Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mobile phone mount, advice needed.  (Read 325 times)

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Mobile phone mount, advice needed.
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting this bracket/bar to fit to my Tracer so I can attach my mobile phone to it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kappa-Windscren-Bracket-Mount-Phone-GPS-Holder-Yamaha-MT-09-850-Tracer-2015-2017/332517407199

Trouble is I'm a bit confused as to what type of product to attach to the bar to hold the phone in place, especially as the bar seems very thin compared to handlebars.

Any help appreciated.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Mobile phone mount, advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting this bracket/bar to fit to my Tracer so I can attach my mobile phone to it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kappa-Windscren-Bracket-Mount-Phone-GPS-Holder-Yamaha-MT-09-850-Tracer-2015-2017/332517407199

Trouble is I'm a bit confused as to what type of product to attach to the bar to hold the phone in place, especially as the bar seems very thin compared to handlebars.

Any help appreciated.

Ram mounts do various clamp type fittings, but you may need to add rubber shims. Ultimate Add ons do a mirror stalk clamp, but this may be too small internally. They also do a tube clamp to suit 19-22mm.  I'd send Kappa an email and ask them the ID of the bar before deciding which way to go...I'd be amazed if they brought out a satnav/phone mounting bar that wasn't in the ball park for most mounting clamps on the market

Personally I'd avoid mounting a smart phone of GPS on a skinny bar due to the potential vibration.

It wouldn't be hard to make your own mounting bar from some Aluminium or steel tube with some push in screw fittings like those depicted below...

Google 'threaded tube inserts'...they're available in loads of diameters

A good alternative would be to use 'star nuts'....these are used on bicycle steering stems and such. In fact, if you can source a pair if straightish alloy mountain bike, or motorcycle handlebars, you could chop these down and use screw in bar ends...the uprights will be a simple case of some flat bar to suit and a few mounting holes.

May seem like more work, but more rewarding and probably a better product in the end....

If you use 22mm OD tubing, Ram nount clamps will fit

Of course the simplest way round is to find some reinforced rubber hose of the right ID and OD, slit it down its length and call it as an anti-vibration shim
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:24:46 PM by Jonathan »

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
Re: Mobile phone mount, advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
Maybe prototype the position using cheap stuff like kitchen roll cores & sellotape - not at speed - and check it suits your eyes, doesn't obstruct the dash, etc? I find it really frustrating to sometimes spend hours making a really nice bit of bodge - only to find it was misconceived.

Actually I still have a GPS mount made of 12mm ply on a bike, but it is outdoor ply and painted black. That's the opposite problem - the prototype never followed up.

Good luck!

Recent Topics