Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lone Rider Moto Bags on a CB 500X  (Read 786 times)

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Lone Rider Moto Bags on a CB 500X
« on: June 15, 2019, 10:50:35 PM »

I fitted the Lone Rider Panniers to my bike.    I know they are expensive, but I wanted something with a bit more security than my Giant Loop Siskiyous.      No one, to my knowledge, has ever tried to interfere with the Siskiyous when unattended, so extra security is really for my peace of mind.   I have been down and back up the rabbit hole that is the hard/soft debate and both have their merits.   Its a bit like deciding on a CB500X, you buy it because it suits your needs.   I was contemplating hard panniers for the long trips, but a small incident on a Rif Mountain  trail made my choice clear.   The trail was muddy and all torn up with car and lorry ruts.   The problem was that no two drivers appeared to follow the same rut.   Shallow, deep and criss crossing made progress tough.    On a sharp right-hander, with cliff to my left and a steep drop to my right populated with trees, the muddy ruts were waterlogged,  all over the place and ill defined.   Halfway round the tight corner the rear started fishtailing so I dabbed a foot down to steady the bike.   What I did not see beneath the surface of the water was a deep rut which my boot instantly got caught in.    With the bike still going forwards, and my foot staying still, my calf got trapped under the Siskiyou pannier.   Being soft it cushioned the blow on my leg as my foot was dragged out of the rut.    I am sure it would have been painful if I had had hard panniers.    I agree, this is one incident, but it made my mind up.

I already own the Lone Rider Moto Tent, the one you can fit your bike in, so I looked at their panniers.    They have some great videos of the panniers being dragged along the ground which show how tough they are.   Also an amusing video where they drop a bile on a water melon, once with hard panniers and then with their semi-ridged Moto Bags, I think you can guess at the results.

So I ordered the 38lt bags and a Lone Rider Rack.

The quality is great and I am really pleased with them.   They come with locks and inner dry bags as well.

I mentioned to Fred, founder of Lone Rider, that I was attending HUBB UK and we agreed that I would represent them here, where I am now.  So if you want to have a look at the Lone Rider Moto panniers mounted to a CB 500X then pop along to HUBB UK.

I was a bit worried about the clearance of the pannier to the exhaust, so I reused the Giant Loop exhaust shields and added a bit of silicon rubber sheet as extra protection.

It has been raining at HUBB since I arrived.   It is at Baskerville Hall by the Welsh border, so really what does one expect in Wales in the summer except for lots of rain.   But, I am nice and dry in my Lone Rider Moto Tent and its great talking to the people here.

There are also a few CB500X riders here and some with the RR upgrade.   I will be coming back next year.

If you want o buy any Lone Rider kit then there is a 10% discount until the 19th.  Just enter the code HUBBUK19 at the checkout.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Lone Rider Moto Bags on a CB 500X
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:52:54 PM »
I had a look at the Lonerider gear and it's lovely stuff. I couldn't justify the expense, but If money wasn't the clincher I'd have bought a pair of these over and above everything else....managed to buy some Enduristan monsoon 3s for a great discount so these fit my bike and budget perfectly....

hope you din't get too wet at The Hubb....thought about riding down but saw the forecast and sacked it for a day in the garage :152:

I met a guy a few years back with a massive scar on his right calf from when a ali case bit back...Whatever you stick on the side, make sure it comes off easy or cushions the blow in a spill...

if the silencer clearance is an issue, aside from going aftermarket, you could reposition the oem can by extending the bracket and rejigging the link pipe angle with a collar....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:04:02 PM by Jonathan »

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »

The show was great, but it did rain every day, including one 18 hour nonstop down pour.   The Moto tent was great and importantly dry.

Met a few CB500X owners there, including a few active on this forum.   

The Giant Loop Heat Shields and Silicon sheet worked really well.   I need to do some testing to see if I actually need a heat shield or not.   But if I do then - Jonathan : I was thinking of ordering some R&G custom pipe components and trying to re-align the exhaust, but my temp solution worked, so well I think I will just take it apart and make something a bit more elegant.   The Moto Bags have MOLLE on the underside so I think I can make up a silicon backed metal heat shield that will connect into the MOLLE and with black silicon appear almost invisible.   Just need to work out where to get it  all to fold when the bags are compressed when not in use.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
The show was great, but it did rain every day, including one 18 hour nonstop down pour.   The Moto tent was great and importantly dry.

Met a few CB500X owners there, including a few active on this forum.   

The Giant Loop Heat Shields and Silicon sheet worked really well.   I need to do some testing to see if I actually need a heat shield or not.   But if I do then - Jonathan : I was thinking of ordering some R&G custom pipe components and trying to re-align the exhaust, but my temp solution worked, so well I think I will just take it apart and make something a bit more elegant.   The Moto Bags have MOLLE on the underside so I think I can make up a silicon backed metal heat shield that will connect into the MOLLE and with black silicon appear almost invisible.   Just need to work out where to get it  all to fold when the bags are compressed when not in use.

try a company called Agriemach.....they know their stuff  :028:

the Ali fibre abric is worth a look....I've used it to insulate heat exchangers on aircooled campers and beetles   https://www.agriemach.com/c7-heat-and-sound-insulation/c74-aluminised-heat-barrier

alternatively use a silicone/aluminium plate pop rivetted onto the silencer itself...

https://www.agriemach.com/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:26:58 PM by Jonathan »

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:33:46 AM »

Thanks, Jonathan, useful info.

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »

If anyone is interested I will be showing the Lone Rider range of products, including the Moto Bags mounted to my CB with RR, at the Overland Event 30th August to 1st September in Oxford.   There will also be a show discount code.  https://overlandevent.com/

Offline whalefish

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Nanaimo
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
i'm really interested in getting the motobags. i was talking with the lone rider folks and they had concerns about the hot exhaust venting onto the bags. I see that the bottom of your bag is directly where the exhaust exits the pipe. Have you noticed any damage to the bag as a result. I have a 2013 and it looks like the pipe is a bit longer and higher than newer models, so i dont think the motobags will fit. i just bought a coffman shorty exhaust which will create a lot more space for the bags. I'm mainly interested in following this discussion to hear more about people's experiences with the bags on this bike.
fyi...last year lone rider had a black friday sale and had 25% off...i'm gonna wait to see it that happens again this year ;)

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
I too am concerned about heat off the exhaust but I am using the Lone Rider Pannier rack that is designed for the bike, so all should be OK.   However, as I am a belt and braces chap I am using the Giant Loop heat shields and some silicon mat to help give protection.   When I get some spare time I will make my heat shield set up a bit more professional.

There will be a 10% discount code during the show and for a few days after.    I will post it here when I have it.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:53:01 PM by slowrider »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage