Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Almost the end of the mods.  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Matra2

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sydney
Almost the end of the mods.
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »

Hello to All,

This is my 2016 500X which I have been playing with for the last two years. The bike has had couple of previous appearances here but as I have only some minor things left to do so I thought I would post a product & service review. I am Sydney, Australia and the bike is primarily used as my daily commuter. I have sourced parts from the USA, England, Europe and couldnt have done it without Ebay and the various hardware sourced from China. If I had to find the bolts, springs, plastic caps etc here Id still be going. Everything, except for three, non-visible, holes drilled for the chain oiler, is reversible. Ill try to start from the beginning.

Centre stand, genuine, out of the States, invaluable for servicing and a level working platform.

Chain guard / rear hugger, genuine, from local dealer. Neat and helps keeps the bike cleaner.

Removed rear foot rests, they are quite heavy and I dont carry pillion passengers.
Bought a used foot rest bracket for exhaust and cut of excess material, polished and coated with clear.

Replaced the original, heavy & quiet muffler with a Fuel exhaust. Delighted with the product and the service. I like the appearance, size and the sound. I use the Db killer and the sound is a nice rumble. Volume dependant on throttle position. No increase in performance that I could notice. And a stop rubber for the centre stand when in the raised position

Installed a Tutoro chain oiler.  I went to more trouble doing my engineered fitment along the swing arm then necessary but was generally happy with the installation.  Set and forget other than adding oil.  I would recommend this kit as chain and sprocket wear is greatly reduced.

I needed to carry wet weather gear etc. I decided on Hepco Becker hard luggage with C-Bow mount. Disappointed with their bracket system for mounting to the bike. It was way too wide and would severely restrict lane filtering.  I set about redesigning the mounting system.  Lengthy exercise but ultimately personally satisfying. It is unique and it does work.  The luggage system is now narrower then the handle bars. I incorporated an easily removable rack over the pillion seat. Stayed with Hepco for the tail bag. Wouldnt say their luggage is great, supposed to be waterproof but its not. Hard to research how well luggage fits. Buyer beware.  Shout out to Lasermade in Sydney for excellent service turning my cardboard templates into 6mm alloy precision.

Electrics. Added a small additional LED light to the underside of the rack over the seat. Highlander brand from Louis Motorrad - nice quality, good price & service.  Added a pulse unit (ebay) to flash the brake lights a few times when first applied.
I have installed cameras, front & rear and fabricated mounts & front cover (rear to be done) to dissuade theft. Sydney traffic / drivers can be iffy and if they scrape me off the pavement my wife will know what happened when she sues for damages. We have become as litigious as the US. Used Hummer SR1 -quality product.
Added a mobile phone mount - powered by 5V micro USB - both from Ebay.
Added a TomTom Rider 550. Fabricated mount bracket. Wasnt available at the time here, good deal from Louis Motorrad with quick delivery. Good, handy unit and was nice for speed verification.
Went with Denali for additional lighting. Nil stock local agent. Cheaper and fast delivery from Revzilla. I liked their half power system and the wiring system looked good. Mixed feelings with Denali. Good light output and build quality of the lights but other niggling issues annoyed me.

Some small items made a big difference.  Mirror risers - no longer looking at my arms - Ebay cheapies. Handle bar risers - 22mm SW Motech - so much more comfortable and no cable issues.
Just installed a one tooth larger front sprocket -  speedo now accurate within 1-2 kmph. Not looking for 7th gear as often and with the chain set to exactly 40mm freeplay (on sidestand) it is so smooth. Amazing the difference.

Protection. Honda hand guards - ok but not high enough to deflect all the cold air. Forced me to go back to original levers - actually they are pretty good.
Hepco Becker crash bars - fitted ok but no other issues such as vibration and they matched the frame colour well.
Windscreen - seems a very contentious issue - went with Puig (toss of a coin). Works well for me. No buffeting or wind noise. Actually could hear a bit more engine sound but fine. It is highish and narrow. Only down side is when riding in the rain at night it is difficult to see the road immediately in front of you through the rain on the screen but that is not an everyday occurrence. Happy.

There are other bits and pieces but Ive written more then enough. Happy to answer any questions and thank you to the forum contributors who have provided their experiences. It all helps.

Cheers 

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Almost the end of the mods.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matra2 [+]

We have become as litigious as the US.

Nice write-up, but I'm going to have to sue you for the above remark.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:03:48 PM by ewryly »

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
Very nice setting! Well done!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline PIGLET

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: DURHAM UK
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
Nice mods i must say  :062: :062:

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
Very nice work there. Love to see it all add up. I'm looking forward to being done with mine too, if that's ever going to happen.  :008:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:50:34 PM »
Some interesting mods there! Is the rear rack spring-mounted, to an extent? Also, what niggles did you encounter with the Denalis? They usually get glowing reviews, but I suspect this may be partly due to the fact that they're pricey so owners don't want to say they're just OK....or they fitted budget lights in the past so anything half decent is going to seem like a big upgrade

Looks great minus the decals, btw.

In the UK, if a bike is designed to carry a passenger, it has to have pillion pegs on for the annual MoT test
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:54:13 PM by Jonathan »

Online woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
Looks nice :152: how do you find the Nextbase Ride cameras?

Offline Matra2

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments. I don't seem to be able to reply to individual questions so its a group chat.

To Ewryly:- I forgot to add the footnote "except 500X riders". Hopefully saves me some serious dollars. :)

To Jonathan:- I'll add a photo of the bonnet pins I used for the rack mounts. The release catches need a bit of freeplay to release. The springs eliminate the freeplay until I apply a little pressure. The rack is very firm and the springs were a push fit over the 10mm nuts on the pin shaft so they stay in place when I remove the rack. Calculated, fingers crossed, exercise when ordering the springs from China.
The Denali lights - sigh. Probably more me then the product. Everything about them is solid and they work well. But they appear to be built to be mounted on a truck. The wiring is thick and stiff and yet the switch for half / full power is too small and awkward whilst wearing gloves. Look it's all clever and works but lacks finesse for the money. Really the problem with all the products I've bought is that I have to buy them on-line and I take my chances. Sometimes you win, sometimes you just have to suck it up. Even the local distributor for Hepco Becker is 1000km away. 

And to Woody:- I had to Google Nextbase but appears to be the same as the Hummer SR1. Well built, works, good image quality. Comes with a lot of mounting gear in the box - none of which I used due to my installation. Here, at least, the prices varied by a couple of hundred dollars. First one through Amazon, second one just an independent on-line retailer.  Helps not to be in a hurry.

Cheers to all.

Offline Pedro

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Are you happy with that mobile phone mount? I was looking at the same type on ebay and wondered how secure it was.

Offline Matra2

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
Hi Pedro,

The mount has been very good & secure but I could only install it the way I did because I used handlebar risers which eliminated the one piece Honda top handlebar clamp.

Cheers

Recent Topics