Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Down!  (Read 1554 times)

Offline notlob

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Southport
Bike Down!
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »
Came off the bike today at very low speed on a roundabout, suspecting there had been a spill of something as those who saw the accident and stopped said I'd done nothing wrong and the back end just slipped away.

However! I now have bent bars, bent brake lever, snapped off footpeg and a scrapes on the fairing and exhaust and a sore arm!. Tempted to try to sort the first three myself and just leave the fairing and exhaust.

How much of a job is the bars and lever? Any recommendations? Seem to have read that renthals are OK for bars?

Finally, the bike is a late 2016 model, am i right to assume that parts labelled at 2013-15 will fit, or were there changes.

Thanks in advance of any comments

Cheers
Dave

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
Re: Bike Down!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:31:51 PM »
No advice from me, sorry.  But I wanted to say that sucks and I'm sorry but glad it wasn't worse.  Hope you and your bike mend quickly!

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
I think id get OEM bars as they're ready drilled for the pin on the throttle that stops it rotating, you can price stuff on Fowlers site the have parts fiche on there, I have some bar weights if you need them?
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:37:15 PM »
Glad you weren't injured worse.
Bars and levers are dead easy. Renthal KLX110 bars fit and are stronger than stock. It's easy it drill the switch mount locator hole and mount them. You'll want new grips when you replace the bars. Levers are easy and RR can supply good ones, footpegs too. I wouldn't worry about scrapes that don't affect function, bikes are meant to be used not shown.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:50:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by notlob [+]
Came off the bike today at very low speed on a roundabout, suspecting there had been a spill of something as those who saw the accident and stopped said I'd done nothing wrong and the back end just slipped away.

However! I now have bent bars, bent brake lever, snapped off footpeg and a scrapes on the fairing and exhaust and a sore arm!. Tempted to try to sort the first three myself and just leave the fairing and exhaust.

How much of a job is the bars and lever? Any recommendations? Seem to have read that renthals are OK for bars?

Finally, the bike is a late 2016 model, am i right to assume that parts labelled at 2013-15 will fit, or were there changes.

Thanks in advance of any comments

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave - sorry to hear it, but at least it doesn't sound too bad.

For info. all 2013-18 model year handlebars will fit - and as drjack suggests, the ProTaper KLX110 SE (7/8ths) bars will make a good/stronger replacement too.

2016-on bikes had an adjustable front brake lever, the 2013-15 bikes its the same dimension lever, just not adjustable.

Foot-pegs are the same all years, and if you have a 2016 bike rather than a 2017-on, then the footrest hangers (if that is the part that snapped) are the same 2013-16, with the smaller/less slabby version on the 2017-18 and current 19 model bikes.

You could noodle on eBay too, as 2013-15 CB500F and CBR500R used the same foot-pegs and hangers and also brake lever, just the handlebars would be different of course.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 02:07:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that Dave, glad it wasn't worse. 

As to replacing the handlebars, it just so happens that I replaced mine two days ago. As a part of my Level 2 build, I replaced the stock bars on my 2013 with Fat Bars from Rally Raid. I used the RR triple tree, so you may have to order a different model, but the installation went pretty smooth. The most difficult thing on the install was drilling the new bars for the switch pods on each side. 

Since yours are bent, it might be a little more difficult to compare the old with the new in order to get positioning of the holes correct. That hole position is critical since your switch pods will be "locked in place after install. The good news is that they are just the switch pods, not the levers so if you are off a bit on your angle, it probably won't matter a whole lot. Just MAKE SURE you have the hole drilled far enough down the bar. Otherwise your levers and grips might not go on far enough. The actual drilling (coming off my recent ignition barrel drilling experience) wasn't to bad.

Levers - no problem, they just bolt up. Your throttle side will slide off with the grip, but you will probably have to destroy the clutch side in order to remove it. Personally, I'd cut them both off before I started to remove them and just replace them. You probably won't have to even disconnect any cables.

If you have a shop manual, it lays out the procedure pretty clearly.

Good luck
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 02:19:29 AM »
Glad to read you are largely all right.

Offline Sweeper

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Hartselle,AL
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 03:14:21 AM »
The tank was changed in 16 along with the side plastics. Before you go the used route, check new prices. I found new parts were cheaper than any I could find on-line. I paid under $50 for the main side panel with the decals in place ready to fit. Good luck with your recovery and your bikes.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »
Sorry about the off....hope you're arm's better soon. We've had a load of dry weather followed by heavy showers then dry weather again...my old despatch-rider mate says that this tends to put a film of dust over diesel, oil etc. Who am I to argue with him? he's done gazillions of miles on UK roads all year round...

it's always worth checking/realigning the front end after a fall...watch Dellboy's vid

get it done at a shop if you don't feel happy to do it yourself, but it's a twenty minute job if you have the tools

I'd go stock bars if you were happy with the profile/position....

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:14:34 PM by Jonathan »

Offline notlob

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Southport
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:07 PM »
Thanks all for your wishes and suggestions. I was taking extra care yesterday as it was the first rain for a good few days so appreciated it would be slippy, but thought it was more than that so I reported the matter to the Local Authority. Understand they went out, found traces of oil and sanded but I've got no chance of taking that forward as a claim.

Have managed to get silencer and footpegs off ebay and looking at Fowlers site the bars are 149 on back order and adjustable lever about 52. Think I'll give the side panel at 250+ a miss though!

Don't particularly want to cut grips off as they are the heated ones, but is that something I'll have to do?.

Still think it will be better shelling out for the bits and repairing rather than going through insurance!

Cheers
Dave

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage