Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Too much stuff for a long distance ride?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
Too much stuff for a long distance ride?
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
In a few weeks I'm flying out to California to meet up with a buddy who rides a MotoGuzzi, and to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. Then I'm going to ride from Santa Rosa California back to Virginia. Before my bike was shipped out to California, I test packed the bike with what I intend to bring.

My girlfriend thinks it looks insane, and that it is way too much stuff. My wife says the same thing, but also thinks that *I* am insane for making the trip. That's a whole other story. ;-)

But I think it looks perfectly fine. On the bottom layer on the right is a red dry bag for clothes. Next to it is an orange sack with a camp chair, and above that a self inflating sleeping pad. On the top layer is a Chase Harper B-Alaska "trunk" containing a tent, sleeping bag, and pillow, as well as a tarp.

The side cases will hold a rainsuit, goggles, binoculars, camera, lock, and other ancillary items.

Everything weighed together is about 120 pounds. A bit lighter than my girlfriend, and a lot lighter than my wife. Well, that's another story.

So I figure, hey, that's less than a passenger riding pillion. So I should be fine. I'm wondering what long distance riders out there think? Any advice?

2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Too much stuff for a long distance ride?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
Oh Harry - you are opening up a can of worms here (and I don't mean about the wife vs girlfriend thing ;o)

fwiw. Yeah, you are taking way too much stuff to have a fun (and worry free) motorcycle tour - but if the things you have decided to take with you make you happy/comfortable, then stick with it.

Personally, unless you are planning on camping every single day, you ought to be able to slim down the size/weight of your current gear - but then if that's what you've already got, then it costs you nothing - whereas getting a dedicated bike/backpack size tent, and blow-up mattress and pillow (instead of the self-inflating kind and what I can only imagine is a pillow from your bed at home?) is going to cost a reasonable sum, for something you may not choose to use all that much in future?

The other thing is your bag of clothes - if you are planning on riding pretty much every day, then all you really need is your riding gear, a few sets of underwear, and something to wear around camp/hotel/restaurant each evening. That looks like a lot of stuff in the red duffle?

Having locking side/rear hard boxes is fair enough on what is primarily a road-based trip, handy to lock stuff away when you're away from the bike - so I'd stick with those, but I'd try and get your clothes and personal (wash kit etc.) stuff in them too, and just have a dry bag with your camp on the back seat if possible - that way you can leave it closed if you decide to motel it at all.

Camping chairs... well, if you're in a group scenario for a few days, sure - but if you're moving on each day, they really are not essential - most campgrounds have a bench/table, and if you're wild-camping, then a log or rock (or even just the ground) with your inflatable pillow works fine I'd suggest?

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Jenny x

ps. in case anyone is interested:

...that's less than a quarter of your weight!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:37:18 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »
I thought I was bad at 30kg...... and I have a bed, chair, table and sleeping pad.   

That's a huge bag for clothes. I take the following and wash a set of clothes each day when I have a shower, but in any case I can go three days with underwear without even starting to smell;

1 x Shirt lightweight with collar
2 x T-Shirts, quick dry, for riding.   Both are antibacterial and can go for weeks without washing.
3 x socks
3 x under-ware
1 set sleeping for cold nights (Long Sleeve T-Shirt, socks, leggings, hat)
1 x lightweight cargo trousers with zip to turn into shorts
1 x swimming trunks
1 x deck shoes
2 x Buff
1 x Lightweight puffer jacket (mid layer, casual jacket, sleeping when really cold)

This does me for three weeks camping.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline racer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
Harry, my advice is don't let your wife know about your girlfriend, and vice versa.  Good luck.  Racer

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
I take too much too.

I'd suggest you take that lot on a short\weekend trip or at the very least a days ride. If you're happy with how the bike handles then go for it.

With a short camping trip you'll soon discover what bits are good. What is going to bug you and what you've forgotten. If its a disaster you won't be far from home.

There's a lot to be said for using what you already have or borrowing stuff.

It sounds like you'll be doing a bit of solo riding so its probably not suitable but think about sharing stuff if poss. Eg do you both need a camping stove??
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
everything I needed for a six week camping tour of europe.... :001: Mind You, I wasn't cooking out in the sticks...

two 35L panniers, two 12L dry bags (one in the pannier)
2man tent, thermarest, sleeping bag & liner (it was that hot I just used the liner some nights) trainers, zip-off combats, pack towel, wash bag, inflatable pillow,
3 helly hansen Lifa Tops, 3 pairs socks/pants (3's the Magic number) North Face mid-layer (worn it once the Alps), head-torch, 12v charger, power bank, maps & a book...that's it. You get into a routine of doing laundry every few days. Unless you're going to a function, noone gives a sh*t what you look like...who cares anyway? :008:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:26:59 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 12:00:18 AM »
My bike loaded for a cross country trip last summer, including a 4 person tent, camp chair, CPAP and CPAP battery.

Mick

Offline 32dgrz

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
I spent years traveling on road bikes. At that time I had size efficient components.  Took some time off and everything that I still had and that was still in good condition was huge in size compared to whats available today.  I bit the bullet.  Purchased some new stuff.  Consider that if you have the cash.  Btw many of the things I purchased in like new condition on different forums. Maybe that helps.  Less is more when traveling on a bike
https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,8568.0.html Check here for pics
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:08:42 AM by 32dgrz »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 04:51:51 AM »
Leaving for a 2 week trip around Guatemala on July 1. Will have to post pics of my setup once I get myself fully loaded. I traveled super light when I went rode last time. 40lbs including tools.

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 05:30:36 AM »
Asking the question "Am I bringing too much" is usually an answer in itself. Yes, way too much I think. I'd go for small camping gear: Tent that packs small and light, sleeping bag you can compress to something small. Cut down on socks and underwear and other clothes. If in a bind and you can't wash, spend a few bucks and drive past a Walmart or something for a few cheap ones. Just one set of riding gear. Don't bring an extra mesh jacket, just open the vents and what not on your regular stuff. Maybe one pair of jeans/shorts and one or two t-shirts for off the bike.

Bring a big bar of soap. Works great for washing your body, hair and your socks, underwear and t-shirts and saves you from bringing shampoo and laundry detergent. I wouldn't bring many extra fuel containers, but I would make sure to carry a quart of good motorcycle oil, as that'll be more difficult to find when in a bind. There's always a gas station in the middle of nowhere, but motorcycle-suitable 10W30 might not be found there. Also great to lube the chain if needed. Yes, gear oil is better, but when in a bind, it works well.

Looking at your bag setup, I'd go through your clothes and ditch most of it. That bag looks humongous. Ditch the camp chair. Especially if you decide you can't part with any clothes, you have a big soft sofa right on the back of your bike that you can throw on the ground and sit/lay on. Even if you reduce that bag, find something on location or sit on the ground.

Pillow: MUST be inflatable if it isn't now.

Before you go, take the setup you want to take and go for a ride at freeway speeds, just to make sure it stays put when you go on your trip. Bring extra bungie cords and straps too!

Have fun on your trip!!

Recent Topics