Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound  (Read 1399 times)

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: On the road and hearing a disturbing sound
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 06:39:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
One of my favorite tools is an automotive stethoscope. It has helped me diagnose rattles in my family's old Volvos for years. It really helps pinpoint the source.

I've made it to Breckenridge, CO just fine, and I had my brother listen while I rev'd the engine, and vice versa, and I do think it is likely a panel, but none of the obvious ones.  It also sounds lower once I got a chance to move around and listen to it.  I think a stethoscope--maybe a piece of rubber hose--would help pinpoint it. 

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »
If you don't have engine bars you can take the whole front cowling off in one piece in 6 minutes. It's super easy. Will give you a much better look at what's what.

Good luck.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
If you don't have engine bars you can take the whole front cowling off in one piece in 6 minutes. It's super easy. Will give you a much better look at what's what.

Good luck.

I think that is what I need to do. I seem to recall reading that there are some rally raid instructions to do that, or am I confusing things?

BTW, the sport x-creen spoiler added to the stock screen has been perfect for my 5' 9" self. Thanks
For doing all that research. I've done a few hundred miles at 65 mph on RT 36, and that setup has easily been as good as my VFR.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 02:03:14 AM »
Check out Juan Brownes steering head bearing video on YouTube. He goes through the steps for taking the fairing off too. It's 1,2,3.

Glad to have helped.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:04:10 AM by ThirtyOne »

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 04:45:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Check out Juan Brownes steering head bearing video on YouTube. He goes through the steps for taking the fairing off too. It's 1,2,3.

Glad to have helped.

Thanks.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
Found the culprit!  After removing the side panels and some of the front ones with no success, I stopped by the shop where I bought the bike, and the service manager took a look with me.  At first, he also thought it was coming from the instrument panel, but on closer examination, it turned out to be the Denali lights.  I had tested the light bar I was using, but it did not occur to me that the lights were also vibrating just enough to make the noise.  It took all of two minutes to tighten them up, and now I am once again undisturbed!!  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
Glad you found it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:28:08 PM by ncroadtoad »
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Found the culprit!  After removing the side panels and some of the front ones with no success, I stopped by the shop where I bought the bike, and the service manager took a look with me.  At first, he also thought it was coming from the instrument panel, but on closer examination, it turned out to be the Denali lights.  I had tested the light bar I was using, but it did not occur to me that the lights were also vibrating just enough to make the noise.  It took all of two minutes to tighten them up, and now I am once again undisturbed!!  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Was it not noticeable as you were riding at night with the lights on?

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Was it not noticeable as you were riding at night with the lights on?

I think it would have been, but I try to avoid riding at night, especially in deer country, and I saw a lot of deer even during the day time. I checked the light bar, but it was tight. What I should have noticed was the change in the sound when I put my hand on the bar. The sound didn't disappear, but it did change a bit. Of course my hearing isn't great, either.

Recent Topics