Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Down!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
Re: Bike Down!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »
You should be able to get the heated grips off. An air compressor will make it much easier. Move the switch controls, blow air in the inboard end between grip and bar, work it all the way around and you should be able to get the grip off. If you can clean any old adhesive off the inside of the grips they'll be easier to install and more secure on the new bars.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline vanderbale

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »
Unlucky Dave. For side panels 2016/17/18 should fit  a 2016 bike, avoid 2019 and anything 2015 and before. I do see them pop up on ebay for around 40.

Were you riding the stock dunlop tires? I only ask I had the rear spin out on me a couple times, I have since upgraded to stickier road tires.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 03:53:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by vanderbale [+]
Unlucky Dave. For side panels 2016/17/18 should fit  a 2016 bike, avoid 2019 and anything 2015 and before. I do see them pop up on ebay for around 40.

Were you riding the stock dunlop tires? I only ask I had the rear spin out on me a couple times, I have since upgraded to stickier road tires.

That is not quite correct Vanderbale - all the upper fairing panels are interchangeable from 2013-18, as as the one-piece lower side panels you got on the 2013-15 bikes, and the two-piece (with the coloured insert) in the 2016-18 bikes. The profile is exactly the same.

It is only the headlight surround and beak which are a different shape on the 2016-on bikes, but they mate in the same way with the earlier upper fairing panels.

note. You could, if you really wanted, also change the headlight, beak and headlight support frame from a 2016-on bike onto an earlier model too - but that is likely to be uneconomic of course.

Essentially, if you've damaged the upper fairing panels (and radiator covers), then any year between 2013-18 will fit - you'll just have to be aware of the colour differences.

The 2019 bikes are, as you say, different.

Jenny x

ps. The fuel tanks swap too, although the 2016-on had a different [flip up] fuel filler, so you have to factor that in with regard to the locks if you have an earlier bike with a removable cap.

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline vanderbale

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
That is not quite correct Vanderbale - all the upper fairing panels are interchangeable from 2013-18, as as the one-piece lower side panels you got on the 2013-15 bikes, and the two-piece (with the coloured insert) in the 2016-18 bikes. The profile is exactly the same.

It is only the headlight surround and beak which are a different shape on the 2016-on bikes, but they mate in the same way with the earlier upper fairing panels.

note. You could, if you really wanted, also change the headlight, beak and headlight support frame from a 2016-on bike onto an earlier model too - but that is likely to be uneconomic of course.

Essentially, if you've damaged the upper fairing panels (and radiator covers), then any year between 2013-18 will fit - you'll just have to be aware of the colour differences.

The 2019 bikes are, as you say, different.

Jenny x

ps. The fuel tanks swap too, although the 2016-on had a different [flip up] fuel filler, so you have to factor that in with regard to the locks if you have an earlier bike with a removable cap.

Sorry, thanks Jenny this opens up a lot of choices, I've been considering getting a different colour set incase I get bored of the sand.

Offline notlob

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Southport
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by vanderbale [+]

Yep, still on the stock tyres. Had read people had issues with them, but I'd been fine till last week. Will now look to upgrade. Road Smarts seem popluar?

Dave

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »
I like the Dunlop Roadsmart tire I put on as a front tire. Good grip in tight turns, good wet weather grip. It's dual compound, so a long wear compound in the middle, stickier compound on the sides. I also like the tire's price, which seems like a great value. I've only put about 1000 miles on it so far, so can't attest to longevity yet.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
Just to put in my own pennyworth of choice - never did like the scorpion trails OE - have always used Bridgestone 023s in the past on all sorts of bikes never had an issue - Now have just fitted Bridgestone T31s what a difference brilliant - these are a sport touring tyre not off road I dont do that stuff - recommended  :001:

Offline vanderbale

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by notlob [+]
Yep, still on the stock tyres. Had read people had issues with them, but I'd been fine till last week. Will now look to upgrade. Road Smarts seem popluar?

Dave

I've heard good thing about Road Smarts, Perelli Angel GT and Bridgestone T31.  I only went with Michelin Road 5 since the dealer had them in stock (had MOT next day) and they've been decent so far only about 400~ miles in.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage