my drift helmet cam.
Tyres - pilot road 4's, which is to best mod I've done to the bike.
Love the bike and does everything I need it to, use it for my transport to work and a lot of the time I find my self coming the long way home.
Last mod to do is heated grips as I ride all year round, but looking for some with controller built in the grips like the Hondas version, but don't want to pay Honda prices.
I like the small changes in the 2019 model, but not in a rush to run out and buy one ,when all the older models are still so good.
Cheers

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
I have a 2014 bought new in March 2015. The dealer saw no market for the CB-X and let me have it for $5499 OTD. Later that year, he had people looking to buy because they saw my bike around and the advrider forum thread.

So far I have been pleased with my ride. I have added Givi/Kappa racks with JC Whitney trunks. I use two medium size trunks for side cases and a large for my actual trunk. I also have a set of large Tusk aluminum panniers. To divert the exhaust away from my luggage, Givi included a nice exhaust deflector.

If you've seen my options plug thread, OP plugs, you'll already know I have a fuse block under the seat. I have a charging station that has a cig outlet and USB outlets. I have both a phone and GPS mounts on my handlebars. I have a voltmeter to keep a check on my electrical dodads which are only a shift indicator and previously mentioned charging station. I do have some LED offroad lights but those are powered by the front op plug so they are switched off with the bright headlight.

As far as suspension goes, I have 1 inch tall by 3/4 inch diameter PVC spacers in the forks and a '99 CBR600F4 rear shock. To protect the shock I have a CBR250R factory rear hugger and up front, I have a Fenda Extenda. To protect my but, I have the standard Seat Concepts kit installed. To keep a handle on things I have a set of Sato Racing full-length adjustable levers and Pu$$y grips which are the same as Grip Puppies. Everything is mounted on top of 30mm risers.

To make sure I keep it between the lines or ruts, I have a set of Shinko 705 dual sport tires in 120/70 and 170/60. To keep the bugs and wind at bay, I have a dark tint Honda screen made by 118Bikes in Thailand. It is the same as the Givi/Kappa unit except with a really dark tint.

Possible future upgrades are Madstad windscreen, radiator guard, custom skid plate, Race Tech suspension, full LED lighting, adding LED lighting to my trunk, custom reworked seat, and extra fuel tank. Also on the list are hand guards, custom foot pegs and rear sets with a 1 inch forward and 1 inch lower peg position. I will have to modify the shift and brake foot levers. I will install folding tips on them.

I will be installing GJ Aircraft braid SS brake lines and EBC HH pads when it's time for brake service.

I'm sure I am forgetting some things.

Steep curvy gravel.

Electrical dodads.

Offline jana

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
Here is my 2018 CB500X which I bought brand new last year.

Upgrades: centre stand, top box and windscreen.
Future upgrades: tank bag and heated grips.

I am very happy with this bike and I have absolutely no 2019 envy.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
This is my sturdy 2013.

Bought used with a number of goodies..and have added a bunch since.

Rally Raid Products: L1 suspension, skid plate, footpegs, rear brake reservoir guard.
Two Brothers exhaust
Givi rear and side racks, windscreen, kickstand foot enlarger, 46L top case
Pro Taper bars, Pro Grip 714 grips, Rox Risers
Barkbusters + bar end weights
Rhino something levers. I haven't taken a close look at them.
R&G Radiator Guard
MRA x-creen
Conti TKC70s

I have a set of braided SS lines for the front (+4") and rear that have yet to be installed.
Garmin powered mount yet to be installed. Still deciding on which fuse box to get.
Going to extend the wiring on the switchgear also so it can be properly routed.

Other goodies in the pipeline also, but I'll save that for a later date after the next transformation.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:18:50 PM by ThirtyOne »

Offline Bubbagazoo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:34 PM »
I purchased my 2018 at the Edmonton Motorcycle Show back in January. The dealer I dealt with wouldnt sell me the bike in December because he wanted me to get a better deal than he could offer before Christmas. Turns out, he was on the money. Paid $7000 Cdn out the door which when compared to what the other local dealers were asking is a steal.

So far, the only upgrade to my Gunmetal Matte Black bike has been the installation of the socket for hooking up my Gerbings gloves.

Im using my bike primarily for commuting. The weather was finally decent enough and the roads ice free last week. I havent even burned through a full tank of fuel yet. I am quite happy with the numbers the computer on the bike are telling me of 3.5 l/100 km economy (previous bike was a 1250 and was close to 6 l/100 km).

Nice, light and so far - lots of fun.
Ill think of something later

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »
Go on then... I'll join the party!

My bike is a 2014 model (new old stock, purchased in September 2015), which I bought after spending quite a bit of time on a succession of CB500Xs over the previous 12 months - including this one of course: Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch.

I fitted the Rally-Raid LEVEL 2 suspension and wheel kit to it in May 2016 (plus some 2016 model side panels and the 'Heritage' graphics kit) just prior to a big trip from California via Oregon to Arizona and back again, via sothern Utah: CBXpo ride 2016.

photo. this picture was actually taken at Loon Lake later that summer, just prior to riding the Rubicon Trail.

The next spring (2016) I bought a second set of bodywork (tank, fairing sides and white side panel inserts), and got them painted in red, with the CRF inspired black and white 'Rally' graphics fitted:

Then took it for a little trip from California to Toronto and back: Northern eXposure.

So far it's covered just under 30,000 miles (last summer I confess I got distracted by a small BMW you see), and let's just say there is no chance of me selling this bike any time soon... it totally rocks for adventure riding in North America.

Of course that is not to say I might also buy a new 2019 model to go with it too ;o)

Jenny x

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:04:35 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »
This is great, keep 'em coming!! 

Great to see different upgrades and additions, and a full Rally Raid bike, but we don't have an orange one or a 'tan' one yet.....  :152:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Recent Topics