Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hepco & Becker Engine Bars  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Nick of Time

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Narrabri, NSW
Re: Hepco & Becker Engine Bars
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 02:58:24 AM »
My 2016 'X has Hepco & Becker engine and tank protection bars. They've caused a few problems, but also protected the bike during a few stationary falls (ahem), so on balance they've been a worthwhile mod.

• The left engine bar's flat mounting plate did need some love from an angle grinder to clear the gear change rod. Maybe that's from how I've adjusted the gear change? The grinding hasn't significantly weakened them.
  • The right hand engine bar broke due to vibration fatigue. The Australian importer checked with H&B who assured them that it's never happened before. I could have exchanged them but rather than argue with Germans (it didn't go well last time), I welded the crack up, added a strengthening fillet and had them re-powdercoated for $20.
  • Because the engine bars resonated, they broke both front engine-mount-to-frame bolts where they bolt on. Then they broke the 10.8 grade replacements, so I changed how they attach to the frame and motor.
  • The tank protection bars have a bad resonance at 6000rpm, which is about 115km/h in top. They actually blur. The easy solution is to avoid that speed! I'm worried that they'll eventually fatigue though, so may re-engineer the bar-to-chassis mounts to change their resonant frequency.
Late developer

Offline fatal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
  • City / Town: St Helens (ish)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
That's nice to know as I've a set of them to fit this week, did you support the engine while you did the job just thinking it may be needed while engine bolts are loosened?

Hi, did you fit the H+B engine bars? are you happy with them? any problems while fitting them?
Cheers, Al.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
Yes I've fitted them no problems, I supported the engine on a block of timber & a trolley jack seen as you have to remove & replace the engine bolts one by one, the rear engine bolt is the worst as you need a hand at either side of the engine to tighten the bolt then torque it.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline fatal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
  • City / Town: St Helens (ish)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
Thanks, I'll probably order a set along with some C Bow pannier fittings,

Recent Topics