Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain slack adjustment made by my mechanic...  (Read 576 times)

Offline Yph

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lille
Chain slack adjustment made by my mechanic...
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have a litte concern. I brought my bike yesterday to my mechanic in order to change the tires. Before I brought the bike, i checked the chain slack, it was around 40mm.

When I got the bike back, the guy explained that he also adjusted the chain a little bit. I asked him "how much", he said that he liked adjusting the chain as it should be, that the instructions saying 35 - 45mm are not right everytime... Ok, I told myself he must have been adjusting it to 35mm, maybe a bit less, like 32 ou 33...

So, I rode the bike home.

I checked the chain slack, it was f****** tight ! Like 28 mm, and with me on the bike it's more like 20 mm.

I don't feel comfortable with the idea that the chain is too tight... What you guys think about it ? Can I ride safe like this or would it be best to have it back at 35 - 40 mm ?

Thanks a lot !

Yph  :821:

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Chain slack adjustment made by my mechanic...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
Why would a mechanic NOT follow the manufactures instructions  :087:

Sounds like he could not be bothered to set it up properly.   I would immediately set it to 35 - 40.  But before you do, just check if the chain is aligned or not.   This will give a further indication of if he is a cowboy or not.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
I had similar (i.e. the workshop adjusted the chain tighter than I had measured) - I ran the bike home and re-set the chain to 35-40 and feel much more comfortable.
It isn't something I want to take further with the workshop as no damage or injury resulted and I'm sure their measurement method is different to mine. E.g. how much pressure do you put on the chain to determine the limits?

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:36:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yph [+]
Hello everyone,

I have a litte concern. I brought my bike yesterday to my mechanic in order to change the tires. Before I brought the bike, i checked the chain slack, it was around 40mm.

When I got the bike back, the guy explained that he also adjusted the chain a little bit. I asked him "how much", he said that he liked adjusting the chain as it should be, that the instructions saying 35 - 45mm are not right everytime... Ok, I told myself he must have been adjusting it to 35mm, maybe a bit less, like 32 ou 33...

So, I rode the bike home.

I checked the chain slack, it was f****** tight ! Like 28 mm, and with me on the bike it's more like 20 mm.

I don't feel comfortable with the idea that the chain is too tight... What you guys think about it ? Can I ride safe like this or would it be best to have it back at 35 - 40 mm ?

Thanks a lot !

Yph  :821:

You can adjust chain slack according to your weight/luggage etc. 35mm isn't set in stone, but it's a good baseline for an average rider plus riding gear. A couple of mm one way or the other won't destroy the chain or the countershaft...

when you come to readjust it, make sure you run the chain throughout its length to find the tightest spot and set your slack at this point...even low mileage chains in decent nick have slacker/tighter spots
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:41:32 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Yph

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lille
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
Why would a mechanic NOT follow the manufactures instructions  :087:

Sounds like he could not be bothered to set it up properly.   I would immediately set it to 35 - 40.  But before you do, just check if the chain is aligned or not.   This will give a further indication of if he is a cowboy or not.

That's a good question. I have absolutely no idea why he tightened the chain that much ! I've checked the alignment, it's good. The guy was highly recommanded by a few friends... He still did a good job with the tires and the alignment.

*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
You can adjust chain slack according to your weight/luggage etc. 35mm isn't set in stone, but it's a good baseline for an average rider plus riding gear. A couple of mm one way or the other won't destroy the chain or the countershaft...

when you come to readjust it, make sure you run the chain throughout its length to find the tightest spot and set your slack at this point...even low mileage chains in decent nick have slacker/tighter spots

I'm clearly going to readjust it. Almost 10mm below manufactures instruction seems too tight to me. Thanks for the advice ! I'll readjust making sure I use the tightest spot of the chain.

Online oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
E.g. how much pressure do you put on the chain to determine the limits?

What I do is apply the maximum amount of pressure that I can apply with one thumb. I'm not sure that is the correct answer, but at least I'm consistent. 

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »
I'd stick with the factory settings: 35-45 mm slack otherwise it is too loose or too tight.
There is a reason that those specs are noted on the sticker above the chain.
Remember that the slack is measured with the bike on the sidestand.
Good luck,
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: bath
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
"Why would a mechanic NOT follow the manufactures instructions" ...ooo yes please thats an easy one to answer
A mechanic is practiced at fixing things, that is, based on experience and if your experience does not extend past the UJM or sports bike ...
An engineer is an analyst bent on understanding and is prone to look things up
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »

Great answer hec  :152:   I think Honda was trying to take the  "not" experienced mechanic into consideration when they printed the chain adjustment instruction on the swing arm  :745:
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 05:29:47 AM »
When I took in my bike took in to my local Honda dealer for them to have a look at something for me, the mechanic noted that my chain needed adjusting (was actually going to do it myself that weekend) he adjusted my chain to about 25mm of play as well.

When I had a chat with him, he recommended between 25-35mm. I forgot what the manual said, so didn't question it at the time. Maybe there is something in it...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage