Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike won't start and only abs light pops up on dash  (Read 249 times)

Offline Daemon_phoenix

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Bike won't start and only abs light pops up on dash
« on: May 19, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »
When i tried to take my 2013 CB500X out for a ride this morning it wouldn't start. At first i noticed the killswitch was on and thought that was the problem. Afterwards i tried some more but even the dash wouldnt turn on properly, it started it's boot up cycle then stopped a few times and afterwards only the abs light stayed on. At no point in all this did the bike even make a hint at starting up when i'd press the ignition.

I didn't have time to check further since i was late for work but it's worrying me to no end even though it might be something silly .

Offline oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
Re: Bike won't start and only abs light pops up on dash
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
Maybe it wasn't in neutral or the clutch pulled in and the side stand was down?

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Daemon_phoenix [+]
When i tried to take my 2013 CB500X out for a ride this morning it wouldn't start. At first i noticed the killswitch was on and thought that was the problem. Afterwards i tried some more but even the dash wouldnt turn on properly, it started it's boot up cycle then stopped a few times and afterwards only the abs light stayed on. At no point in all this did the bike even make a hint at starting up when i'd press the ignition.

I didn't have time to check further since i was late for work but it's worrying me to no end even though it might be something silly .

This sounds like a corroded/bad connection somewhere or possibly a bad battery. Check the simple stuff first before moving onto the more challenging trouble shooting.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
This sounds like a corroded/bad connection somewhere or possibly a bad battery. Check the simple stuff first before moving onto the more challenging trouble shooting.

This. If you put a volt meter on an old battery, it will sometimes show that you have 12v, but can get a false reading. Try a different battery if you have access to one.

Another step I'd take is to try to bump start it. If it starts, you know it's something to do with the starting system (button, battery, etc.) If it refuses to start, then there's something intentionally preventing the bike from starting.

Recent Topics