Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X hesitant starting  (Read 1331 times)

Offline TimNorwich

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Norwich
CB500X hesitant starting
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi guys, been a forum stalker for a while but never needed to post until now so I've just created an account :)

I bought my 2018 CB500X back in March, up until the last few weeks it had been running very smoothly, I normally use my bike for commuting when we have nice weather in the UK (so don't ride it as much as I'd like  :745:).

The problem I'm experiencing is that it's hesitant to start, I turn the ignition on and wait for the screen to do it's thing. Hold the starter down and it just makes the starting noise for 10-15 seconds until the engine starts. Prior to that it had started on the button. It's my understanding that FI bikes should normally start on the button too?

Has anybody experienced this? I initially thought it might be because the engine was cold but it happened even after a decent ride once I'd stopped for 30mins.

Thanks in advance!

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
Re: CB500X hesitant starting
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:29:10 PM »
Sounds to me like possible FI issues - if only bought in March is it still under warranty ?? let the pros have a shufty
Its guess work other than that
DM

Offline Gills

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
Are you starting on the sidestand? Various people have had problems with the sidestand cutout switch not working properly and preventing the bike from starting, even when in neutral. If you do, I would try starting with the stand up and see if it makes any difference.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
The fuel injection system works under high pressure, so anything that relieves that pressure could cause the fuel pump to have to repressurize the system when starting (thus causing cranking for 10-15 seconds). In other words, the fuel rail doesn't have high enough pressure to push the fuel through the injectors when they click open. It could be a simple thing like a poorly seated or damaged gas cap. I think on the '18 there is a hinged cap like the one on my '16. Pop it and make sure there is no foreign matter on the seal or in the neck that would prevent a good seal.

Beyond that, a dirty fuel filter or defective fuel pump or leaking injector could cause this as well, but I'd suspect that an '18 would not have these problems yet unless the mileage was high. Typically, a leaking injector would cause a big puff of greyish smoke when the bike did eventually start as the leaking gas gets burned off.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Arizona USA
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
Tim, have you tried the most simple test; your battery?  Every dead battery I've ever had does exactly as you describe & if you think about it, cars too.  Think "click, click, click", right?  So, before you explore the injectors or anything else more complicated.....just a thought.

Bob in AZ/USA
Formerly from East Suffolk near Ipswich  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:32:04 PM by bobwombat »
Bob from AZ/USA

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:40:43 AM »
+1 side stand up. If it starts fine with the stand up, then thats it. Easy enough to try. I replaced my side stand switch at 6k miles as well the clutch switch. Occasionally still have to put the side stand for it to start right up. Changed my routine to putting the stand up before hitting the starter button.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:41:56 AM by CB-500-X »

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 03:36:11 AM »
When you say "starting sound" do you mean that the starter engages and the engine rotates, but it waits 10 to 15 seconds to finally fire up? If so, my 2014X is similar, but only 4 seconds of delay. My thoughts are that the fuel pressure should be ok since the fuel pump runs briefly after turning on the key. I believe it stops once pressure is up to a minimum value. The injectors are probably ok since there is no power loss under normal acceleration. My concern is that an aging ignition component or electrically noisy starter might affect the ignition system during the start operation.

FWIW

Offline TimNorwich

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 02:36:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
When you say "starting sound" do you mean that the starter engages and the engine rotates, but it waits 10 to 15 seconds to finally fire up? If so, my 2014X is similar, but only 4 seconds of delay. My thoughts are that the fuel pressure should be ok since the fuel pump runs briefly after turning on the key. I believe it stops once pressure is up to a minimum value. The injectors are probably ok since there is no power loss under normal acceleration. My concern is that an aging ignition component or electrically noisy starter might affect the ignition system during the start operation.

FWIW

Yep I mean exactly that :)

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
  • City / Town: Gee Cross
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
Check your valve tappet clearances. They can also be a source of poor starting. My friends bike was serviced and the valves were not checked by the dealer despite being charged for a check. Once the tappets were done suddenly ran like a dream.

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 06:32:15 AM »
Again.. did you try to start it with stand up ?

Recent Topics