Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Throttle Assembly Stop / Start Switch, won't close all the way.  (Read 444 times)

Offline DarwishMoto

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester
So after doing a handlebar replacement, I am having an issue where for whatever reason my switch assemble won't close.
Even with both screws tightened all the way.
Basically, at the bottom, there is a gap even with both screws in all the way.
I have tried tightening the screws in different ways to try to close the gap but to no avail.
below are pictures of both the top and the bottom of the switch assembly.
https://imgur.com/2783Q5A
https://imgur.com/dhqT58k
very small issue but I want to put it back together as it was.
Thanks in advance.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Throttle Assembly Stop / Start Switch, won't close all the way.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by DarwishMoto [+]
So after doing a handlebar replacement, I am having an issue where for whatever reason my switch assemble won't close.
Even with both screws tightened all the way.
Basically, at the bottom, there is a gap even with both screws in all the way.
I have tried tightening the screws in different ways to try to close the gap but to no avail.
below are pictures of both the top and the bottom of the switch assembly.
https://imgur.com/2783Q5A
https://imgur.com/dhqT58k
very small issue but I want to put it back together as it was.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you've not got the pin in the switchgear located in the hole in the bars - have you replaced the bars with OEM ones, or aftermarket?

The OEM ones come with the hole/s drilled (so you just need to make sure the pin locates in the hole before you tighten the screws) - but aftermarket bars will need a small hole (approx 5mm diameter) drilling in the underside, for the locating pin to locate in - this stops the throttle assembly rotating around the bars, as the clamping action itself (particularly with street-style plastic switch-gear/throttle assemblies such as fitted to the CB) is not really sufficient to hold the throttle assembly securely.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
If you don't want to drill the bars for the  locator pin simply grind the pin off and add friction tape around the bars.
Then secure the controls in the usual way.
I haven't done this on my CB but I have seen it done successfully on other bikes.
Just a thought.....
YMMV
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Britchris [+]
If you don't want to drill the bars for the  locator pin simply grind the pin off and add friction tape around the bars.
Then secure the controls in the usual way.
I haven't done this on my CB but I have seen it done successfully on other bikes.
Just a thought.....
YMMV
Chris C

Chris, that really shouldn't be recommended - particularly for the throttle side as the throttle assembly is integral with the switchgear cluster, and it is essential the assembly cannot spin around the bar (I shouldn't have to highlight that the throttle is constantly pulled back and forth of course, ultimately putting strain on any 'tape' you use) - grinding off that pin it is a poor/lazy solution.

By all means grind the pin of the left hand switchgear as this is a non-essential part, but the throttle side really should retain the pin.

If someone feels unable to drill a small hole in the bottom of their handlebar, then I'd suggest they probably shouldn't be swapping fundamental things such as handle-bars and controls around on their bike. Get someone to help you.

Sorry to sound so sanctimonious, but we are talking about a fundamental control element here - and while the current owner might be happy to take that chance and grind off the throttle side pin, it is not fair on any subsequent owner to have had that 'security/safety' element permanently removed - something which they may not even be aware of.

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
Jno: Fair enough.
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline DarwishMoto

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Sounds like you've not got the pin in the switchgear located in the hole in the bars - have you replaced the bars with OEM ones, or aftermarket?

The OEM ones come with the hole/s drilled (so you just need to make sure the pin locates in the hole before you tighten the screws) - but aftermarket bars will need a small hole (approx 5mm diameter) drilling in the underside, for the locating pin to locate in - this stops the throttle assembly rotating around the bars, as the clamping action itself (particularly with street-style plastic switch-gear/throttle assemblies such as fitted to the CB) is not really sufficient to hold the throttle assembly securely.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Hi, Jenny -

I haven't had a chance to look at it but I am pretty sure you are on the money, as i didn't look for that at all.
I did buy an OEM handlebar from Babbits ( 53100-MGZ-307ZA), I will look at it after work today and update the thread.
Thank you for your help.

P.S Are you the famous Jenny with the rally raid X ?

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by DarwishMoto [+]
Hi, Jenny -

I haven't had a chance to look at it but I am pretty sure you are on the money, as i didn't look for that at all.
I did buy an OEM handlebar from Babbits ( 53100-MGZ-307ZA), I will look at it after work today and update the thread.
Thank you for your help.

P.S Are you the famous Jenny with the rally raid X ?

Hi Darwish' - if they are the OEM replacement bars, then yes, almost certainly you've just not got the pin lined up in the hole (it's essentially directly underneath, when the bars are mounted in the usual position). If you just loosen both screws you ought to be able to rotate the assembly and perhaps move it and and out along the length of the bar slightly and you should soon feel the pin click into place. Do up the screws again and you're golden!

I wouldn't say famous, but yes I am known ;o)

Jenny x

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:34:58 PM »
I had problems locating the pin on my 2016 when I cocked up the heated grip fitting, takes a bit of patience, as Jenny says you've to move it slowly till it drops in, if you put your finger underneath or get a torch & look you'll see it.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »
Echoing what Jenny said. Don't grind off the tabs. Take the time to drill the holes and mount the switchgear correctly.

One word of advice is to take your time with the drilling. I recently did it and used a small file to enlarge the hole little by little to finally get to proper size. Also began the drilling by using a punch to start and position the drill bit. You want that pin to fit snugly, or else the switchgear will rock back and forth (thus driving you nuts).  :008:

Best of luck.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Echoing what Jenny said. Don't grind off the tabs. Take the time to drill the holes and mount the switchgear correctly.

One word of advice is to take your time with the drilling. I recently did it and used a small file to enlarge the hole little by little to finally get to proper size. Also began the drilling by using a punch to start and position the drill bit. You want that pin to fit snugly, or else the switchgear will rock back and forth (thus driving you nuts).  :008:

Best of luck.

I'm going to add to the above....if you file a small 'flat' on the bar where you plan to drill the hole, it's easier to mark/drill it more accurately....works for any cylindrical tubing, provided the 'flat' won't interfere with the finished item

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage