Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers  (Read 448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:31:09 PM »
Hi,

Im looking at getting a Giant Loop Coyote and I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing it with more conventional soft luggage panniers. I cant quite predict how the weight distribution would be - it feels like the Coyote would have the weight higher up than, lets say, Kriega OS panniers on a rack. Since Ill always ride solo I would prefer to have the weight low down and keep the bike as stable as possible.

Thanks for any feedback anyone would have!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:41:25 PM by Martin »

Offline JMo

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1261
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
Hi,

Im looking at getting a Giant Loop Coyote and I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing it with more conventional soft luggage panniers. I cant quite predict how the weight distribution would be - it feels like the Coyote would have the weight higher up than, lets say, Kriega OS panniers on a rack. Since Ill always ride solo I would prefer to have the weight low down and keep the bike as stable as possible.

Thanks for any feedback anyone would have!

Hi Martin - as you are probably aware, I've done a lot of travelling on my CB with a Coyote, and honestly, you don't notice the weight at all...

If you consider that the majority of the weight in your luggage is hanging over the sides of the seat anyway (basically where a pillion's thighs would be), then the amount of volume on the seat area itself is pretty small in comparison.

Also keep in mind that the Coyote was designed to be used on lighter-weight dual-sport bikes originally - and those riders are typically looking for maximum [off-road] performance and therefore minimum upset to their bike's original balance.

They work well, and as long as you're disciplined with what you carry (my complete luggage including camp weighs under 30lbs for example), then the 39litres the Coyote provides means it's never going to be that heavy anyway.


photo. note this is the earlier zip-up version, the latest roll-top version means you can cinch down the top section even further if you're not carrying as much volume.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. Also be aware that racks themselves weigh a significant amount (at least strong ones do), so although your separate panniers might be a touch lower the sides of the Coyote, there is the overall extra weight of the frame and any mounting hardware/additional straps etc. to consider... That said, both the Giant Loop Siskiyou and the Kriega OS system (with their harness) panniers can be mounted without racks to some bikes - although ideally lower-slung separate soft panniers work much better with some kind of frame/rack behind them to support their weight and keep their shape. Conversely the whole point of the one-bag system is that it is self-supporting, and eliminates the need for any racks in the first place of course.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:52:13 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Martin

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 07:18:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi Martin - as you are probably aware, I've done a lot of travelling on my CB with a Coyote, and honestly, you don't notice the weight at all...

...

Thanks Jenny, I am indeed aware of this and was hoping youd be able to give an opinion. The Coyote will probably suffice for my usage - a couple of days camping at the time. It keeps things nice and simple! :-)

Offline Marv_

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
I agree with Jenny.

Even with the larger Great Basin, with a couple of 12 litre Kriega OS attached, I couldn't really tell there was any extra weight (about 20kg) on the back of my CB500. Maybe Valentino Rossi could! (Will be bringing fewer things with me next time, so there should be less weight high up)


Offline Twempie

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »
I like to have my tent and tarp/groundsheet separate from the rest of my luggage, helps to keep everything dry. I needed extra space at the back of the bike to accommodate the drybag that holds the tent, so I installed an OEM rack (and removed the redundant side grab handles - I didn't like the fit of the Coyote over the original grab handles). The OEM rack (advertised for a 2015 but fits my 2018) has nice hooks and handles that I found work well with the Coyote.

I'm off for five nights camping this week using this setup. I also recently added a GL Possibles drybag strapped to the outside, not in the photo, that contains some small "need when I arrive, don't want to fart around things" like a headlamp, first aid, etc. I find it handy if it's raining when setting up to have the tent and grab-bag separated, and not having to dig around down the legs of the Coyote.

The only downside and upside of this setup is that you have to pack light. And that's the point. YMMV.








Offline Martin

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:10:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
I like to have my tent and tarp/groundsheet separate from the rest of my luggage, helps to keep everything dry. I needed extra space at the back of the bike to accommodate the drybag that holds the tent, so I installed an OEM rack (and removed the redundant side grab handles - I didn't like the fit of the Coyote over the original grab handles). The OEM rack (advertised for a 2015 but fits my 2018) has nice hooks and handles that I found work well with the Coyote.

I'm off for five nights camping this week using this setup. I also recently added a GL Possibles drybag strapped to the outside, not in the photo, that contains some small "need when I arrive, don't want to fart around things" like a headlamp, first aid, etc. I find it handy if it's raining when setting up to have the tent and grab-bag separated, and not having to dig around down the legs of the Coyote.

The only downside and upside of this setup is that you have to pack light. And that's the point. YMMV.

Thanks - that looks like a sensible setup. Good idea of keeping tent & tarp separate. Do you think they would fit on the other side, i.e. in front/on top of the Coyote? Or would they get in the way of the seat? That way you could possibly get away without a rear rack.

Offline Twempie

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
Re: GL Coyote weight distribution vs panniers
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
Thanks - that looks like a sensible setup. Good idea of keeping tent & tarp separate. Do you think they would fit on the other side, i.e. in front/on top of the Coyote? Or would they get in the way of the seat? That way you could possibly get away without a rear rack.
Anything is possible. The thing I like best about my current setup is the tent and tarp is held on with only two Rokstraps and easy to remove with minimal disruption; and there is ample room in front of the bag when wearing a backpack. The tent is a lightweight backpacking two- or three-person. YMMV.

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage