Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windscreen Buffeting from Givi D1121  (Read 1500 times)

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
Re: Windscreen Buffeting from Givi D1121
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »
Been through this quite a few times on this and other forums.
Base cause: Wind buffetting is caused by Vortex shedding from the screen ( in this case). The flow of air around the screen creates a vortex ( look it up. Many good explanations) behind the screen that then lets go and travels ( relatively) backwards. The pressure vectors are of course all over the place so push in all sorts of directions when they cross you.
The solution is either to stop the vorticies forming in the first place or create a standing vortex that stays attached ( Kamm spoiler).
Things to try:
Spacer upper screen: Add a small screen at the top of the existing one spaced about 1 to 2 cm from the main screen with a few cm overlap. Try both infront or behind. There is quite a few pics on this forum of this arrangement.
Space the main screen so there is flow from underneath the leading edge up the inside of the screen. You will have to play with angles. At motorcycle speeds 1 to 2 cm will usually do it. You are trying to get a linear flow to the top , but any reasonable flow will reduce the vortex intensity.
Put a tank bag on that is high enough to make the flow around the screen stay more linear ( ie stay attached to the line between the screen and the back of the rider). This can be useful and very effective.
If you wear and adventure helmet, like I often do ( Arai XD4) , cut the visor shorter. You really only need it long enough to keep the sun out of your eyes on the road, not protect you from branches and mud. It helps reduce the "snap" when you turn your head or the vortex hits it.
The pic below shows a spaced visor fitted to a modified Cagiva raptor air splitter I made. Note the spacing between the screen and the air form. This setup has zero buffetting and very little body and helmet pressure.

Offline ivanc

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by SWilson92 [+]
Hello fellow owners,

Currently riding with a Givi D1121 touring screen and an Arai TourX4 lid - but theres soo much buffeting going on! Im 5ft 9 and the wind seems to pick up just under the visor!

Has anyone had a similar scenario? And if so, what did you do to solve it? Could anyone recommend a slightly taller screen?

Any answers will be great!

Thanks, Sonny :)

Hello, I am pretty much as tall as you, I use an X-CREEN-SPORT from MRA and I have no buffeting on my face, only feel something by my shoulder blades. You need to play around a bit with the positions.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Very nice. What did you use for the spacers?

I tried cutting up a pen but the plastic split. I know some others are using washers, but would prefer to find something more on the rubber side of things so the screen doesn't get any cracks.

Sorry, I missed this at the time. I think I used some spare fuel hose (reinforced rubber pipe) to make the spacers.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
Sorry, I missed this at the time. I think I used some spare fuel hose (reinforced rubber pipe) to make the spacers.

Tap washers work, and they're rubber.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by ivanc [+]
Hello, I am pretty much as tall as you, I use an X-CREEN-SPORT from MRA and I have no buffeting on my face, only feel something by my shoulder blades. You need to play around a bit with the positions.

As a result of following ThirtyOne's trials, I put an x-creen-sport on my 2018 original screen--I'm also 5'9"--and I am very pleased with the result.  I do have mine basically vertical rather than following the angle of the screen, but they are so easy to adjust and they seem very well made.  It doesn't get rid of all the wind, but it eliminates that chattering wind that blurs one's vision at 55 mph and above.  I highly recommend it.

Offline RDW

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500x
  • City / Town: Rogue River
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
Same thing here . It's not perfect, but it's a big Improvement..

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
On my 2016, I replaced the stock screen with a California Scientific screen. Easy 10 minute installation with the same bolts. No more buffeting, and smooth sailing. I can even hear the engine now. I'm 6 foot and about 180 lbs. and see over it, so it is not in my field of vision.

I've taken two 2000 mile+ trips with this bike, one with the stock, and one with the California Scientific screen, and the second one was much more enjoyable.

2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage