Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Too much stuff for a long distance ride?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
Re: Too much stuff for a long distance ride?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 02:07:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]

One thing, I will be really interested to hear after you get back. What didn't you need, what did you miss, what would you change for next time.

:186:
For the cross the USA ride, I took:
1) for camping: a "pup" tent, sleeping bag, small camping pillow, tarp, self inflating air mattress, camp chair, hiking poles (these were in the black top bag and the yellow dry bag)
2) for wearing: 6 pairs of underwear, a towel, 3 t-shirts, running shoes, running shorts, 1 long sleeve shirt, kevlar lined jeans, regular pair of long pants, hoodie sweater, cold weather riding gloves, and six pairs of socks (these were in the red dry bag).
3) for bad weather: a rain suit
4) for riding: a half height open faced helmet, goggles
5) for seeing: sunglasses and binoculars (I saw bison and antelope in Wyoming with the binoculars)!
6) for navigation: paper maps from each state's Department of Transportation (no google maps!!!)

I rode everyday in the jeans, long sleeved shirt, t shirt underneath. I usually ran after setting up camp just to get the kinks out. I never slept better!

I didn't need the tarp. When you are setting up camp every night and breaking it down every day, you don't have time for a tarp. I used everything else. It was cold on the California/Pacific coast (don't they know it is August!), and I needed the hoodie sweatshirt. Ditto in the Rocky Mountains.

The load looks large, but only weighed around 45 pounds. I had it strapped down tightly, and took the multi-mile stretches of twisties through the mountains without any shifting or change in ride quality.

When I first started out, the load shifted along the CA coast, so I grabbed a 15 inch length of wood I found at a campsite, bungie corded it side to side across the seat, and it held the load steady. It worked really well.

What I did miss is a decent flashlight with a lantern function so I could read after dark. The flashlight I had was a cheap piece of junk and it flickered and turned off at random.

The next time I go (I'm already planning), I'll put a properly cut piece of plywood over the rear part of the seat, secure it well, and then use that as the platform for the load.

Oh, and by the way, when I returned, my girlfriend said she really missed me and wants to go on the next trip. My wife said "oh, you were away?".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:20:40 AM by harryhendo »
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline foamy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastern Shore
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
FWIW, I rode a bicycle across country in '08. Had to travel light as I had to peddle that bugger. If I hadn't touched something after the first monthI sent it home. Everything I ended up carrying weighed about 35 lbs. and packed small. I didn't lack for anything. I intend to do a loop around the States (on the 500x) to see what I didn't, back then. I still have most of the gear. If you can lighten shipyou'll be better off. 5055 lbs. would be a target for me.

You're going to have fun. Particularly when you solo back to VA. Travelling by yourself opens you up to meeting a lot of folks as you travel. That was the only epiphany I came away with. Folks between the mountains are very cool.

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 CB500X/14 VFR
  • City / Town: Fairfield
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
Years ago, I camped but not anymore! I need a bed, hot shower, and ac! If I slept on the ground, it would take an act of congress to get me up from the ground (ain't happening)! Did you tell your girlfriend to get her own bike; you don't have enough room for stuff and her too???
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by zoomnad [+]
Did you tell your girlfriend to get her own bike; you don't have enough room for stuff and her too???
Yes, she knows she can't fit, but she doesn't like riding pillion either, even with an expert like me at the helm.  :018:

She has a Royal Enfield Himalayan, which suits her very well. It is a simple and capable machine, and the sound from that one cylinder thumper motor is superb. She "downsized" (like I did), tired of heavy 1000CC+ bikes and their thirsty manners. Its quality is not up to Honda standards (valve cover leaks, steering head bearings within 10K miles), but is a perfect size for her.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by foamy [+]
I intend to do a loop around the States (on the 500x) to see what I didn't, back then. I still have most of the gear. If you can lighten ship—you'll be better off. 50–55 lbs. would be a target for me.

You're going to have fun. Particularly when you solo back to VA. Travelling by yourself opens you up to meeting a lot of folks as you travel. That was the only epiphany I came away with. Folks between the mountains are very cool.

Thanks... I did lighten the load considerably from the original, down to about 40 pounds. I was on some 30+ mile stretches of twists and turns through the mountains and never felt the load.
I really liked riding solo, as I could stop anytime I wanted. Whenever I'd stop, some curious person would say "hello, where y'all from?", and we'd get into a great conversation. I especially liked talking to the ranchers out in Wyoming and Nebraska. They are very far from "civilization", but are sharp as tacks. No nonsense. As Steve Mcqueen said "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth".  :034:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
This is what I currently take on my CB - for a week, a month, or a year...

Jx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:27:28 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
It's true, I've witnessed this first hand, and learned a lot from JMo. It's amazing the difference between what you think you need compared to what you actually will use.

*Originally Posted by JMo [+]

Online richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »

Jx

I'm with JMo.  I just rode my CB from London to Beijing - 3 months, 13,000 miles.  I had no top box or roll bag, just two 37l Metal Mule panniers and a small tank bag.  I had too much stuff and reckon next time I can get it down to one pannier's worth plus maybe a slightly bigger tank bag. I wasn't camping but if I can get my personal gear and tools into one pannier, the other has plenty of room for camping stuff.

Less is definitely more, especially with personal gear like clothes.  With modern quick-dry kit and non-smelly fabrics like merino you never need more than two of anything.

Stuff is the enemy of fun and relaxation...

Enjoy the trip...

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »

Sounds like a great trip. What rack system did you use for the Metal Mule cans?

*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
I'm with JMo.  I just rode my CB from London to Beijing - 3 months, 13,000 miles.  I had no top box or roll bag, just two 37l Metal Mule panniers and a small tank bag.

Offline RobM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 10:36:51 PM »

Jx

I'm amazed at how much stuff fits in that bag.... I may have to reconsider panniers!

Recent Topics