Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Under the seat toolkit  (Read 811 times)

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
Under the seat toolkit
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:11 AM »
While in the garage this afternoon, I thought to photograph my under-seat toolkit. Seeing my X still has road tires on mag rims, I didn't feel the need to include any tire removal tools quite yet, but I did regard it prudent to include the necessary hardware to be able to remove both wheels. In a previous life I took on a sidewall flat and could only get it fixed if the wheel was off the bike. I've been scarred by that experience ever since.

My selection of this under the seat toolkit was inspired by Jenny Morgan. and should get me through most local situations. To make everything fit, I dremel'd out a couple of plastic nubs that I hope were extraneous. I still have room for some stubby wrenches that aren't included in these photos.

Motion Pro Cordura Pasty
Additional sockets of 8mm, 14mm, 17mm (with adapter).
3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 allen wrenches (I can't remember why I put an 8mm in the kit, so I included it for now).
Puncture Repair Kit
Cycle Pump
Leatherman
14mm wrench that's not buried (for loose mirrors)
Spare Fuses. 7.5A regular sized for the pigtail (trickle charger and CyclePump) and 2A mini for a Garmin GPS
19mm wrench
24 mm Motion Pro combi tyre spoon
Motion Pro 3/8" adapter
13mm ratchet wrench for nylock on rear wheel
Hex Key for front wheel removal

I had most of these items before I bought my X, but I'm still always looking for excuses to buy more tools. :)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:47:51 AM by Twempie »

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Under the seat toolkit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
Wow! You got your BestRest pump under there! You do a bunch of plastic trimming?  I got a small metric set and other goodies. Can't get my Kriega tool roll to fit though and didn't think my pump would fit. I have the same one as you.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
Thanks  :037: this will help me build my own toolkit  :062: Am gone start using my X to commute and feel this is a must  :306:

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Wow! You got your BestRest pump under there! You do a bunch of plastic trimming?  I got a small metric set and other goodies. Can't get my Kriega tool roll to fit though and didn't think my pump would fit. I have the same one as you.
I used a dremel to remove the star shaped post that sticks up right where the CyclePump goes. Also on the right side, where the Leatherman and longer tools are located, I cut away some extraneous plastic.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »
surprising how much stuff you can fit with a Dremel.... :008:
I fitted a relay distribution box where you're pump bag sits...used the start-shaped spigot as a mounting hole for a clamping bracket,
Can squeeze a Kryptonite New York Mini U lock under there, plus some basic tools. I carry two U locks just to piss thieves off...means you can either lock both wheels or daisy chain both locks to another object (preferably immovable)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:54:17 PM by Jonathan »

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
I used a dremel to remove the star shaped post that sticks up right where the CyclePump goes. Also on the right side, where the Leatherman and longer tools are located, I cut away some extraneous plastic.

:062: I've taken a knife to that area and cleaned it up a bit too. Looks like I should do more trimming.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
:062: I've taken a knife to that area and cleaned it up a bit too. Looks like I should do more trimming.

We'll all find out in the fullness of time that that plastic bit is/was essential  :745:

they'll be advertising X's for sale in years to come "100% original, complete with plastic bit...."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:00:03 PM by Jonathan »

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
We'll all find out in the fullness of time that that plastic bit is/was essential  :745:

they'll be advertising X's for sale in years to come "100% original, complete with plastic bit...."

:008: "Rare vintage 2013 CB500X with seat tray fully intact."

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Very neat Twempie ;o)

for info. an 8mm allen key would be used to remove the footrest hanger bolts if needed, but that's about it.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Very neat Twempie ;o)
for info. an 8mm allen key would be used to remove the footrest hanger bolts if needed, but that's about it.
Jx
Well that clears that up, so out goes the 8mm allen, thanks Jenny.

I forgot to add 10 and 12 mm stubby wrenches, there's still room and that should cover it.

Recent Topics