Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X hesitant starting  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Lingam57

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: KUALA LUMPUR
Re: CB500X hesitant starting
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:05:10 PM »
HI mine 2014x same problem thought it was battery..replaced battery still having difficulties will check side stand switch..starts fine with stand up, will check side stand switch..thanks guys

Offline TimNorwich

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Apologies for the late reply, I hadn't been riding much and wanted to try it with the side stand up before replying.

Every time I've started with the side stand up it's more or less started on the button so I'm guessing it must be that!

Is there a fix for this? Or is it just 'one of those things'. It's still under warranty, but if they replace it with a new side stand switch presumably it could do the same thing anyway?

Thanks

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
Not every side stand switch malfunctions in this way, get it changed under warranty and all should be fine, also try and keep it clean, use a switch cleaner or similar

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 02:45:34 AM »
+1
*Originally Posted by Samsgrandad [+]
Not every side stand switch malfunctions in this way, get it changed under warranty and all should be fine, also try and keep it clean, use a switch cleaner or similar
my replacement switch is still crappy at times but since my routine is to put the side stand up before starting I couldnt be bothered to change it again.

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Queens, NY
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »
Mine won't start with the kickstand down, period!  It used to be only in the cold, but now it is always. 
I had the same issues as you last winter, changed battery, ect. as I couldn't believe it to be so simple, but it really was just the kickstand. 
Not sure if it's the stand switch as once the bike is started I can put it on the stand no problem.  I haven't tried to look too deeply into it or fix it, if anything it keeps me from riding off stand down.

Hope for you it is something so simple, good luck.  Jon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:40:49 PM by Jonnielights »

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
This one is interesting to me. While I've never had a sidestand switch fail, I have tried to start bikes, to many times, with the sidestand down and I have left the wire disconnected. I've tried to start them in gear and I've had the clutch safety switch wires back off just a little because I dislodged them. In every case the starter response was nothing. No turning over, no grinding, just nothing.

It's my belief, I may certainly be wrong, that all these switches interrupt the electrical circuit, not the fuel circuit. The fact that the engine is turning over would lead me to believe it's not a switch.

Good luck figuring it out.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Roy McKenna

• CB500X Pro
  • Dan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Yelm Wa
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnielights [+]
Mine won't start with the kickstand down, period!  It used to be only in the cold, but now it is always.
Does the starter motor turn, or is it cranking but not starting?

If  the starter motor will turn with the SS up and clutch squeezed (not in Neutral) the SS switch is working.
If the engine will NOT start in Neutral with SS down or clutch lever released the fault should be the Neutral switch. 

For the starter motor to turn you need either:
1. Transmission in Neutral OR
2. SS up AND clutch lever pulled in. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:33:14 PM by Roy McKenna »
Roy McKenna

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
It will always turn, kickstand down in neutral not sure about stand down in gear, clutch pulled, I'll have to check.  But it will not start ever if the stand is down.  I don't know, ghost in the machine I guess.  But it always starts on the button if the stand is up, in gear or not!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:46:51 PM by Jonnielights »

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »
Bought it used a little over a year ago, always started in neutral stand down until the cold weather hit (Oct/Nov) but ever since, warm or cold its stand must be up regardless of temperature.

Beside that little quark, it has never given me a day of trouble so far and I love it for that, so I just oblige. :015:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:39:41 PM by Jonnielights »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage