Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CBX in USA?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Arizona USA
2019 CBX in USA?
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »
Can the wise Forum help?  Can't seem to find if the 2019 CB500X models have rolled out in the USA yet.  Last I read they were supposed to arrive stateside in March, 2019.  I asked my dealer for a 2019 CB500X last week &, silly me, turns out there's none around.  Plenty of older models on sale but the dealer is researching ordering  a 2019 from Honda. My dealer is the newest Honda dealer in Arizona so I hope they're eager to help me find a 2019 & get more of these on the road.

Anybody tell me the CB500X status in the USA?  Joined the Forum just to get some help with this but hope to be a permanent member soon!  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ride safely, Bob in AZ, USA
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: 2019 CBX in USA?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:23:39 AM »
2019 models are starting to be delivered in the US now (the first ones reported from the beginning of this month - although those have tended to be on the east side of the country), but not every dealer has their allocation and/or bothered to order the new model (especially if they still have 2018 models or older in stock) which is why you still don't see them on the shop floor in certain areas.

You ought to start seeing them from next month out west - for example my local dealer in San Jose is getting one [for the shop floor] next month - July.

Jenny x
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:31:01 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Arizona USA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »
Jenny, many thx for the good info.  I've followed the CBX for awhile now & researching particulars for at least a couple months.  But, I never imagined 1/2 thru 2019 the bikes would just now be coming out.  Usually, the 2020's would be coming out in August or September.  So, my fault.

With any luck, my dealer will order for me, I'll pay MSRP, tax & registration but my dealer does not add on any dealer fees.  I think that may be the best I can do early in the model run.  Thoughts?

Again, thx a ton for the update & shame on me being ill informed.  Cheers from sunny hot Arizona, USA
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 03:20:37 AM »
Was at Libby's in New Haven, Connecticut last week and they had a red 2019 on the floor. Was already sold, so I didn't get to sit on it. Nice looking bike.

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:12:20 AM »
From What I was told all of the first shipment of 2019's have already been sent to the dealers(USA) with more to follow in Aug and being there are still plenty of old stock on hand not that many 2019's were ordered--mines in the garage
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Shaky6

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Taylor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
Yep.  I picked one up this weekend, but I hear tell they are few and far between. I got mine in southern Alabama, and when I walked in the door they were on the phone with a Miami dealership who wanted to dealer trade it.  So I know there isn't any more from Miami to at least Atlanta.   
Woot. woot.

Offline Shaky6

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Also from the little bit that I learned while I was there, dealerships do Honda orders every month.  I assume that means other brands don't take orders that frequently.  Additionally, a lot of dealers don't see this model as a big seller so they are very reluctant to order it.  The salesman told me I was the first one to come in and look at it in over a week since he put it in the showroom.  He must have told me a half dozen times that "this bike takes a special kind of person to really want it."  Ok, sure, whatever.  I personally think its because most dealerships are old dinosaurs stuck in the past and do a horrible job of promoting these ADV bikes.  I mean, I go in there and I see a line of street rockets, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers.  This is an area of a lot of dirt roads, old pavement, and where most people have to do a little commute to get to work.  The local market doesn't really seem to meet the needs of the world around them. 
Woot. woot.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by bobwombat [+]
Jenny, many thx for the good info.  I've followed the CBX for awhile now & researching particulars for at least a couple months.  But, I never imagined 1/2 thru 2019 the bikes would just now be coming out.  Usually, the 2020's would be coming out in August or September.  So, my fault.

With any luck, my dealer will order for me, I'll pay MSRP, tax & registration but my dealer does not add on any dealer fees.  I think that may be the best I can do early in the model run.  Thoughts?

Again, thx a ton for the update & shame on me being ill informed.  Cheers from sunny hot Arizona, USA

Hi Bob - generally speaking, the Japanese brands only release their 'year' models at the beginning of the actual year (in stark contrast to KTM for example, who seem to launch their 'next year' models in the May of the previous year!), and it would appear for the US market at least, they consider the 2019 CB500X as a summer rather than spring release.

With regard to price, I think what you're proposing is realistic on a brand new [to the market] bike - SRP plus the sales tax and registration fees. I can't see them offering anything off the SRP at this stage.

I have to agree that the $700+ some dealers ask for delivery and set-up fee is a bit of bullsh#t on a sub $7000 bike. I've told my local dealer pretty much the same - I'm willing to pay the SRP, plus all the legal fees/taxes to get it on the road - but I know how little has to be done to that bike at a PDI anyway (connect the battery and check the axle nuts are tight - last time I bought one they hadn't even bothered to check the tyre pressures!), and it's not as if it's being delivered to the dealer as a special-order/one-off either (it's typically already on a truck with a dozen other orders too)...

note. Sorry for the rant - but currently I'm rather frustrated that currently the price out-the-door in California is actually more than it costs to buy a brand new 2019 model in the UK, and that has never been the case in all the years I've bought similar bikes on either side of the pond.

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shaky6 [+]
Also from the little bit that I learned while I was there, dealerships do Honda orders every month.  I assume that means other brands don't take orders that frequently.  Additionally, a lot of dealers don't see this model as a big seller so they are very reluctant to order it. The salesman told me I was the first one to come in and look at it in over a week since he put it in the showroom.  He must have told me a half dozen times that "this bike takes a special kind of person to really want it."  Ok, sure, whatever.  I personally think its because most dealerships are old dinosaurs stuck in the past and do a horrible job of promoting these ADV bikes.  I mean, I go in there and I see a line of street rockets, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers.  This is an area of a lot of dirt roads, old pavement, and where most people have to do a little commute to get to work.  The local market doesn't really seem to meet the needs of the world around them.

I'd agree with you Shaky6 - certainly up until the 2019 revisions, a lot of dealers didn't consider the CB all that important in the range (other than the CBR500R derivative perhaps, which I have to say looks like a pukka sports bike these days in 2019 form), and not a 'real' adventure bike due to the modest stock specification.

I've found a number of dealers can't be bothered to even read the dealer press releases never mind pay any attention to the mainstream press (for example one dealer I spoke to recently said, oh yes, that now has a 21" front wheel now doesn't it?) - but I think that once this bike starts hitting the US press on their own soil - something I intend to address myself during the summer - then the demand at dealerships is likely to shake them up a bit into actually ordering in for the showroom floor.

With the revised standard specification, it really is a bonafide contender as an 'off the shelf' affordable adventure mount now, and an excellent platform to accessorise/modify into something really special if that is your want.

Jenny x

Offline Shaky6

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
I hear what you're saying.  I spoke to a salesman with Hall's Motorsports (a corporate with several dealerships throughout the Southeast US) and he asked "why specifically do you want a '19 instead of the '18?" I replied "because they gave it a 19" front wheel and re-tuned the motor."  "Well I'll check the stock in our warehouse and see if we have one anywhere.  I'll call you back."  I didn't get a call back.  God help them when the Tenere 700 comes out here in the US, "But but but.....cruiser.....crotch rocket.....dirt bike....SYNTAX ERROR"   
Woot. woot.

Recent Topics