Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A New Project  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Singlespeed92

• CB500X Member
  • Full time rider
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern TN
Re: A New Project
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:24:26 AM »
Looking forward to watching this project!  :001: Nice purchase, BTW! I love my 2013 :305:
2013 Honda CB500X
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (wife's)

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
Thanks 92.
Non-RR parts are starting to arrive, most of them are just going into a box awaiting the "big" install. I did put my PivotPegz on, but my Eastern Beaver 4CS fuse harness, new head bearings, new fork seals and fork boots will wait. Oxford grips are on the way.

I'm planning on taking it on a 3 day, 1,000 mile or so ride the Blue Ridge Mtns next week - just to get a feel for how it does on the road. Looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I'll watch the rain fall today, drink coffee and think about motorcycles  :001:
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 08:39:37 PM »
The project continues..
While I was waiting for my Rally Raid parts to arrive, I decided to go ahead and take the bike apart just to see if the previous owner left me any surprises under the plastic, to get a feel for it's general condition, go ahead and check the valves, change coolant and build my accessories wiring harness. As I do things to the bike, like add accessories, I am going to do them with an eye towards ease of transfer to the next CBX. Or at least that's the plan  :033:

Valves - They weren't the worst to get to I've ever done, but I did have a lot of trouble pulling the valve cover out. It went back in fine, but coming out... :157:
I hope to do a separate post on the procedure adding some pictures that might supplement Gill's excellent "How To" that was my guide. See it here:
http://www.dicken.plus.com/CB500x-Valves.pdf

The good news is that at 8,000 miles or so all of my valves are on the loose end of the allowance. That being the case, I don't plan on opening this bad boy back up until the 36k check.  :152:

The plugs were good - and not available anywhere locally, special order item. The air filter was a K&N and the air filter attaching screws were missing so I couldn't put in my Honda air cleaner. Got screws on order. There were several missing screws elsewhere in the fairing and some shoddy wiring on the gear indicator. One of the most disturbing surprises was the level of corrosion. I won't say it was bad, but I've never had corrosion on any of my bikes, just an ugly sight. Most of the hose clamps, corroded; some of the screws around the fuel tank, corroded; the bottom of the fuel tank, starting to rust (just hazing over). I doubt that this corrosion is a product of salt as the previous owner didn't strike me as a cold weather rider and most of the areas most directly impacted by surface sprayed salt water were corrosion free. I just think it's poor quality, shame on Honda.

But to brighter things,  I built a wiring harness of sorts that originates with an Eastern Beaver 4CS Fuse Panel Kit w/splitter. I'll be using that to power my heated jacket, grips, voltmeter, USB charger, GPS and driving lights. I had a PC8 from another bike, but it just took up to much room under the seat on this bike.

Eastern Beaver 4CS Fuse Panel Kit

All my forward wiring, which is most, runs through this sheathing so that it can be handled as one harness.

The power end - in a pretty ragged state.

That looks a little better

And the day after I get this done, look what shows up in the Big Brown Truck?

All set up and ready to go - but not so fast.  Take a close look at my front axle. Oh, that's right, you can't see it  :230:  My PitBull headstand blocks the axle perfectly.  So back to Amazon and order a scissor jack.

But, with the track stands I was able to install my RR bash plate. The install went smooth as butter with excellent instructions and Juan Browne's great video.

Very happy with my first RR addition.

Over the next 10 days, I plan on installing the RR L2 rear suspension parts, replacing the fork seals, installing the RR L2 front suspension, fork gators, replace the head bearings, install a Fat Bar handlebar, Oxford grips, Barkbusters, new RR triple tree and all my gadgets.
I'm hoping that not to long after I finish this phase I'll be getting my wheels. Rally Raid says they "are to follow".

I sure am getting anxious to get this bike back on the road.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
Nice write-up!

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »
Thanks.
I get so much from these user sites, I like to contribute some little bit back.

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 09:08:23 PM »
Looks great! Loved reading and for a newbie rider and wrencher tons of good info.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Thank you, glad it was helpful.
and the project moves on...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 10:07:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
The project continues..
While I was waiting for my Rally Raid parts to arrive, I decided to go ahead and take the bike apart just to see if the previous owner left me any surprises under the plastic, to get a feel for it's general condition, go ahead and check the valves, change coolant and build my accessories wiring harness. As I do things to the bike, like add accessories, I am going to do them with an eye towards ease of transfer to the next CBX. Or at least that's the plan  :033:

Valves - They weren't the worst to get to I've ever done, but I did have a lot of trouble pulling the valve cover out. It went back in fine, but coming out... :157:
I hope to do a separate post on the procedure adding some pictures that might supplement Gill's excellent "How To" that was my guide. See it here:
http://www.dicken.plus.com/CB500x-Valves.pdf

The good news is that at 8,000 miles or so all of my valves are on the loose end of the allowance. That being the case, I don't plan on opening this bad boy back up until the 36k check.  :152:

The plugs were good - and not available anywhere locally, special order item. The air filter was a K&N and the air filter attaching screws were missing so I couldn't put in my Honda air cleaner. Got screws on order. There were several missing screws elsewhere in the fairing and some shoddy wiring on the gear indicator. One of the most disturbing surprises was the level of corrosion. I won't say it was bad, but I've never had corrosion on any of my bikes, just an ugly sight. Most of the hose clamps, corroded; some of the screws around the fuel tank, corroded; the bottom of the fuel tank, starting to rust (just hazing over). I doubt that this corrosion is a product of salt as the previous owner didn't strike me as a cold weather rider and most of the areas most directly impacted by surface sprayed salt water were corrosion free. I just think it's poor quality, shame on Honda.

But to brighter things,  I built a wiring harness of sorts that originates with an Eastern Beaver 4CS Fuse Panel Kit w/splitter. I'll be using that to power my heated jacket, grips, voltmeter, USB charger, GPS and driving lights. I had a PC8 from another bike, but it just took up to much room under the seat on this bike.

Eastern Beaver 4CS Fuse Panel Kit

All my forward wiring, which is most, runs through this sheathing so that it can be handled as one harness.

The power end - in a pretty ragged state.

That looks a little better

And the day after I get this done, look what shows up in the Big Brown Truck?

All set up and ready to go - but not so fast.  Take a close look at my front axle. Oh, that's right, you can't see it  :230:  My PitBull headstand blocks the axle perfectly.  So back to Amazon and order a scissor jack.

But, with the track stands I was able to install my RR bash plate. The install went smooth as butter with excellent instructions and Juan Browne's great video.

Very happy with my first RR addition.

Over the next 10 days, I plan on installing the RR L2 rear suspension parts, replacing the fork seals, installing the RR L2 front suspension, fork gators, replace the head bearings, install a Fat Bar handlebar, Oxford grips, Barkbusters, new RR triple tree and all my gadgets.
I'm hoping that not to long after I finish this phase I'll be getting my wheels. Rally Raid says they "are to follow".

I sure am getting anxious to get this bike back on the road.

I'd blitz the entire thing with ACF 50 while it's still in a state of semi disassembly...corrosion is bad on this bike, if you don't keep on top of it

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »
Thanks Jonathan, maybe I'll see if I can find some locally or check Amazon. I've heard a lot about it, but never used it.  Does it leave a sticky residue that attracts dirt?

Offline Singlespeed92

• CB500X Member
  • Full time rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastern TN
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 04:30:22 AM »
Nice  :001:
2013 Honda CB500X
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (wife's)