Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018  (Read 2124 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Oyabun

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 487
  • Country: hu
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »
Very good comments from others.
I'd add that you want to loosen (do not remove, just get it started) the cap while still fixed in the triples, and also loosen the bottom allen hex bolt while the legs are together - the preload pressure helps tho keep the damper rod in place.
Also before you remove the cap, loosen the preload adjuster if you have one, otherwise the cap can go airborn. If you have no preload adjuster cap, it's time to install one when you assemble everything. Lastly make sure you drain the fluid well by cycling the forks to pump out fluid before you attempt assembly. The legs have some 460ml of fluid but even a small amount can make a huge mess.
Lastly, don't know how many miles you have on your bike, and what's the status of your seals, but this would be a good time to change those too if they are in need of doing so.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:47:45 AM by Oyabun »

Offline Sherloc

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: KCMO
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by hondamxracer [+]
In summary, I spent a little less than $100 US upgrading the suspension on my CB500X (front: springs, dampers, prelaod caps, oil; rear: GSXR750 shock). The best money I have spent in a long time on a bike.

Did you use the stock GSXR spring or change it out? To confirm, for the fork it 2019 OEM damper rod and front spring?

Thanks for the feedback!


Offline Bradmeister

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: th
  • Springs and Sprockets
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bangkok
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 04:57:22 AM »
HONDAMXRACER,

No U-Tube is not your friend, The Blind leading the blind.
The man on the video, obviously has no idea what he is doing......

All of you should have been taught in Middle School or Jounior High (Especially you folks in the USA) A Spring is an ENERGY STORAGE DEVICE!  it is specifically made for a purpose, with a spring rate(s) and Stroke! It is made from different materials and has different processes to come up with a desired result.

A Man installing A race/sport bike spring from whatever year of a YZF600 and throws it at his Honda 500 and hope it works out is a fool.  So, you are now following a fool!

Did you not see the Dual Spring Rate that came out of the Honda?  Did you not see the single rate spring going in?  THAT SHOULD BE A VERY LARGE RED FLAG TO ALL OF YOU!

.....as far as damper rods and Oils. 

Damper Tubes, actually.....  when lengthened do what?  Thats right, change the Squat of your bike! So now you just raised the Handlebars, changed the geometry of the Bike, and affected the ability for it to turn.  Thank about it.

Oils, You guys who think Fork Oils are regulated by some Racing agency or secret Government agency........WRONG.  Oil is for Final Tuning and it's very very important!

A 10 Wt oil from Honda (which is Actually Transmission Fluid) has a vescosity index of 35.2 cSt @ 40C. A 10 wt oil from White Power has a Viscosity of 48.1, and A 10 Wt oil from ohlins has a viscosity of 22. Does that mean anything to any of you? Probably not.  Go look it up!

You have no idea what viscosity you have unless you look it up, do your home work, and really build your dream forks! 

The Engineers at Ohlins, Wilbers, Nitron, and whoever, are spending 10's of thousands of dollars a year, making Newer motorcycles ride smoother, more stable, and with the confidence you want from your suspension. They buy almost every Bike made, take it apart, measure, test and proto type the suspensions they make. 

Do they have off days just like everyone else, on some models? Sure they do, But they have a lot of more research, engineering and experimenting in controlled test enviroments then all of you combined. DO THE MATH!

Stop hacking your Bikes, watching VDO's and trying to do suspensions on the cheap!  Read the horror stories on the Web, of people crashing the're bikes, because they lost control of the machine, or can't stand the way they ride any longer.

Don't be that guy, thenall the money you thought you saved, and all the effort and time you lost.....could have been riding your next adventure!

Cheers

2009 BMW K1200 GT, 2013 Kawasaki 650 Ninja,
(2)2015 Honda CB500X, 2013 KTM 350 SXF, 2013 CBR250R
2014 KTM 250 SX, 2007 KTM 250 SXF
2013 Husqvarna 125 TE, 2014 Kawasaki 140L, 2015 125 MSX, 2016 Click125

Offline Sherloc

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: KCMO
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by hondamxracer [+]
In summary, I spent a little less than $100 US upgrading the suspension on my CB500X (front: springs, dampers, prelaod caps, oil; rear: GSXR750 shock). The best money I have spent in a long time on a bike. Before upgrading to the RR components, I would spend the $100 first to see if this meets your needs. If not, no harm. As I'm sure someone would gladly take a full suspension upgrade off your hands for less than $100 

@hindamxracer - From whom\where did you source the 2019 parts?

Thx!

Offline CB-500-X

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2048
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 02:36:53 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:44:10 AM by CB-500-X »

Offline Sherloc

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: KCMO
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 03:22:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]

Thanks! Its amazing the spread in pricing you find.

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 893
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 05:04:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bradmeister [+]
HONDAMXRACER,

No U-Tube is not your friend, The Blind leading the blind.
The man on the video, obviously has no idea what he is doing......

All of you should have been taught in Middle School or Jounior High (Especially you folks in the USA) A Spring is an ENERGY STORAGE DEVICE!  it is specifically made for a purpose, with a spring rate(s) and Stroke! It is made from different materials and has different processes to come up with a desired result.

A Man installing A race/sport bike spring from whatever year of a YZF600 and throws it at his Honda 500 and hope it works out is a fool.  So, you are now following a fool!

Did you not see the Dual Spring Rate that came out of the Honda?  Did you not see the single rate spring going in?  THAT SHOULD BE A VERY LARGE RED FLAG TO ALL OF YOU!

.....as far as damper rods and Oils. 

Damper Tubes, actually.....  when lengthened do what?  Thats right, change the Squat of your bike! So now you just raised the Handlebars, changed the geometry of the Bike, and affected the ability for it to turn.  Thank about it.

Oils, You guys who think Fork Oils are regulated by some Racing agency or secret Government agency........WRONG.  Oil is for Final Tuning and it's very very important!

A 10 Wt oil from Honda (which is Actually Transmission Fluid) has a vescosity index of 35.2 cSt @ 40C. A 10 wt oil from White Power has a Viscosity of 48.1, and A 10 Wt oil from ohlins has a viscosity of 22. Does that mean anything to any of you? Probably not.  Go look it up!

You have no idea what viscosity you have unless you look it up, do your home work, and really build your dream forks! 

The Engineers at Ohlins, Wilbers, Nitron, and whoever, are spending 10's of thousands of dollars a year, making Newer motorcycles ride smoother, more stable, and with the confidence you want from your suspension. They buy almost every Bike made, take it apart, measure, test and proto type the suspensions they make. 

Do they have off days just like everyone else, on some models? Sure they do, But they have a lot of more research, engineering and experimenting in controlled test enviroments then all of you combined. DO THE MATH!

Stop hacking your Bikes, watching VDO's and trying to do suspensions on the cheap!  Read the horror stories on the Web, of people crashing the're bikes, because they lost control of the machine, or can't stand the way they ride any longer.

Don't be that guy, thenall the money you thought you saved, and all the effort and time you lost.....could have been riding your next adventure!

Cheers
All good except you missed the main point-he did it and it worked so what's the problem-if we don't do things outside the box how do we learn
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Gills

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 500
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bradmeister [+]
Oils, You guys who think Fork Oils are regulated by some Racing agency or secret Government agency........WRONG.  Oil is for Final Tuning and it's very very important!

A 10 Wt oil from Honda (which is Actually Transmission Fluid) has a vescosity index of 35.2 cSt @ 40C. A 10 wt oil from White Power has a Viscosity of 48.1, and A 10 Wt oil from ohlins has a viscosity of 22. Does that mean anything to any of you? Probably not.  Go look it up!

Slightly OT, but I don't understand why fork oil is specified and sold by Wt figures, but the real measure of its performance is its viscosity, which varies wildly. There is also no consideration of its performance at different temperatures - the viscosity of my fork oil is going to be very different on a wet winter UK road (temperature under 5C, with spray cooling the outside of the fork) to a someone riding hard in southern europe during summer (dry and 40+C temps).

Online timur

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 107
  • Country: es
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: 2019 Damper Rods In Pre-2018
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
Slightly OT, but I don't understand why fork oil is specified and sold by Wt figures, but the real measure of its performance is its viscosity, which varies wildly. There is also no consideration of its performance at different temperatures - the viscosity of my fork oil is going to be very different on a wet winter UK road (temperature under 5C, with spray cooling the outside of the fork) to a someone riding hard in southern europe during summer (dry and 40+C temps).
Certainly the fork works bit different with hot and cold weather - here in Madrid we have 40deg in summer and below 0 in winter. And in summer the fork feels bit mushy while in winter it's harsh during the first km at the morning. Low speed damping is the most affected in this case but only if you have shim valves installed - stock fork is less sensible to temp variation.

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage