Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PR5 Tread LIfe  (Read 855 times)

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
I  now have just over 6,000 miles on my PR5s.  Close to 5,000 of those miles were from my run to Colorado and back, which means that most of them were with more than the usual weight on the bike, and lots and lots of straight, flat roads.  The tires still look good.  The rear is definitely squared off a bit, but not as bad as I expected.  If I measure the tread depth at one of the indicators in the most worn section of the tire (the middle), I still have 3mm of tread left.  Near the sides, it is closer to 5mm.  The same holds for the front though there the wear is more even and the straight roads are clearly kinder:  3mm left at the most worn section. 

So I am pleased.  I expect another 4,000 - 5,000 miles from the tires, and maybe more from the front.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:53 AM »
If your saying you have 3 mm rear tread left I don't think you will get another 4-5K miles on that tire-because replacement on any M/C rear tire is 2 mm so you have 1 mm left of usable tire tread
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 04:02:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If your saying you have 3 mm rear tread left I don't think you will get another 4-5K miles on that tire-because replacement on any M/C rear tire is 2 mm so you have 1 mm left of usable tire tread

I'm measuring front the top of the tread wear indicator to the top the tread (i.e. how much tread has to wear away for the tread wear indicator to be exposed), not the full depth of the tread. Doesn't that give me 3mm, or do I have that wrong?

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I'm measuring front the top of the tread wear indicator to the top the tread (i.e. how much tread has to wear away for the tread wear indicator to be exposed), not the full depth of the tread. Doesn't that give me 3mm, or do I have that wrong?
If your measuring from the top of the wear bar your in good shape-yes you have it right-it's just that you didn't say that in your first post-all good
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:19:04 AM by motorboy »
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If your measuring from the top of the wear bar your in good shape-yes you have it right-it's just that you didn't say that in your first post-all good

Thanks! So as far as wear goes, I'm satisfied with the PR5s, but unlike my long trip last year on PR4s,  I encountered very little rain this year so I can't say hope they are in the rain.

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Thanks! So as far as wear goes, I'm satisfied with the PR5s, but unlike my long trip last year on PR4s,  I encountered very little rain this year so I can't say hope they are in the rain.

I had PR5 during 20000km and they worked flawlessly in rain. And IMO they are better balanced for CB500X than ContiRoadAttack3 that I'm using now.

The unique problem I found was the warm up time in cold weather with weared thread - in fact it was the reason to replace the rear tyre with about 3 mm of thread still available.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
The unique problem I found was the warm up time in cold weather with weared thread - in fact it was the reason to replace the rear tyre with about 3 mm of thread still available.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage