Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What issues to look for in a used 2013 CB500X?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
Re: What issues to look for in a used 2013 CB500X?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
Good points - original tyres and chain were rubbish. Expect to change them if it hasn't been done already!

It's not even expect to change them - you really want to change them!
Hawk

Offline war2112

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 05:41:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Britchris [+]
I ride a 2013 CB500X.
I've had it since new (Purchased with zero miles in 2015)
I've had no issues with oil leaks, valve adjustments or anything else.
I follow the manufacturers service schedule as well as performing regular PM's myself.
They're good, solid machines so long as they are maintained correctly.
(They're also the best color....)
Good luck.

Agree on the color big time! I also have the 2013 in the matte black and it rocks. I get comments all the time.

Chris C

Offline ButchV

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cook, MN
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 05:08:19 AM »
I haven't posted on this site for a few years.  I can't remember when.  Anyway I got sick and only put 1300 miles on my 2013 CB500X.   I put all the carbon fiber looking stuff on the bike, factory saddle bags, center stand, taller windshield.   I've taken it for spins but for only a few miles.  I might part with it if I can't ride it much longer.  But it sure has been fun.  I moved down from cruisers to the X.  I wish I was abit younger and healthier so I could ride more.  It's been fun to own though even though I haven't put many miles on it. 

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
I bought a second-hand 2013 two years ago with 45,000 km on it. I just sold it with 74,000 km on it to buy a 2019, which is taller and a better fit for my 6'2" height. The bike itself has been perfect and I'd recommend it to anyone. But watch out for the first owners maintenance and choice of accessories! In 29,000 km, I had two serious problems, neither of which were caused by Honda, but by the unintended actions of the previous owner.

Washing: He took the bike to a (Thailand) motorbike wash, and all these bike-wash places use pressure-washers. Six months after I bought the bike, the rear wheel bearings had rusted so badly the wheel nearly seized and the hub was damaged. So be sure your bike has never seen a pressure washer.

Accessorizing: He took the bike to an accessory shop which installed crash bars. The CB500X does not have a full frame, unlike, say, the Africa Twin, so most crash bars, including the ones that were mounted on my former bike, attach to the highly-stressed engine mounting bolts. Just weeks after I bought the bike, when I was riding it hard, to keep up with a pack of 1200 cc BMWs, the lower left engine mounting bolt snapped off (see my first post on this site). My hand went numb from the vibration! Six months later, the lower right engine mounting bolt snapped off (see my second post on this site). Both bolts had to be drilled out and replace with longer bolts with nuts on the other end. I removed the crash bars and--in order to have something to hold my accessory lighting--I installed only an upper crash bar from Hepco & Becker, which is made in Thailand and sold, installed, and guaranteed by Honda Thailand. So beware any accessories not supported by Honda which could impair the integrity of the bike, especially anything which is attached to the engine mounting bolts.

Trade-in time:

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
Leaky water pump could be another point to check before buying CB500X/F.

Regards,

Timur

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 01:56:36 AM »
See the old wheel bearing thread. My 2014 had one (right side) of two rear wheel bearings go bad prematurely.  It was source from China. The other wheel bearing and the driven flange bearing were from Japan and still in good shape. I had only used low pressure spray to wash up 'til then. Now I just sponge bath it.

Otherwise ensure it had timely oil changes and valve checks.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage