Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound  (Read 1400 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:30:06 PM »
I'm in Warren, PA on my way to CO, and when I stopped this evening I noticed a growl or vibration when I rev the engine.  It seems to be coming from the area of the dash. I tried uploading a WAV file, but I wasn't able to.  I'm going to try sharing it through dropbox.  I'm trying to determine how serious this might be.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jkby8kqmkpm1xp2/AAAAgU7iwzS1NW850zLT8jkqa?dl=0

Offline harryhendo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:57:09 AM »
Have you removed any body panels recently? It sounds like one of the panel's prongs may not be firmly seated into its respective plug.

Also, if you did a recent oil change, check the engine guard under the engine, which at least I had to remove to get a good purchase on the oil filter.

Also check the windshield bolts for tightness (3 lbs. torque setting... a bit tight but not too tight).
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Online ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:25:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
Have you removed any body panels recently? It sounds like one of the panel's prongs may not be firmly seated into its respective plug.

Also, if you did a recent oil change, check the engine guard under the engine, which at least I had to remove to get a good purchase on the oil filter.

Also check the windshield bolts for tightness (3 lbs. torque setting... a bit tight but not too tight).

Thanks, Harry. I have removed the panels, so I'll check those again.  I tried to stop the sound by holding onto various pieces fairings and the windshield, but nothing seemed to work. I don't have an engine guard.  I'll try again when it is light out.

Offline hilldweller

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1631
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I noticed a grow

There's a tiger in your tank.


Am I the only one old enough to remember that advert ?
Brian.

Online ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
I remember it! Except it is not in my tank :(

Offline hilldweller

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1631
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I'll try again when it is light out.

I've just remembered a really odd vibration I had, I eventually traced it to a satnav charger connector when the satnav was removed. The pronged charge plug was a plastic clip in unit and it was loose enough to make noise at some revs, amplified by the plastic frame.

During the same exercise I found a missing rubber grommet for a side panel, I must have pushed it through when refitting. Now I've put silicon grease on them all to prevent this.
Brian.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I've just remembered a really odd vibration I had, I eventually traced it to a satnav charger connector when the satnav was removed. The pronged charge plug was a plastic clip in unit and it was loose enough to make noise at some revs, amplified by the plastic frame.

During the same exercise I found a missing rubber grommet for a side panel, I must have pushed it through when refitting. Now I've put silicon grease on them all to prevent this.

Are those are the grommets you find on the garage floor after you've reinstalled your side panels? :008:

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I'm in Warren, PA on my way to CO, and when I stopped this evening I noticed a growl or vibration when I rev the engine.  It seems to be coming from the area of the dash. I tried uploading a WAV file, but I wasn't able to.  I'm going to try sharing it through dropbox.  I'm trying to determine how serious this might be.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jkby8kqmkpm1xp2/AAAAgU7iwzS1NW850zLT8jkqa?dl=0

It sounds like angry ants to me....ask Bern-Grt :745:



seriously though, it sounds like a clip is out somewhere, or a screw is missing from the radiator cowling etc. Sorry I can't be more specific

Offline hilldweller

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1631
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Are those are the grommets you find on the garage floor after you've reinstalled your side panels? :008:

That's the one.
Brian.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
That's the one.

I've now glued mine in with a tiny blob of superglue....sick of seeing them rolling somewhere hard to reach :191:

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage