Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pictures of your wires  (Read 700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Celeste1178

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Country: us
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Pictures of your wires
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:31:49 AM »
So I've done a few electrical things and now the space under my seat looks like a plate of spaghetti.... it's driving me bonkers.  Would any of you awesome people be willing to take a picture of how you have your electrical system organized? Im pretty much willing to redo it all to give it some order :)

Offline CB-500-X

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2024
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:05:22 AM »
what all have done/added?

Offline Celeste1178

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Country: us
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
what all have done/added?

Aux lights
USB
GPS
Pc-8 Fuse panel from eastern beaver
Utility power connector

Im going to add a heated gear connection at some point


Offline hilldweller

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1634
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Celeste1178 [+]
the space under my seat looks like a plate of spaghetti....

That describes mine perfectly.

The solution is simple, put the seat on.
Brian.

Offline CB-500-X

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2024
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
 :745: @ Brian

Celeste Ill take a few pics for you today  :142:

Online rambrose

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Hi, can you re-terminate the ends to remove the excess?
I try to sleeve new wires. Either with heat shrink or snake skin



With snake skin you need to have it longer than your wires so that you can fold the sleeve back over itself making the ends neater. A 3 or 4" excess is good.
Use a light coloured heat shrink and a thin tipped permanent marker to identify your wires (ie "GPS +12v" for the supply to the sat nav)



Try and run your new cables along existing wiring and use zip ties to keep it in place.



I use these weather seal connectors but solder rather than crimp as my crimpers tend to bend the terminal in such a way as it won't lock into place.

Under the seat (not a lot to see)



Have you trimmed away the excess plastic? quite a few have used a Dremmel or hacksaw to give more useable space under the seat.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1127
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Celeste1178 [+]
So I've done a few electrical things and now the space under my seat looks like a plate of spaghetti.... it's driving me bonkers.  Would any of you awesome people be willing to take a picture of how you have your electrical system organized? Im pretty much willing to redo it all to give it some order :)

probably useful to take a pic of what you have fitted and where....


I usually fit stuff loosely to check that everything works and then start to chip the cabling from the accessory back towards the battery. It helps to leave a certain amount of free cable as you may want to remove/relocate for checking/rewiring in the future.

There's plenty of space under the seat for relays, distribution boxes etc and you can use the existing loom to clip new cabling to...

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1127
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 06:28:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by rambrose [+]
Hi, can you re-terminate the ends to remove the excess?
I try to sleeve new wires. Either with heat shrink or snake skin



With snake skin you need to have it longer than your wires so that you can fold the sleeve back over itself making the ends neater. A 3 or 4" excess is good.
Use a light coloured heat shrink and a thin tipped permanent marker to identify your wires (ie "GPS +12v" for the supply to the sat nav)



Try and run your new cables along existing wiring and use zip ties to keep it in place.



I use these weather seal connectors but solder rather than crimp as my crimpers tend to bend the terminal in such a way as it won't lock into place.

Under the seat (not a lot to see)



Have you trimmed away the excess plastic? quite a few have used a Dremmel or hacksaw to give more useable space under the seat.


here's a tip that will transform your cable sheathing world....heat up a razor blade (held with mole grips) using a blow torch...marvel as your hot blade slices effortlessly through pvc trunking, snake skin, rubber hose, plastic tubing etc..... :001:

try it...you'll never go back :152:

Offline Celeste1178

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Country: us
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
That describes mine perfectly.

The solution is simple, put the seat on.

Glad im not alone :)

Offline Celeste1178

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Country: us
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Re: Pictures of your wires
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by rambrose [+]
Hi, can you re-terminate the ends to remove the excess?

With snake skin you need to have it longer than your wires so that you can fold the sleeve back over itself making the ends neater. A 3 or 4" excess is good.
Use a light coloured heat shrink and a thin tipped permanent marker to identify your wires (ie "GPS +12v" for the supply to the sat

Try and run your new cables along existing wiring and use zip ties to keep it in place.

I use these weather seal connectors but solder rather than crimp as my crimpers tend to bend the terminal in such a way as it won't lock into place.

Under the seat (not a lot to see)

Have you trimmed away the excess plastic? quite a few have used a Dremmel or hacksaw to give more useable space under the seat.

Thank you very much!
Yes I plan to remove excess but I wanted to make sure I had a final picture in my head before hand
Never heard of snake skin... I'll have to check it out
Great idea on the labeling.... one of my complaints is I have to trace every wire every time I look
I plan to trim the excess plastic for sure, just haven't done it yet.... why is it even made like that anyways?

Thanks again for the pictures and advice!!

 


Recent Topics