Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A New Project  (Read 1486 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: A New Project
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 06:04:06 AM »
Nice to see that EB based harness. I just installed a PC8 last night for my aux lights, GPS cradle and powered USB ports. You're right, there isn't much room to work with. I did trim back a lot of the plastic under the seat and theres's more room, but the way the PC8 is designed you have to allow space on either side of the box for the positive and negative wiring.

Keep the updates coming.  :821:

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
Thanks guys

Update: I just got an email from Rally Raid on my wheels. They are shipping to Italy this week for the sealing process, which is estimated to take two weeks. Then back to the UK for final build and shipment.
So my hope for arrival soon seems to be dashed  :006:

Anybody ever ride a level 2 bike with the stock 17" wheels on it? I'm sure the frame geometry will be off a bit, but enough to really matter?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:49:33 AM by ncroadtoad »
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 03:39:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Thanks guys

Update: I just got an email from Rally Raid on my wheels. They are shipping to Italy this week for the sealing process, which is estimated to take two weeks. Then back to the UK for final build and shipment.
So my hope for arrival soon seems to be dashed  :006:

Anybody ever ride a level 2 bike with the stock 17" wheels on it? I'm sure the frame geometry will be off a bit, but enough to really matter?

Hi NC - I answered this same question very recently on this forum, and it's one of the FAQs (#16) in the Rally-Raid Vendor section too...

The LEVEL 2 suspension raise the bike by 50mm at each end, so the geometry is exactly the same as it was before, just two inches higher.

When you fit the 19" front wheel, it raises the front another inch, relaxing the fork angle by approximately 1, which increases the trail and makes it feel more stable (particularly off-road) as the standard rake is very 'road' orientated - but you can ride with the 17" front if you wish, and it will basically handle like a stock bike does.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jx

ps. you'll appreciate the wait for the BARTubeless the first time this happens... I did this last weekend!

photo. picked up another damn nail - this time I was able to plug the hole in less than 2 minutes with my Dynaplug tool, and it barely lost any air either.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:41:04 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Thanks JMo. I guess I need to review the FAQ. I've read so much CBX stuff in the last 60 days it's all run together. Sorry about that.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »

Well my Rally Raid Level 2 project is about 2/3 completed, it's at least back on the road  :001:
Still waiting on my wheels and then it'll be done.

Over the last month I've completed the 16k service (way early), replaced the chain and sprockets, installed SW-Motech EVO pannier racks, wired my accessories and quietened my Two Brothers exhaust. In the last week, I replaced the steering head bearings (not fun), installed the RR skid plate, gave the RR treatment to the forks, installed the Tractive shock set-up to the rear, mounted a Fat Bar w/Storm handguards and an RR accessory plate on my RR triple tree. I think that's it..  :015:

Over-all the Rally Raid installation was straight forward with good fitment and instructions. Basic shop tools are all that is needed, but I wouldn't try it without a shop manual. Trouble spots with regard to the RR installation were mainly the removal of the ignition barrel bolts, it can be very difficult and the mounting of the Fat Bar handlebars w/Storm handguards. I bought the RR windscreen spacers hoping  they would push my Givi windscreen back enough to get full handlebar lock without contact with the windscreen. Not even close... I wouldn't blame this one on RR, it could be a dozen things. Bottom line on my install required making my own spacers and doing MAJOR surgery on my windscreen.

Dremel tool with a barrel sander.  Not beautiful, but it works - now.

Everything else went pretty smooth..  Now the replacement of the steering head bearings... :157: 
That bottom race is hard as hell to remove. We finally levered it enough to get a purchase on it from the top and then drive it out. The way it's designed, we found it impossible to get to it from above (like you normally would) because it fits flush in a recess within the steering tube. Nasty... After we got that lower race out, then it was just your normal ass pain associated with head bearing replacement. I will say that the stock bearings (2013 w/8k) still looked fine. Skimpy on the grease and very lightweight compared to the tapered bearings that went in, but over-all completely serviceable.

Today I took the bike on a 240 mile test ride and it's a completely different feeling machine. Bumps are just absorbed, no more jittering in rough curves, it's just a blast to ride - and I still don't have my wheels.  I've seen enough though to be very confident now that this bike is indeed going to be the all purpose machine I've been looking for. Ride 3,000 miles on pavement, do a couple hundred of dirt and gravel and ride 3,000 miles home. Light, good suspension travel, good fuel mileage on regular gas and enough power for my needs. It's a keeper.. :300:

Cheers

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage