Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another 2019 review  (Read 1723 times)

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Another 2019 review
« on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
Finally got round to having a ride on a 2019 so thought I'd do a quick review. I had one of the first X's from 2013 - 2018 and haven't ridden anything modern since selling it.

First thing I noticed was how much softer it felt, seat and suspension wise. Basically much better than the horrendous original suspension on my old one which I replaced with RR level 1. I'd say it feels very similar to the RR level 1 set up but probably a bit softer. The forks maybe feel even better but the rear shock definitely not as good as the RR Tractive one. Height wise I hardly noticed any difference and can put both feet down flat - 5'9" and 32".

It feels like a bigger bike, not a huge difference but definitely more grown up. Still nice and small compared to the Africa Twin it was parked next to. The handling is much better, not just because of the better suspension but you don't get that sports bike like drop in to slow corners now it's got the 19" front.

Engine wise even coming from my 30bhp Triumph it didn't feel fast, but fast enough. I'd say it actually felt a bit slower than my old one but it only had a few miles on the clock and I think part of that is because the bike feels bigger. The new exhaust whilst looking rediculous sounds really nice, probably the same as the Mivv can I used to have, good sound when revving it and burbling and popping on the overrun!

The new bars and front end are a huge improvement, looks much more the part when sat on the bike or looking at it. The screen is also much better and although I didn't get chance to try it at sustained high speed I never felt any buffeting. It seemed to be pushing the air above my head.

The rest of the bike is much the same but with a couple of improvements, the new swinging arm looks much easier to adjust and the new (to me) fuel filler cap will be handy after the cheap old one.

I've only really got two negative points. Firstly the lack of belly pan/sump guard leaves it looking a bit naff and the sump very exposed - even the old plastic one at least covered up the ugly sump.
The other and slightly disappointing negative is the new dash. I was really impressed with it when I saw it on photos but it's not as good in reality. In my opinion it's still a bit small, overall it looks like it's bigger but the actual screen is still quite small. The rev counter is harder to read and it just seems cluttered and poorly laid out. On the plus side the much needed gear indicator is there and the temperature gauge is a bonus.

Anyway, having been offered a test ride on the Africa Twin on return from the X ride I didn't even bother. I'm sure I would have loved the power but the rest of it is just too much for what I want. I went to swing a leg over it after the X and gave up halfway fearing hip dislocation!!

So what was already a great bike has got even better, I can't work out what planet that guy is on that did the 'what have you done to my baby' video review! So I'm fairly confident I'll be getting one soon, might wait till later in the year to see if there are any better deals though.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Another 2019 review
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »
It takes all sorts - I still like the look of the original bike, I like the matching wheel sizes (!) and I even prefer the 'high' bars instead of those huge long risers on the new bike!!  Maybe the tester who didn't rate the new bike is like me, he just loves the original model...  :007:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
Yes, I'm not a fan of those risers from the top yoke either. But then I hated the original bars a lot more! When sat on the bike it looks right with the new bars. The 19" front wheel and keeping a low seat height is what has done it for me, I would never have considered another X if they had kept the 17". To me there are so many decent bikes out there that would benefit from a 19" front. Maybe it's just a bike fashion type thing, I come from a bike world where everything was 18"/21"!

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »
Oh and I'm not slating the old one, still a decent looking bike. In reality the changes are so small that most none X owners wouldn't notice the difference.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:09:24 PM »
yet to try the '19 but one of the things I like about 17 inch wheels is the handling/steering input...not ideal for off road but neither is a 19inch front. One of these days I'll book a test ride   :002:

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »
I tried one for an hour on Saturday & in many ways it felt like a different bike to my 16reg, a lot noisier but ok, as stated the Rev counter isn't the best but I don't look at that much, it didn't feel any taller which is why I was testing it, there's a few appearing now with a few miles on second hand, there was one at the dealer I visited pre reg with 0 miles but still full money which I thought was odd? Now I've taken a deposit on mine I might just get one?
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
yet to try the '19 but one of the things I like about 17 inch wheels is the handling/steering input...not ideal for off road but neither is a 19inch front. One of these days I'll book a test ride   :002:

I've got a test ride booked for this Friday, just to see what it's like compared to my old 2017 model. I hope I don't walk away wanting one.

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
I've got a test ride booked for this Friday, just to see what it's like compared to my old 2017 model. I hope I don't walk away wanting one.
Bring your wallet :745:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:30 PM »
I'm going to leave it at home.   :153:

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »
I almost signed up for one there and then but resisted. They had the colour I wanted (red) and could have had a fairly good deal. Trouble is I want a really good deal!!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage