Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PR5 Tread LIfe  (Read 1644 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 714
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
I  now have just over 6,000 miles on my PR5s.  Close to 5,000 of those miles were from my run to Colorado and back, which means that most of them were with more than the usual weight on the bike, and lots and lots of straight, flat roads.  The tires still look good.  The rear is definitely squared off a bit, but not as bad as I expected.  If I measure the tread depth at one of the indicators in the most worn section of the tire (the middle), I still have 3mm of tread left.  Near the sides, it is closer to 5mm.  The same holds for the front though there the wear is more even and the straight roads are clearly kinder:  3mm left at the most worn section. 

So I am pleased.  I expect another 4,000 - 5,000 miles from the tires, and maybe more from the front.

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 877
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:53 AM »
If your saying you have 3 mm rear tread left I don't think you will get another 4-5K miles on that tire-because replacement on any M/C rear tire is 2 mm so you have 1 mm left of usable tire tread
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 714
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 04:02:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If your saying you have 3 mm rear tread left I don't think you will get another 4-5K miles on that tire-because replacement on any M/C rear tire is 2 mm so you have 1 mm left of usable tire tread

I'm measuring front the top of the tread wear indicator to the top the tread (i.e. how much tread has to wear away for the tread wear indicator to be exposed), not the full depth of the tread. Doesn't that give me 3mm, or do I have that wrong?

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 877
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I'm measuring front the top of the tread wear indicator to the top the tread (i.e. how much tread has to wear away for the tread wear indicator to be exposed), not the full depth of the tread. Doesn't that give me 3mm, or do I have that wrong?
If your measuring from the top of the wear bar your in good shape-yes you have it right-it's just that you didn't say that in your first post-all good
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:19:04 AM by motorboy »
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 714
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If your measuring from the top of the wear bar your in good shape-yes you have it right-it's just that you didn't say that in your first post-all good

Thanks! So as far as wear goes, I'm satisfied with the PR5s, but unlike my long trip last year on PR4s,  I encountered very little rain this year so I can't say hope they are in the rain.

Offline timur

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Country: es
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Thanks! So as far as wear goes, I'm satisfied with the PR5s, but unlike my long trip last year on PR4s,  I encountered very little rain this year so I can't say hope they are in the rain.

I had PR5 during 20000km and they worked flawlessly in rain. And IMO they are better balanced for CB500X than ContiRoadAttack3 that I'm using now.

The unique problem I found was the warm up time in cold weather with weared thread - in fact it was the reason to replace the rear tyre with about 3 mm of thread still available.

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 714
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
The unique problem I found was the warm up time in cold weather with weared thread - in fact it was the reason to replace the rear tyre with about 3 mm of thread still available.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

Offline Aggie95

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 05:19:49 AM »
FWIW, I'll throw in a couple of cents; maybe you won't feel so shorted on your tire mileage...  :002:

I bought my '14 in October of '18 with 2100 miles on it and the original Scorpions.  The seller had a new pair of Avon Trailriders; we bought them as well. 

At just over 6000 miles, I put on the new Avon rear because I had worn through to the casing on the rear Scorpion!  The front had plenty of miles left in it.  Maybe I had improved my skills considerably, but I felt way more confident in that Avon rear riding twisties than I had felt with the Scorpion.  My "chicken strips" got a lot narrower!! (I should also note here that the Trailriders are a "dual compound" tire; the compound in the center has more silica content to increase the mileage, while the compound in the sides is softer for more cornering grip.  I love these tires!!)  :169:

At 11,800 miles I bought and installed another new Avon for the rear and installed the new Avon front I bought with the bike. 

So, the original Scorpions lasted 6K miles on the rear and almost 12K miles on the front.  (Obviously, I'm on the throttle a lot more than the brake!!)  The first Trailrider on the rear lasted 5800 miles, though it was not quite completely worn out.  I've read a lot of threads on this forum about tires and tire wear, and I appear to fall in the bottom of the mileage scale! :018:

I believe my riding style is to blame.  My son and I usually ride together, and we ride the twisties of Arkansas and the Ozarks as often as possible.  But, most of our riding has been in West Texas, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Colorado, and points in between, at 85 mph or more, with panniers, a top case, a 45 L dry bag and camping gear strapped across the pillion, a large wind screen, etc.  It takes a lot of power to push that much wind drag.  We almost always are under a self imposed time constraint, so we often ride between 500 and 700 miles per day.  And, riding straight up constrains the wear to the centers of the tires, so my rears always have wide flat centers with little wear on the sides!  Until I slow down and ride twistier roads, I guess I'll be buying a lot of tires, and a lot of gas!  My X averages only 54 mpg over 50+ fill-ups.

On a related topic, I noticed the Avon Trailriders have no wear indicators; I thought US DOT required 2/32 wear indicators on all tires sold in the US since the fifties...  :084:


 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:22:45 AM by Aggie95 »

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 714
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
I believe my riding style is to blame.  My son and I usually ride together, and we ride the twisties of Arkansas and the Ozarks as often as possible.  But, most of our riding has been in West Texas, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Colorado, and points in between, at 85 mph or more, with panniers, a top case, a 45 L dry bag and camping gear strapped across the pillion, a large wind screen, etc.  It takes a lot of power to push that much wind drag.  We almost always are under a self imposed time constraint, so we often ride between 500 and 700 miles per day.  And, riding straight up constrains the wear to the centers of the tires, so my rears always have wide flat centers with little wear on the sides!  Until I slow down and ride twistier roads, I guess I'll be buying a lot of tires, and a lot of gas!  My X averages only 54 mpg over 50+ fill-ups

I wonder if the fact that you probably also ride in some pretty hot weather makes a difference.

Offline Aggie95

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
Re: PR5 Tread LIfe
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I wonder if the fact that you probably also ride in some pretty hot weather makes a difference.

I have a confession; I haven't been on a ride more than 30 miles (only two of them) since we got back from the Dakotas in late May!  Call me a fair weather rider, but it's HOT in Texas in the summer!!

My son and I are Jonesin' for a ride, but we both are adamant about ATGATT, and it's just too hot.  We rode the Hill Country of Texas in April; it was only 82 F but I swore I would not ride again until I had all white gear!!  By the time we road the Dakotas in May, I had all white gear except for my helment; I have a new white HJC now and I can't wright a review on it because it's been too hot to ride any distance to test it!

This past winter, we found it much easier to prepare for high twenties than high seventies!!  We find it ironic that you guys up North put your bikes up for the winter and we want to put ours up for the summer!

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage