Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New guy...looking at CB500X  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Ohio Rider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: New guy...looking at CB500X
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
All good things to hear.  It's going to be in the low 70's today with no rain.  So I'm going to ride to another dealership today and ask when they'll get one in...and give them my name/number.  They're also a Yamaha dealer, so I'll inquire about the MT07 too.

I don't think I'll go for hard cases....at least initially.  I'll go for bags, and try to match size and how many...with what kind of trips I'll take.  I live just outside central Ohio, and I have a friend that lives in Ann Arbor Michigan.  We like to camp together, and he's been to the upper peninsula of Michigan for camping and he wants me to come along.  And I'd like to ride the bike there.  (ride to his home, spend the night, then Ann Arbor to UP on the second day...then reverse on the way home)  Buy he'll be driving, so we can put all the camping gear in his car, so I won't need bags for this year.   

I appreciate all the responses. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:49:53 PM by Ohio Rider »

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samuttodd [+]
Rumor has it that the cb500 series bikes have the exact same engine as the rebel 500.   

You could probably get a decent price for that rebel in June,  as folks will be getting back out after the lousy winter you guys have had.   Sieze the moment.   
The 500 rebel is not the same engine-it's close but tuned for more low end and less top end it loses about 5hp on top-the 2019 X should make up the low end difference
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
I test rode a Yamaha MT07 when it first came out and found it just a bit too frantic - and I was riding a 650 at the time!  Magazines often rave about it being able to wheelie in second and third gears, and that just tells me the target owner is not me!!  Also speaking to owners at the Yamaha open day, the best selling accessory was the comfort seat...... :027:

Adventure bikes of all sorts are popular because the riding position is so comfortable, and that is part of what makes them so easy to ride, it is just effortless!!  I go out with some friends on all sorts of other bikes, and they all say how relaxed and comfortable I look.  Add to that the amazing economy of the 500X, and it really is a fantastic bike, big enough to feel like a real bike, yet light enough to move around easily, I'm 66 next month, 5'10"(+ a little bit) and 12 stone(+ a little bit, again), and the X fits like a glove.

If you are a road rider, any model will suit you, (even off-road riders on 2013-2018 bikes have done some amazing trips) and the only downside I can think of would be that the original tyres aren't the best. The seat comfort improves with age - at first after about an hour I was getting a little bit uncomfortable, but now I can ride all day.

It really is a gem!!  :152:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:08:00 PM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Ohio Rider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Magazines often rave about it being able to wheelie in second and third gears, and that just tells me the target owner is not me!!

This is what I've been wondering.  More and more, I'm starting to think the MT07 may not be the best bike.  It's probably the best naked bike...but not the best for me.  Of those 'go fast' videos I've mentioned....they also like to do the wheelies in 2nd gear.  NOT for me. 

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 04:43:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ohio Rider [+]
This is what I've been wondering.  More and more, I'm starting to think the MT07 may not be the best bike.  It's probably the best naked bike...but not the best for me.  Of those 'go fast' videos I've mentioned....they also like to do the wheelies in 2nd gear.  NOT for me.

I was changing from a 'naked' 650 which I really liked, and thought about it for a year or so, I rented a 650 Versys on holiday, rode it for a week and loved the adventure style of bike. 

The 500X felt like a slightly smaller, lighter Versys which suited my (age related!) needs  - I dropped into the Honda dealer and when he asked if I had bought anything yet, and I said no, he replied, "come on let's get you fixed up, the new colours are in".  BAM, I bought my sword silver bike that day!!  :062:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline DFavata

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 Honda CB500
  • City / Town: Latham
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »
Hello all, new guy from upstate Ny here...Heres my thoughts on a Honda CB500X..Ive been riding bikes on and off since 1982 have owned the following 3 Harley Sportsters, 883,1200C and XLCH, a 2014 Honda CTX700, 1982 Honda MB5, 2016 Indian Scout 60, 2017 Yamaha XSR 900, 2001 Suzuki Marauder, 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard,1969 BSA Thunderbolt, 1967 Triumph 500 CC Daytona  etc and a few others  The most powerfull bikes Yamaha and Indian had a rotten ride and pissed off my back, The HDs were fun but heavy and not something you want to drop. The CB500X 2018 that I bought a few weeks back is damn near perfect for me. Im 5 ft 9 190 pounds 30 inseem. I can easily flat foot this bike, it handles so easy and balances well at slow speeds, the power is there when you need it,the gas mileage is high at 70 mpgs so far   Im getting 300 miles per tank,the suspension works well enough for me and seems to deal with most any bump I can find. I can safely say, Im not a beginner but would easily endorse this for any beginner that can reach the ground with both feet! Thanks to Honda for making a bike for me that does just what it says and it does it well!!

Offline Ohio Rider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 12:46:30 AM »
I went to a dealership today....one I've never been to before.  We talked about the CB500x....we talked about my Rebel 300's vibration. I told him I have nothing to compare it too, as I've never ridden any other motorcycle.  He said a parallel twin will be so much smoother.  Then he let me ride a used Kawasaki Versys 650.  Finally, I get to see if other bikes vibrates as much.  The Kawasaki was fantastic!  I was nervous about it being so much bigger than the Rebel, but it was SO SMOOTH.  I was able to get it up to 65mph...and the seat had NO vibration...the grips had just a little (you had to look for it) and the foot pegs had just a little.  A guy could ride this all day!  I could not believe the difference.  ...and the seat was better.  It didn't feel like I was sitting on a 2x4.

I should have asked him if he had a used CB500 of any kind I could test ride.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage