Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear LED taillight addition  (Read 242 times)

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
Rear LED taillight addition
« on: June 21, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
Hi Folks,
After *almost* being rear ended during a rain storm by a SUV driver on her phone ("oh, sorry, I didn't see you!!!"), I added two round LED lights to the back of the bike. These are three wire red LED lights (pretty inexpensive on Ebay).
The black wire is ground, the blue running, and the pink(ish) stop . I tapped into the grey taillight connector under the seat, just behind the seat latch, and connected everything up pretty easily.
I ran the three wires from each LED light through a heat shrink sleeve for protection, although I didn't heat shrink it. The sleeve runs through a drilled hole in the rear "fender", then up into the space behind the rear fender inner cover, which is held on by three bolts. There's kind of a drainage slot that the heat shrink sleeve goes through. Almost like it was designed that way.
The LED lights are attached to a black painted 1/2 inch aluminum strip that I sandwiched between the license plate and the license plate holder.
The running lights look really good at night, and I like the two extra stop lights for any hour.

2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Rear LED taillight addition
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
I went with tiny superbrights from a place in Hong Kong....they weren't cheap, so it was a bit of a gamble, since you can get similar looking micro LEDs for peanuts. I wasn't disappointed....they live up to their reputation. Think they were around 20 ($25)

anything to make you more noticeable is always a good investment by my reckoning
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:19:34 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Rear LED taillight addition
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »
DRLs... :001:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage