Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need to add years of enjoyment. Sat on the X today, seat way too high  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Need to add years of enjoyment. Sat on the X today, seat way too high
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by poorbuthappy [+]
it's not available in our part of the world

so if another scooter isn't on the cards, and you fancy something dual duty, maybe something like a Yamaha Serrow (250cc) or Beta Alp (350cc) would be a better bet. Both are lightweight, capable, easy to ride and maintain, both have a proven record in Long distance trials (Road work combined with observed trail sections).

Honda Rebel is a 500cc cruiser type bike that has a nice low seat height...worth a look

Offline PIGLET

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: DURHAM UK
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »
Yes Yamaha serrow 250 (xt) is a great light bike, sold it last year and i think i will look for another one.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
so if another scooter isn't on the cards, and you fancy something dual duty, maybe something like a Yamaha Serrow (250cc) or Beta Alp (350cc) would be a better bet. Both are lightweight, capable, easy to ride and maintain, both have a proven record in Long distance trials (Road work combined with observed trail sections).

Honda Rebel is a 500cc cruiser type bike that has a nice low seat height...worth a look

Hee hee - funny you suggest the Rebel 500, I was just going to say the same (I was in a dealer yesterday and they had one in there) - I've always thought it would be ripe as a low-seat height 'bobber/scrambler' style platform... twin shocks means it's easy to get a little more rear travel/ ground clearance, although you'll be limited at the front depending on how much fork overlap there is (no, John and I have not had the CMX forks apart to see if the Rally-Raid kit will fit).

But personally I'd probably just ride it for what it is - a relaxed low-seat bike with modest ground clearance, which has that peach of an engine. Strip the fenders off it and it would look bad-ass ;o)

note. there is even an aftermarket 'scrambler' seat kit available (from Thailand or Malaysia I recall), if that is your thing:

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hee hee - funny you suggest the Rebel 500, I was just going to say the same (I was in a dealer yesterday and they had one in there) - I've always thought it would be ripe as a low-seat height 'bobber/scrambler' style platform... twin shocks means it's easy to get a little more rear travel/ ground clearance, although you'll be limited at the front depending on how much fork overlap there is (no, John and I have not had the CMX forks apart to see if the Rally-Raid kit will fit).

But personally I'd probably just ride it for what it is - a relaxed low-seat bike with modest ground clearance, which has that peach of an engine. Strip the fenders off it and it would look bad-ass ;o)

note. there is even an aftermarket 'scrambler' seat kit available (from Thailand or Malaysia I recall), if that is your thing:

Jx

I think if you were to offer a suspension upgrade for the Rebel, you'd clean up....it's the one thing Rebel owners seem to complain about...

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:57 PM »
Just for fun, I took a Rebel 500 for a test ride at Americade on Tuesday. The suspension was better than I expected. I suspect the relatively fat front wheel somewhat compensated for the lack of suspension travel, but also made it somewhat less nimble than my 2014 X. Even though I am not particularly fall (5' 9" ) the ergos felt slightly cramped.
Mick

Recent Topics