Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Led spot lights and charging ports  (Read 319 times)

Offline Srajsu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Siggiewi
Led spot lights and charging ports
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of installing 2 spotlights and a charging Dock for GPS and phone however it is important that switching off the bike will cut all power even if their switch is still turned on. I have a '14 x and would like your opinion about the best way to install these since I was thinking about adding a relay to the headlamp feed to wire up both.

Regards
Steven

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Led spot lights and charging ports
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
Or from the options plug under the seat.   Whatever is easier for you.    I just wanted a short run form the Battery to the Relay, plus I wanted the Relay to switch my Garmin and Dash Cam.   I installed a third Fuse Box under the seat to handle the additional accessories.

But I see the logic of running a fused lead from the Battery to a Relay in the front cowling, you then just need short runs going to each of the switched devices.   The use inline Fuses, or mount a Fuse Box next to the Relay.

Actually, now thinking this through, it is a lot easier to get to In-Line Fuses or a Fuse Box under the seat.   So you may want to think about this.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
Or from the options plug under the seat.   Whatever is easier for you.    I just wanted a short run form the Battery to the Relay, plus I wanted the Relay to switch my Garmin and Dash Cam.   I installed a third Fuse Box under the seat to handle the additional accessories.

But I see the logic of running a fused lead from the Battery to a Relay in the front cowling, you then just need short runs going to each of the switched devices.   The use inline Fuses, or mount a Fuse Box next to the Relay.

Actually, now thinking this through, it is a lot easier to get to In-Line Fuses or a Fuse Box under the seat.   So you may want to think about this.

you still end up with a long(ish) unprotected live to the front end.

Short fused live from the batt to pwr for the relay (or relay distribution box) under the seat....protects everything north of the relay and the relay itself...

I used a live feed from the OP plug (which is also fused) as the sw (trigger) for the relay distribution box...only comes on with ign on. powers aux lights, dual USB charger (mounted centrally just below the handlebar clamp, for 'phone. sat nav etc.)

Also fitted a short fused 16A DIN socket on the rhs rear trim panel (the silver bit below the grab rail) so I can power stuff whilst it's in a pannier

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Srajsu [+]
I was thinking about adding a relay to the headlamp feed to wire up both.

Regards
Steven

I've done similar but used the rear light feed because it seemed easy to get to.
Brian.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage