Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thumbs Up for Enduristan....  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Thumbs Up for Enduristan....
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
I bought an Enduristan XS Base Pack from a local forum member recently and was pretty taken by the quality. I was after a smallish dry bag that I could strap to the pillion seat or rear luggage rack, to carry waterproofs, spare layers etc. Just the job... Anyway, a few weeks later, some Monsoon 3 throw-over panniers came up for sale in The Hubb classifieds, new, unused with tags. I think the previous owner bought them for a trip that wasn't happening, so I managed to get a good discount. Really nice quality and well thought out.

During the trial fitment, I realized I could use one of the straps from the XS Base pack to tether the panniers to the rear rack, but this left me needing an another strap for the Base pack. Sent an email to Enduristan EU asking whether they sell straps separately....and they sent me two new straps free of charge! Just thought I'd share my experience as it's not everyday you receive such good service...

So a big  :028: for Enduristan!

I went with Monsoon 3s over alternatives as they can be mounted  further forward and lower down for solo touring, with enough clearance for the stock exhaust. I'll post some pics in due course....

No affiliation to the company, just a satisfied customer.....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:32:29 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Mark65

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thumbs Up for Enduristan....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Yes, they were very helpful with me as well when I needed a measurement, Kreiga never even replied to me, needless to say I bought the Enduristan which is much better IMHO.
YBR125,CG125,CR300RA (deaded,chocolate crank), CB500F, FORZA 300

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »
Good to hear. I am drooling over their tank bag. Got any pics of your kit mounted to the X?

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:21:34 AM »
I also purchased a new set of Monsoon 3's because I was disappointed with the twice as expensive Mosko Moto BC35 soft panniers I used for the last 6 months.  Wasn't as lucky as Jonathan so paid full retail.  Still, the bags are worth the asking price when you compare them to the overpriced, over engineered and over hyped Mosko Moto bags.  Both Enduristan bags weight less than one Mosko Moto BC35 pannier.  The Enduristan material is tough yet light and pliable.  You can pack gear into these bags easily.  Eventhough the Mosko Moto bags are advertised as easy on/off, in reality, the Monsoon 3's are easier and quicker to remove from my bike.  The Enduristan handles are soft and comfortable whereas the Mosko Moto ones are just double sewn nylon webbing, which cuts into your hand.  As for customer service, I found Enduristan USA unhelpful whereas Enduristan Switzerland gets top marks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:35:31 AM by manray »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:34:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics. They look pretty hefty. I just picked up some Steel Pony panniers, from Australia. To be honest, the best mounting and easiest on and off I've found out of any soft pannier system has been Wolfman.

*Originally Posted by manray [+]
I also purchased a new set of Monsoon 3's because I was disappointed with the twice as expensive Mosko Moto BC35 soft panniers I used for the last 6 months.  Wasn't as lucky as Jonathan so paid full retail.  Still, the bags are worth the asking price when you compare them to the overpriced, over engineered and over hyped Mosko Moto bags.  Both Enduristan bags weight less than one Mosko Moto BC35 pannier.  The Enduristan material is tough yet light and pliable.  You can pack gear into these bags easily.  Eventhough the Mosko Moto bags are advertised as easy on/off, in reality, the Monsoon 3's are easier and quicker to remove from my bike.  The Enduristan handles are soft and comfortable whereas the Mosko Moto ones are just double sewn nylon webbing, which cuts into your hand.  As for customer service, I found Enduristan USA unhelpful whereas Enduristan Switzerland gets top marks.

You're one of the first people I've heard of that really didn't care for the Mosko stuff. I haven't done too much research, but I can see what you're talking about in terms of weight.

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 06:21:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Thanks for sharing the pics. They look pretty hefty. I just picked up some Steel Pony panniers, from Australia. To be honest, the best mounting and easiest on and off I've found out of any soft pannier system has been Wolfman.

You're one of the first people I've heard of that really didn't care for the Mosko stuff. I haven't done too much research, but I can see what you're talking about in terms of weight.

There are others with less than positive reviews if you search the web.  For me Mosko Moto's flagship product was a let down after 5 months on the road.  The Backcountry 35's are exceptionally robust and durable but weigh (~10 lbs per bag) as much as an aluminum pannier and without the security.  Do soft bags need to be so overbuilt?  How many bikers slide on asphalt at 60 mph and then get up and think about whether their bags are in one piece or not?  My main gripe with the BC35's is with the materials used for the bags and to a lesser degree it's mounting system; which could be lighter.  Consider the bags alone.  If you compare Mosko Moto's waterproof fabric to Ortlieb waterproof fabrics (which I consider best), the Mosko stuff is unnecessarily thick and stiff.  Ortlieb fabric seams are better finished and their waterproof coated materials are thinner, lighter and more malleable.  The Mosko Moto waterproof liner in combination with the water soaking outer bag (bags are even heavier when wet) make packing to their maximum volume difficult.  Mosko Moto claims 35L per bag (which includes the 4L non-waterproof outer pocket) but in my experience, you get less.  The thick waterproof inner liner and durable outer creates dead space which can be avoided by using a single waterproof layer (i.e. Ortlieb or Enduristan).  IMO, for a midsize bike like the CB500X, the Enduristan Monsoon 3's are a great choice for overland travel.  The bags are light in weight (~ 3 lbs per bag) and are waterproof without a separate liner.  Rarely mentioned is the importance of a bags dimesions (LxWxD).  I find the Monsoon 3's dimension perfect for maximizing it's 30L per bag volume.  Monsoon 3's also include removable internal dividers for keeping things organized.  Lastly, the finishing on Enduristan products is first rate...almost as good as Ortlieb.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
In fairness, Ortlieb have been making quality dry bags longer than most other manufacturers, as far as I'm aware. I've had some of their cycling stuff in the past and it's top drawer...For the money, you'd be hard pressed to beat Lomo, but for functionality and price I reckon Enduristan are bang on. The mosko stuff looks really well thought out and durable, but it's spendy (for a UK user) and I can't justify the expense. Most of the Ali/steel cases available tend to be designed with larger bikes in mind, and to an extent I think they're overkill on an X. I don't envisage doing some epic RTW on this bike, so the lighter and more compact stuff suits my requirements.

I'm currently modifying some Givi racks (secondhand jobs from a Triumph XC) so I can use either monokey cases or the soft bags as and when. The monokey fittings bolt on and off in two minutes, so it's no big deal.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Good to hear. I am drooling over their tank bag. Got any pics of your kit mounted to the X?

I'll get some pics up later this evening...still fettling the racks/bag supports, so it's rough and ready as yet. How are you getting on with the conversion?

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I'll get some pics up later this evening...still fettling the racks/bag supports, so it's rough and ready as yet. How are you getting on with the conversion?

It's nearing the end, hopefully. I'm going to install an Eastern Beaver fuse block tomorrow or Thursday and wire in aux lights, some power outlets and my GPS cradle.  After that I'm pretty much in the clear. The clicking fork leg is also a setback, but I expect to have it sorted tomorrow.

A few other small projects, but I think it'll be done before the weekend.

Recent Topics