Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vibration - again.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Vibration - again.
« on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I came to a stop and the next thing I'm looking up at the sky. My left foot went into a dip and I was down before I knew what was happening. Tiny scuff on the left bar end and corner of the H&B engine bars.

But I next ride out I noticed a much increased 5000 rpm vibration. I could hear it almost like a saw, just around 5000.

So, on paddock stand, off with side panels, loosen all engine fixings. Re-torque. Test. Perfect.

But what I did notice is how loose the front of the side panels fit. Two pegs in plastic holes and no grommet. I also noticed red dust on side panel, next to the front two pegs. I tap it and there is a "tinny" noise. I reckon that the added vibration caused the front to amplify the 5000 resonance.

I wonder why no grommets in the front two holes ?
Brian.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
Re: Vibration - again.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I wonder why no grommets in the front two holes ?
I assume you mean these ones (circled in blue):

I think there should be grommets in the holes, but they don't hold the pegs very well and fall out quite easily. I find the front of my side panels tend to want to spring out and need pushed home quite regularly.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
I think there should be grommets in the holes, but they don't hold the pegs very well and fall out quite easily. I find the front of my side panels tend to want to spring out and need pushed home quite regularly.

Those are the ones. The workshop manual is very poor on these holes, I can't detect a grommet in the drawings.

I'd be surprised if I've lost 4 grommets without spotting one falling out.
Brian.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »
There should be rubber grommets into which the plastic pegs on the panel fit snugly. If there is no grommet, then the plastic peg on the panel is just floating within the opening and not being held by anything. Thus the looseness of the panel. These grommets should be nice and tight in their holes and then hold the panel's peg very snugly.
If you have no grommets there, then the panel is essentially being held on by the little velcro strip just to the rear of the grommet locations. So that would cause the panels to vibrate quite a bit.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
"A couple of weeks ago I came to a stop and the next thing I'm looking up at the sky. My left foot went into a dip and I was down before I knew what was happening."

That happened to me too a few weeks ago. I was coming to a stop in some town in Missouri and put my right foot down at a stoplight. The road surface was very uneven, and the bike was up on a ridge in the middle of the lane, and my foot came down into a trough on the right side of the lane. This happens a lot in hot climates where the asphalt heaves and is pounded by heavy trucks. Anyway, my right foot hit nothing, and bang, I was on the tarmac. It was so embarrassing. Thankfully the engine guards took the hit and nothing was broken except my pride. And also thankfully, the CB weighs only 400 pounds, so I was able to lift it. When my old BMW R1100R fell over, it laid there until two guys helped me right it. That thing was really heavy.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
 hilldweller I am glad you did not get hurt and we have all done that. I use to ride with a girl she was a really good and fast rider. We called her Stop and Flop I think she just would forget to put her feet down. I bought the 650 V Strom from her it was all scratched up from her S/F. One time she went down real slow at a stop sign I watch her and though again. I got off picked the bike and said are you ok?  My wrist hurts, I said did you hit it? She said I tried to catch myself. It was a slow-mo drop, two broke bones in her wrist. She called me the next day to say I had to go last night it was really hurting. Can you get my bike and bring it home it is at the ER.
So a happy my friend that you good and found your bike has lost its rubber. Yeah those should be there I just pulled everything off to clean the winter crap off and they are rubber in those holes.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for sympathy - it's the pride that really hurts.

So, I'll go looking for some rubber.

On the other hand, I think the missing rubber showed me the engine needed re-seating.
Brian.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
I find those grommets tend to push out when you reassemble the side panels so now start there and work my way back.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 05:43:07 PM »
And the answer is.....

11344-MB0-000

And I found one near the bike the other day, it looked too small, but it wasn't.

I fitted it and the peg pushed it through. I refitted it, smear of silicon grease on the peg and it went in like, well you can work that out.
Brian.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Next episode.......

So I get on the bike and ride to the north of England's biggest Honda dealer. No grommets !

BUT the vibration is back !!!

I call in a local ironmongers and buy 6 grommets for 1. Honda 3 each.

I rip the side panels off, ride, vibration there.

Ages later -- revving it and revving it in the garage we find it --it's my home made GPS mount. An ali bar across the windscreen brackets. Somehow it's started to pick up the bike's natural 5000 rev vibrations.

Much relief that nothing is going to fall apart on me.

What did horrify my was sitting on the battery during testing, not moving of course, but I found so much vibration the bike could qualify as a sex aid.
Brian.

Recent Topics