Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avon Trailrider  (Read 8970 times)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Avon Trailrider
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
the front half of the bike just joined the Avon Trailrider club,  (the oe front tyre needed changing after 33054 miles)
at first the Avon felt a bit slow and heavy compared to the Dunlop which had worn to a triangular profile, but after a couple of days riding the Avon felt great and doesn't follow tram lines like the Dunlop did.
once the rear Dunlop needs replacing that will also be joining the Avon club

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 01:36:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Perfictsib [+]
the front half of the bike just joined the Avon Trailrider club,

I'm still happy. My Avon record:

6240 miles New pair - F 8mm, R 5mm.
15900 New read - F 3.5mm
20000 R 5mm, F 3mm

I did replace the rear early because of a big trip coming up.
The front is now 14000 and maybe good for another 7000.

All my bikes seem to work out 1 front to 2 rears.
Brian.

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: bath
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 04:54:22 PM »
Wow some serious mileages on trailriders, has anyone got any pictures of the tyres at these high mileages >10k miles for example ..wonder what I am doing wrong, other than not running trailriders.
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by hec [+]
Wow some serious mileages on trailriders, has anyone got any pictures of the tyres at these high mileages >10k miles for example ..wonder what I am doing wrong, other than not running trailriders.
hec,

I'm on my second set of TrailRiders but I can't provide a pic of them with >10K miles on them because I've not got more than about 6500-7000 miles on the rears.  This is my first TR front, but the Scorpion front made 11,800 miles.  So, I'm on my third rear and second front, and the bike has about 15K miles on it.  I love these tires!  They inspire great confidence to ride the twisties at higher speeds than I ever rode before!  And I ride faster in the rain than I ever did with the Scorpions.

I read these posts touting >10K miles on a rear tire and I wonder , the same as you, "What am I doing wrong?"

Well, the answer is nothing!!  Look at who is getting all those high miles on their tires and they are all slow riders.  I live, and ride a lot in Texas, and western states, where I generally ride at greater than 70 mph (US mph); we Texans have quite a few roads with 80 and 85 mph speed limits, and I always use every bit of the limit, and as much more as I feel I can get away with! 

Often I am bucking a head wind and I have lots of gear bolted and strapped to the bike!  All this adds up to tremendous aerodynamic drag on the bike.  The aero drag is a function of the square of the velocity, so as your speed increases, the aero drag increases with the square of the speed.  (The drag at 85 mph is almost twice the drag at 65 mph.  Increasing the speed 30% increases the drag 70%, 1.7x)  That drag translates into a lot of force on the road through the contact patch of the rear tire; thus, more rear tire wear.  You can also see the effect of my speed on my fuel mileage in my Fuelly fuel mileage average, 55.2 mph over 75 fuel logs.

I logged 13K miles last year and expect to do as many this year.  Riding this many miles makes constantly concerned about tire mileage.  I start considering my tires far in advance of a long ride.  I expect to install a new tire on the rear before a couple of long rides we are planning this spring, and then swap back after to wear out the rear I am now riding!

All this said, I doubt I will ever ride any other tire.  I have great respect for the Michelin PR4 and PR5, which are similarly constructed tires (dual compound) but designed more for highway use than the Avon TrailRiders.  Though most of my riding is on the highway, I do get off on gravel roads and a few trails sometimes and I want the extra traction and stability the TR's offer.

The bottom line is, it's not so much the tire one rides as it is how fast one rides 'em!  IMHO! 

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »
I think you've cracked it Aggie
I have a mate who can get really high mileage out of his tyres. Definitely not fun riding with him.  :139:
Occasionally he will hit 60mph  :149:

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: bath
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »

OK not tyres for the cb500x a slightly bigger/heavier bike, don't record the mileage but somewhere between 8-10k, I am puzzled how people get 2x rears for 1x front these pr3 badly scalloped on front not brilliant on the rear and rear lost its ability to shed water enough so started to follow lines meant was happy to change them esp when you see how thin they were and very easy to remove, Angel gt's going on, a very different carcass tyre
these pr4 again about 10k from the cb500x, scalloping less noticeable on pr4 vs pr3 but close look at front you will see marked difference between leading and trailing edges of tread pattern, as a pair the tyres had worn very evenly but had gone off in the wet
Old fart on board getting 80 mpg don't live in Scotland so tarmac is not particularly aggressive to tyres, cb is a work bike so plods along all day does not go on motorways and I ride to the system and within the law... stll at a loss to understand the high mileages some of you are getting
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Recent Topics