Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What issues to look for in a used 2013 CB500X?  (Read 942 times)

Offline ehinrj01

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
What issues to look for in a used 2013 CB500X?
« on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:35 AM »
Driving 4 hours this saturday to look at a used 2013 CB500X (non-abs).  What are some of the possible issues that I should be on the look out for?  Any questions that I should ask specific to this bike?  What components need close inspection?

Here are the details given:  5500 mi, 2nd owner, USB power, taller windshield, KAKO cruise control, fluids changed twice per season, good tires

Thanks in advance for your help!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:07:56 AM by ehinrj01 »

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: What issues to look for in a used 2013 CB500X?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:50:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by ehinrj01 [+]
Driving 4 hours this saturday to look at a used 2013 CB500X (non-abs).  What are some of the possible issues that I should be on the look out for?  Any questions that I should ask specific to this bike?  What components need close inspection?

Here are the details given:  5500 mi, 2nd owner, USB power, taller windshield, KAKO cruise control, fluids changed twice per season, good tires

Thanks in advance for your help!
Only a few things I can think of- first there was a recall on the rocker arm bolts leaking oil-they should have been replaced-second it seems the valves may need to be adjusted sooner but that is only talk on the forums really have not confirmed it and at 5,500 miles your still a long way to go and some seem to shift and down shift a little harder that's all I can think of-should be in the $3,500 range if in good shape
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
I ride a 2013 CB500X.
I've had it since new (Purchased with zero miles in 2015)
I've had no issues with oil leaks, valve adjustments or anything else.
I follow the manufacturers service schedule as well as performing regular PM's myself.
They're good, solid machines so long as they are maintained correctly.
(They're also the best color....)
Good luck.
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:11:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Another 13 owner here. These bikes are pretty stout, all years, so you'll be fine with it as long as you do the normal inspection that you do on any bike. Check for damage, leaks and wear.

Best of luck.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Britchris [+]
They're good, solid machines so long as they are maintained correctly.
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
These bikes are pretty stout, all years, so you'll be fine with it as long as you do the normal inspection that you do on any bike. Check for damage, leaks and wear.

I'd agree with the above. Wheel bearings and head bearings tended not to have much grease on early bikes, but at 5k they're unlikely to be a problem. It should be a lot of bike for the money, if it's been as well maintained as they say.

Good luck!

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
look at both footpegs from above...they should be in line. Check for drop damage...Otherwise, the only real issue of note is corrosion on fasteners and the fork stanchions around the bottom yoke (triple tree). It should start on the button, from cold with no hesitation, rev to about 2000 then settle down after a few seconds. you may here a slight rattle on over run when you rev it....this is normal

brake and clutch levers should feel fairly light and positive....the engine note may change slightly with the clutch pulled in on tickover....this is also normal.

if the PO has fitted a cruise control, ask why....it's a very light throttle so he/she may have been using the bike for longer highway stints.....not a problem in anyway provide the oil was changed sooner than recommended...

Parts for these bikes are cheap and readily available so if some of the bodywork looks a bit scratty, use it as leverage on the price but don't be put off by a few scratches, unless it betrays more serious damage. If the bike looks straight from all angles, chances are it is....steering should feel light and predictable, the bike should coast in a straight line with no hands on the bars....gear changes can be a little clicky until you get used to the box, assuming you go for a test ride

Good luck with your search  :028:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:54:38 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Herman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
Could well be the original tyres still which I would probably budget for changing now and with all usb ports it should be ignition live not permanent live unless it has an isolator. Sounds like a goodun. 

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 02:51:31 AM »
From my understanding, the rocker arm issue only affected a certain number of early production '13 models and should have been corrected under recall or warranty. Many reported needing a valve adjustment. The 2013 owner's manual listed the valve adjustment for 600 miles and then every 16,000 after that. 2014 started the 16,000 mile adjustments with no need at 600 miles. A few of us has had tight valves well before then. A couple of us have had running issues because of it. There was a starter relay recall. I can't remember if it went back to 2013 or only 2014-15.

Offline TheGnome

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Fredericton
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
I'm riding a 2013 CB500x (ABS) I bought used in 2016 (with 1100km on the odo) and still loving it.

Apart from obvious stuff like drop damage, I have only two suggestions.

1) The stock tires are rubbish.  And if they're from 2013 they're dangerous, regardless of how much tread they may have left.

2) Check for chain stretch.
Far off in the unfashionable backwaters of Eastern Canada

Offline Gills

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by TheGnome [+]
1) The stock tires are rubbish.  And if they're from 2013 they're dangerous, regardless of how much tread they may have left.

2) Check for chain stretch.

Good points - original tyres and chain were rubbish. Expect to change them if it hasn't been done already!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage