Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A week in Wales.  (Read 247 times)

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
A week in Wales.
« on: July 03, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »
A few pics from my first trip on a motorbike - went to Wales for a week, it was great!

Menai bridge, Anglesey:

Coming into the Snowdonia national park:

Bike fell off its side stand into the crash barrier on the first take off that pic...tried to pull it off, seemed wedged...for a minute, I thought I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal 😂 fortunately I slid myself between the bike and the barrier and pushed it off! Barkbusters and soft luggage did a great job of protecting the bike.

By the sea in Anglesey:

South Stack (Holy Island)lighthouse:

Did the Mick Extance off road day on the last day - probably the most fun I've had on two wheels so far. Started out on the 125, which was hilarious as you could take massive liberties and just chuck it around into anything. Not much of a challenge though, so they swapped me to a KTM freeride 250, which I immediately dropped down a tricky gradient 😆. Once I got used to the bike, it was great fun exploring what it could do and a proper challenge for me, as I could only flat foot one leg... So I dropped I one or two (or six) times.

They have a bunch of different courses for you to do throughout the day and they get harder, as the day progresses. Every time you move onto the next course, you start out thinking how the hell am I going to be able to do that... but then Mick and his team are great teachers (nice mixture of enthusiasm and support, with obligatory pisstakes when you do stupid) so you put in the practice and eventually get the satisfaction of doing it right!

Also managed to hike Mount Snowdon, which had some wonderful views from the Rangers path on the way up, but the summit was covered by cloud.

All in all, a top week. Only a few silly little self inflicted issues with the bike, all of which got sorted one way or another.

Thinking of a trip to Ireland next year, maybe coming back via the IOM!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:32:12 AM by Marv_ »

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: A week in Wales.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
Sounds like a great ride, thanks for sharing! I was debating whether to go to Wales or Scotland in a few weeks, but given the midges on the West coast and the extra distance I think your photos have sealed the deal for Wales!

Looks like a really slick setup with the luggage as well. Did the Kriega (?) bag on the left attached to the GL Coyote not get too hot? It seems to rest on the tip of the exhaust...

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
It's hard to beat Wales when the weather is kind. A really good plan for those who can, keep looking at the weather and if a window opens up just go for it. Loads of nice tarmac single track roads with views to die for.

But welsh rain is something else, it has added wetting agents to ensure it clings to the hills, the valleys, the roads and the people. In that kind of weather leave the X at home and use your submarine.

For a change I've just done a few days in Scotland, that means two days of motorways for me, but once past Glasgow it's similar to Wales. The X was just perfect for the job, plenty fast enough, comfortable, frugal.
Brian.

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
Sounds like a great ride, thanks for sharing! I was debating whether to go to Wales or Scotland in a few weeks, but given the midges on the West coast and the extra distance I think your photos have sealed the deal for Wales!

Looks like a really slick setup with the luggage as well. Did the Kriega (?) bag on the left attached to the GL Coyote not get too hot? It seems to rest on the tip of the exhaust...

Hi Martin, the Kriega OS pack was about an inch away from the exhaust, I did feel how 'hot' material was getting several times - it was barely any warmer than the other side - even on Saturday when it was ~32c! (It's a GL Great Basin, for reference!) 

I'm looking to see if I can move the Kriega packs towards the front of the bike, to cut down the weight on the back. Just need to figure out how to attach it.

You really can't go wrong with either Scotland or Wales, both have wonderful scenery, roads and people!

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  It looks like an amazing trip!

Online drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Beautiful pictures! The Mick Extance day sounds like it'd be great fun and a nice break from saddle time.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage