Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sold my bike. And now?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 stock CB500X
  • City / Town: Lea da Palmeira
Sold my bike. And now?
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:45:45 PM »
Hi folks
Today i sold my 18x, 3400km on the clock.

Bought it february last year new and it was my first bike. Previously just a small scooter for in town displacemets. Then, I was aiming a second hand, but didn't found any reasonably priced, so went for a new one without any ride, but I had no references, so it didn't make any difference.

After some experiments, reported here, to adapt it to my (over)size couldn't feel confortable standing up. Tried bar raisers, 35mm first then 50mm, pivot pegs. Riding on well paved surfaces was ok, although my legs are too much cramped.

In this scenario I gave up the idea of rallyraid it, as I had the intention to,gradually, go off road. Spending a full bucket of money and beeing unconfortable with it was a no-sense. So sold it.

Now I am looking for a new horse, but this time will want to ride first.

I will stay in this f(u)ntastic forum for a while and will report my evolution. Meanwhile suggestions are welcome.

My boundaries are a good ergonomy for a high seating position and standing up, so adventure type. Not overpowered, as light as possible, reliable and good looking 😉. No need for big tank.

My options on the list are:
-Africa Twin. Ergonomy perfect, weight on top limit, engine too big(?)
-BMW F800gs. Ergonomy good, better looking, on pole position.
-Tenere 700. Just on paper. Lighter,great engine, may be too biased off road, and unknown ergonomics. Not yet available at dealers.

Lets vote please.😂

Offline halli

• CB500X Newbie
  • Biking in Iceland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha Xt660R
  • City / Town: Kopavog, Iceland
Re: Sold my bike. And now?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
The BMW Gs 800 is your future pal if you are willing to spend the money. You will never go back :-)
Be in touch if you travel to Iceland.

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:51:57 PM »
Yamaha T7 much cheaper to maintain and more capable

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
-BMW F800gs. Ergonomy good, better looking, on pole position.

Why the F800GS ? The newer 850 is much better ?   :002:

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 stock CB500X
  • City / Town: Lea da Palmeira
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
F800 because I am looking for a second hand bike. F850 would brake my budget. Can't justify so much money for short rides around.

Tenere is tempting, and 10000 for a new one is not obscene. Will try to have a ride somewhere.

I am thinking sourcing one used bike in UK. Competitive prices, several on offer and its a good excuse to ride back home, taking a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, then "picos da Europa" mountains on the way.
Does someone know if I, as a foreign citizen buy a bike there, can ride it just for coming back?
If the seller declares a permanent export to dvla, then the number plate will be cancelled, Isn't it? If he just declares a new owner I don't get the full logbook, and i don't know if Dvla sends new logbook abroad.

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:52 AM »
Try some KTMs for size. They generally have a fairly high stand over height. They come in everything from a  350cc (my favorite) to about as big as anyone needs.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »
If you like the 'adventure bike' style and need a bigger bike, test ride the Kawasaki Versys and the Suzuki VStrom. People rave about those bikes. The VStrom's engine is very impressive. They are inexpensive (vs. a BMW or Triumph) and, at least here in the US, there are always listings for used bikes with very low mileage, barely touched.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »
Have you considered the '19 500X?

Slightly taller, better suspension components, larger front wheel?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
If the seller declares a permanent export to dvla, then the number plate will be cancelled, Isn't it? If he just declares a new owner I don't get the full logbook, and i don't know if Dvla sends new logbook abroad.

Official guidence from the DVLA says:

If you bought a vehicle in the UK but do not have a UK address

You need to:

• take the full vehicle log book (V5C) from the seller (not just the new keeper slip)
  • send the permanent export section to DVLA
  • find out how to register the vehicle in the country youre taking it to

Online japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
I have always wanted an F700 GS but when the 2019 X was announced I went for that instead. Id always wanted to do the RR 19 wheel conversion but didnt want the seat height. So Ive got a nice new 2019 X and the kit is on the way.

A few days ago I got the chance to have a good go on my sisters F800 GS and really liked it. The handling was a bit strange but that could have been down to the lowered suspension and the low seat option was very uncomfortable. But the engine is great and the extra power very nice. Its also much more adventure oriented than the X.

So Id definitely consider the 700 or 800 GS. I sat on the new 750 and 850 GSs and wasnt keen, way too big and didnt feel as well made as the older ones.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage