Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight vent?  (Read 401 times)

Offline pmason0

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
Headlight vent?
« on: May 10, 2019, 12:48:02 AM »
I was replacing a broken turn signal (right one) and while doing this there was a small (1/8 ID) U shaped tube that looked like it had a filter material in side it. It couldn't be much more than an inch long.
Searching the parts diagram I can't figure out where this goes, would there be some kind of vent for the headlight?
How critical is this part, I really don't want to have to pull the whole front cowling off the bike if I don't have to.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Headlight vent?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:48:02 AM »
Any chance you can post a photo? I'm not following exactly.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:51:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by pmason0 [+]
I was replacing a broken turn signal (right one) and while doing this there was a small (1/8 ID) U shaped tube that looked like it had a filter material in side it. It couldn't be much more than an inch long.
Searching the parts diagram I can't figure out where this goes, would there be some kind of vent for the headlight?
How critical is this part, I really don't want to have to pull the whole front cowling off the bike if I don't have to.

it sounds like an anti condensation trap...most modern car headlights have them. stops condensation forming on the inside of the lens...haven't spotted it on mine but it'll just be a push fit somewhere on the back of the casing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:53:39 AM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:56:22 AM »
eg.

Offline pmason0

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
Here are some pictures

Jonathan, yes that is what I'm guessing it is, but can't see where it goes on the headlight.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:16:24 PM by pmason0 »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 02:32:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by pmason0 [+]
Here are some pictures

Jonathan, yes that is what I'm guessing it is, but can't see where it goes on the headlight.

get behind/under it with a torch....you'll find a spigot sticking out of the headlamp casing somewhere....Post a pic if poss when you're done as this may be a common problem that no one has noticed yet...I've dropped several grommets and washers down into the fairing when I've been messing with things....some have fallen out of their own accord, some I've rescued with a bit of finger-origami and creative use of 'a long, thin thing bent to shape', some may still be lurking.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:33:35 AM by Jonathan »

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
Its  a breather, because as the light heats up it expands the air....gotta go somewhere, and likewise when it cools it takes in a sniff of air too.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
As I recall there are two of them on the 2013-15 headlights, towards the top - one each up behind where the points of the headlight are at the top (although I may be confusing this with the XT660Z headlight, which is also a similar shape, where those pointy bits are running lights) - either way, it's a bit of a faff to get behind there and I wouldn't say it's essential to replace them straight away...

I'd stash them in a 'things to do' box in the garage and wait until the next time you need to get behind there.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage