Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need to add years of enjoyment. Sat on the X today, seat way too high  (Read 1394 times)

Offline poorbuthappy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
Here is an older folk looking for a new bike.  Went to the dealer. They received their first X in the morning. I sat on it.  The seat height is way too high to my liking. I also found  the x heavy.

I'm not a new rider, I have owned tons of 2 wheelers, from a Laverda Mirage 1200, Kawa 1000, Honda 750 down to a 250 scooter. I have been all over the americas several times. Worked 3 or 4 months a year up north, and rode south the remaining of the year.

I had to downsized because I have severe arthrosis. Had bilateral  hip and shoulder replacements. Too many ailments to list them all

Right now I ride a scooter Kymco Downtown 300. I had a seat customized to our physionomy. I can put easily both feet on the ground.

That scooter that I bought 3 years ago when I retired. We left montreal to head south.  We are curently in Mexico and the scooter has now over 100,000 km.

This coming december, we take a sail boat to ride some Carabean Islands to finally reach Cartagena in Colombia mid April. I will leave the scooter there because we regularly visit my wife's family and the parts are easily available in that country.

I'm thinking buying the X in Canada or the USA, and send it by plane to Colombia. The X will  have the seat customized, probably add RR 1b.

I would like to reduce to the maximum the weight of the X or add upgrades for confort and security.

Honnestly I'm quiete lost about that. On the other hand, you guys have that knowledge.

Would you share with me anything that you know would make the X lighter, safer and easier to ride to  add years of enjoyment.

I would greatly appreciate the approximate price tag, though money is no object.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
You could try the "F" instead of the "X".
It is a somewhat smaller and lighter bike. You never know...
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston

Not sure what can be done about the weight, apart from an aftermarket Can, but that is a low down weight saving.   Have you looked at the Honda X-ADV.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Theres a thread on ADVrider where a guy went through a Versys X 300 and brought the weight down to 360lbs.

The 500X was never designed to be a lightweight platform. Its a 440 lb machine. An IXIL header and aftermarket end can will save you maybe 10-12 lbs, a lightweight battery another few lbs,  but unless you start going mad with your money and the modifications, youll never get too deep into the lightweight dual sport arena. The 500X isnt the platform for that. It would make a lot more sense to start with a lighter bike.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
What kind of riding are you hoping to do, poorbuthappy?  It sounds like you have gotten some good service out of your scooter.  Would another scooter make sense? 

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
WHS^^^

Have a look at the Kymco AK 550 auto), Suzuki Burgman (400 or 650), or even a Piaggio MP3 Sport (500cc)...plenty powerful enough for touring, easy to get on and off and comfortable to ride. I saw loads of people touring on maxi scooters around europe last year...I'd have one myself if I could afford it

I think to reduce the weight of the X considerably will take some serious doing...there's not that much you can remove/replace unless you spend major money...

If you're not convinced by the scooter argument, one avenue to explore would be older trail bikes (eg XT 500), or road bikes like the CB 500 S twin (lighter more powerful and faster than the X!). Modern middleweight bikes tend to weight as much, if not more than big bikes of yester-year.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:54:44 PM by Jonathan »

Offline poorbuthappy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
What kind of riding are you hoping to do, poorbuthappy?  It sounds like you have gotten some good service out of your scooter.  Would another scooter make sense?

You are right, my downtown does a great job in Canada, the US and  the major roads in mexico. But once further south riding secondary roads is a no no. The suspention gap is no more than 3 inches. In Mexico and further south they control the trafic with tope which is a big bump. Potholes all over. On secondary roads, the average speed tops at 60 max. A scooter is not built to face that kind of chalenge.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Wheels on maxi scooters aren't big enough to deal with dodgy roads. If you want a powerful scooter with big wheels that handles like motorbike and is easy to mount (no tunnel at all), try an SH300i. It looks like a moped but is more comfortable than a maxi.

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Back to my suggestion of the Honda Adventure Scooter X-ADV  its also 745cc

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:56:50 AM by slowrider »
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline poorbuthappy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
it's not available in our part of the world

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage