Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sold my bike. And now?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Sold my bike. And now?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »
If you want a great off-road adv bike with good road manners buy a KLR, Tenere (XTZ660) the new T7...or a KTM 790.

if you want a great on road adv with good off-road manners buy a GS, @twin or Tiger XC.

Personally, I'd always go for the lightest in the category...assuming I could fit on it. The more off road you do the more times you'll be picking it out of the weeds.

the perfect adv bike is a bit of a myth...it's a bit like shoes: you can play football in trainers and you can run around in football boots, but if you're committed to one particular sport, you need the proper footwear.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:03:33 PM by Jonathan »

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by halli [+]
The BMW Gs 800 is your future pal if you are willing to spend the money. You will never go back :-)

I concur. If I was to get another bike I've decided it is between the BMW and the Tiger 800 XRX.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
I rather like the look, feel and quality of the MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800  :300: - maybe because it weighs the same as the 500X and has 3 cylinders with more than double the power . . . just saying  :745:

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
I concur. If I was to get another bike I've decided it is between the BMW and the Tiger 800 XRX.

Have you ridden them? In my experience they are totally different!

IMO if you want something to take on gravel roads and things, the F800 is the way. But I found it dull, buzzy and with poor weather protection. The Tiger I would be less likely to take on the rough stuff, but man is it a fun and capable road machine.

Hawk

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]
Have you ridden them? In my experience they are totally different!

I have ridden them, and they are different but I find it hard to choose as I'd like a bit more off road performance, as I occasionally like to venture off the beaten path . That said I lean more towards the Tiger as my riding is more road focused. I've ridden it a couple of times and I honestly couldn't fault it.

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 stock CB500X
  • City / Town: Lea da Palmeira
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
If you like the 'adventure bike' style and need a bigger bike, test ride the Kawasaki Versys and the Suzuki VStrom. People rave about those bikes. The VStrom's engine is very impressive. They are inexpensive (vs. a BMW or Triumph) and, at least here in the US, there are always listings for used bikes with very low mileage, barely touched.

Don't like neither, estetichaly I mean. They seemd more oriented to road, touring. Never tried, but I don't feel atracted.
I think that we choose our bike as we choose our wife. Not because she is cheap or economical, but because we love her, I suppose!

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by drjack [+]
Try some KTMs for size. They generally have a fairly high stand over height. They come in everything from a  350cc (my favorite) to about as big as anyone needs.
Jack

The same applies to ktm. Good machines, expensive, but not fond of. May be to much biaised to enduro?

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 09:59:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mence [+]
Have you considered the '19 500X?

Slightly taller, better suspension components, larger front wheel?

Love it. Sat on in my dealer.
But the problem is exactly the same. Estetics very appealing, a little bit higher to ground, seat slightly better, but the same frame, same relative position of footpegs /handlebar/ seat, so the problem is still there.
Anyway will try it. Next saturday will try Africa Twin, already booked. If there is some time left, will try also the new 500x.

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I have always wanted an F700 GS but when the 2019 X was announced I went for that instead. Id always wanted to do the RR 19 wheel conversion but didnt want the seat height. So Ive got a nice new 2019 X and the kit is on the way.

In the end how much will it cost? Is it worth?
In the beggining that was my intention too, but the cost (higher for 18 model) and size changed my mind.

But I in general I love the 500x, it feels so light and easy.
Its build quality, however, is not so good. I live close to sea and rust started to show. Last week, at the first year service, Honda accepted my claim and replaced the abs ring.
In the same garage I have a yamaha aerox scooter, 2007, that is by far better. This helped the decision to sell.

Looking forward to see the 19 500x rallyraid.

Offline Mobydick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
If you want a great off-road adv bike with good road manners buy a KLR, Tenere (XTZ660) the new T7...or a KTM 790.

if you want a great on road adv with good off-road manners buy a GS, @twin or Tiger XC.

Personally, I'd always go for the lightest in the category...assuming I could fit on it. The more off road you do the more times you'll be picking it out of the weeds.

the perfect adv bike is a bit of a myth...it's a bit like shoes: you can play football in trainers and you can run around in football boots, but if you're committed to one particular sport, you need the proper footwear.

I agree with you. My preference goes to the lighter machine that fits.
Tenere 700 should be ahead, but not available to trial. The first units were all delivered, as far I was told, and to get one should make a deposit now, for delivery in october.
Xtz is an interesting machine,I like it, but I am afraid of the big single on road. Will try a friend's one.

Recent Topics