Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Virginia to Iowa and back (2600 miles roundtrip)  (Read 392 times)

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Re: Virginia to Iowa and back (2600 miles roundtrip)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
While I absolutely love my CB500X, and have owned singles to liter bikes, you can't put a price on that glorious feeling of thrust when you roll on the throttle in a liter bike. It's a feeling reserved for high dollar sports cars and, fortunately, relatively inexpensive motorbikes.

I test rode a Yamaha MT-09 a month or so ago. Okay, not quite a litre bike, but 115bhp and similar weight to the CB500X.

Felt like a ridiculous amount of power. I can see the appeal, but in reality, the CB500X has enough power 99% of the time.

Anyway, sounds like you had a fantastic trip, Harry 😎 Great that the police officer used discretion on your little speeding incident 👍

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
Hey Folks,

The weather when I left Virginia was 75F, but by the time I got into northern Missouri, it was 45F!!! Wow, I was cold. I had removed the thermal liners from the pants and jacket, and had to stop and buy a fleece jacket to put underneath, then put my rainpants over my riding pants to keep warm enough. I didn't expect that at all. Apparently it had been 80F the previous week!

The only rain I met was on the last day when it was really pouring in West Virginia. I mean heavy, heavy rain through which you can only see the taillights of the car or truck in front of you. I tucked in between two trucks who 'sheparded' me through the state. It was pretty amazing. The truck ahead kept up a safe pace, me fixated on the trailer's lights, and the truck behind kept a safe distance back. We did about 100 miles that way.

Those are SHAD 23 liter side cases on the bike. I like them a lot, because they open from the top, and while they don't hold a ton, they are very useful for a rainsuit, jackets, sweaters, camera, lock, bungie cords, etc. They won't fit a full face helmet though. The tank bag is a magnetic ChaseHarper which I really love. Plenty of room for glasses, maps, phone, wallet, fruit, granola bars, etc. The red dry bag is an Aquaquest 50L bag, and everything inside was perfectly dry even after riding the whole day in heavy rain. The engine protection bars are Givi bars that I painted with yellow Rustoleum. I think they really make the bike look sharp.

The roads I took were "rural" roads shown on maps in light grey squiggles. The CB500 has PLENTY of power for these roads, and handles so well, I was grinning ear to ear as I went into 'S' curves with a warning sign saying "25 MPH", and I'm doing 50 through them. So much fun.

Ahhh... the roads of southern Kentucky!

When I did get on a divided highway (can't avoid it sometimes), the CB500X would easily do 75MPH into a headwind. Passing was no problem. I'm continually amazed by this bike.

I spent a total of $110.19 for 42 gallons of gasoline over a 2600 mile trip. That's 62 miles per gallon and $.04 a mile. So efficient.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:15:13 PM by harryhendo »
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Lovely looking bike  :306: Harry, sounds like you had a great trip :152: looks like a good luggage setup you have there, think I need to invest in a some sort of dry bag

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »
I like three things about the aquaquest dry bag, one is that everything stays dry even in really heavy rain, second are the two loops on each side of the bag that allow one to bungie cord the bag to the bike without crushing everything inside (as would happen if I had to loop a bungie cord over the top of the bag), and three the reflective strips on the bag that show up well at night. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I wasn't able to find a competing bag with those features. Most dry bags are just stuff sacks with a roll top, but I prefer the duffel design.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)

Recent Topics