Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Our summer trip...  (Read 479 times)

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
Our summer trip...
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »
Matthew and I just got back from our summer motorcycle trip and it was fantastic! We rode north through the Flint Hills of Kansas (the southern part of the Flint Hills is better but I hadn't ridden the northern section). Then we headed northwest through the sandhills of Nebraska (very pretty riding but was still flooded here and there). We rode through South Dakota's badlands and around the southern end of the black hills. Then we headed north through Wyoming, riding through the Wind River canyon (beautiful riding through the bottom of the canyon) and into Montana. We turned back south and rode the Beartooth Hwy over Beartooth Pass (still snow skiing up there when we rode through) to the northern entrance of Yellowstone. That pass was our first taste of cold riding and it lasted for the next 3 days. We rode south through Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons NP in very chilly temps but otherwise nice weather. Riding south toward the western side of the Rockies we ran into a snow storm. Rode through that for about 3 terrifying hours then reached our hotel. The plan had been to ride through Rocky Mountain NP on the way back to Kansas but the rode was closed the next day due to snow. So we headed further south and crossed the Rockies on I70 and headed home.
Eight days, 3000 miles, 6 states, two thunder storms, a snow storm and more beautiful sights than I would have believed possible. We didn't take any pictures the last three days because of the cold, the snow and then riding home through boring old western Kansas. Thanks for a great week son, I am truly a lucky Dad!
I put titles on the pictures but don't know if they'll show up.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:40:43 PM by drjack »
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Our summer trip...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 02:30:39 PM »
Looks like a great trip!  Was the snow you got part of the storm that hit CO?  And would you do anything differently?

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
Yes, it was the storm that hit CO. No real way to plan for snow that late in the season. We wanted to stop when we first ran into the snow storm but all the hotels were full. The only thing I would have done differently was carry better rain gear and maybe some thermal under clothes. I was carrying Frogg Toggs and they ripped in the wind. Got another set (couldn't find anything else) and they ripped too. I didn't get totally soaked because my riding jacket has a waterproof liner but it would have been nice to be completely dry.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by drjack [+]
Yes, it was the storm that hit CO. No real way to plan for snow that late in the season. We wanted to stop when we first ran into the snow storm but all the hotels were full. The only thing I would have done differently was carry better rain gear and maybe some thermal under clothes. I was carrying Frogg Toggs and they ripped in the wind. Got another set (couldn't find anything else) and they ripped too. I didn't get totally soaked because my riding jacket has a waterproof liner but it would have been nice to be completely dry.

Thanks. I wore Frogg Toggs for the first time last year and they seemed to hold up all right in a lot of rain, though they didn't keep me completely dry but dry enough for summer rains. Mine are the All Sports Rain & Wind ones.

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »
Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!!!

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:37:18 PM »
Looks like a nice trip. Thanks for sharing!  :821:

Nothing like getting out for a few days on the bike.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:32:14 PM »
That was a nice trip. Rain, snow, wind - mountain riding 😁
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
Here are some of the pictures my son took on our trip last month. He finally got around to sharing them with me!

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 03:10:02 AM »
More wonderful pics!  I just came back from Colorado, and I was amazed at the amount of water still pouring off the hills from snow melt!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage