Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cheap Airbox Mod  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500 X, CBR1100
  • City / Town: Theford
Re: Cheap Airbox Mod
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Blakes7 [+]
It wasn't a newer one, it's an American part, which is different to the one we get in the UK.  It's a different part number, for a different market.  Not sure a slightly curved rubber tube is the most lathe friendly medium.  A nice shiny aluminium one could work though...

From what I can see of these forums, other than the Rally Raid stuff, CB owners don't really seem to have embraced the farkling lifestyle.

Weeellllll had mine 5 minutes ( 3 days ) modified all sorts and added all sorts already
We are away for the weekend but I have just got the ally to make a bar mount behind the screen for the GoPro, and also will be fitting a V system Scottoiler ( which will either utilise the vacuum take off on ( from memory ( the right hand throttle body ) or else put a take off on an inlet rubber and vulcanise it in  :002: Lord only knows why Scottoiler says they do not fit !
Never been worried about modding a bike or car to suit my needs !
John
Currently living in an old farts body

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Not sure a slightly curved rubber tube is the most lathe friendly medium.
Sorry.. I should ave said.. Lathe has a mill head on it as well  :002:
John

Offline Blakes7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Godalming
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jaws [+]
Lord only knows why Scottoiler says they do not fit !

I couldn't see a vacuum take off point, which is why Scottoiler say it won't fit.  Of course, if you're fitting your own, it will fit then.

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »
I couldn't see a vacuum take off point, which is why Scottoiler say it won't fit.  Of course, if you're fitting your own, it will fit then.
If you look at a parts fiche you will see it... It is not on the inlet manifold but actually on one of the throttle bodies..
I will try and find it again and post a picture
John

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Look at number 22 and what it is listed as:

John

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 05:53:57 PM »
It's implemented only on the bikes which come with a charcoal canister off the factory. But it only takes a small drill and a thread cutter to get it done on the others also. Done mine to be able to balance the TB after boring it up.

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
It's implemented only on the bikes which come with a charcoal canister off the factory. But it only takes a small drill and a thread cutter to get it done on the others also. Done mine to be able to balance the TB after boring it up.
So California bikes and the like.... Drill and tap ( and rag covered in grease to catch the swarf in the throttle body.. I can do the velocity stacks at the same time  :002:

Great stuff..And thanks to @Blake7 for the OP  :028:
John

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »
So is it the case that the US bikes have more BHP than the bikes with the restrictor? Ours are rated at 47bhp to meet the A2 license requirement.

It would be good to see before and after dyno results of these mods. Something like a decent end can, these airbox mods, a better filter and maybe an ECU flash might give a decent increase.

Offline Blakes7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Godalming
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
So is it the case that the US bikes have more BHP than the bikes with the restrictor? Ours are rated at 47bhp to meet the A2 license requirement.

It would be good to see before and after dyno results of these mods. Something like a decent end can, these airbox mods, a better filter and maybe an ECU flash might give a decent increase.

We've got everything but the ECU mod.  I could see that making a difference, but that's pure speculation on my part.

It's correct that ours is restricted.  I've heard that the bike was primarily designed for our market, but it's versatile enough for worldwide use.  Designing a bike to be right on the power limit isn't as easy as knocking up a restrictor until it's choked juuuust enough power out of it to be within the A2 licence restriction.

Take another look at my pictures of the US spec velocity stack, vs the UK one.  It's easy to see the intentional restriction.

BTW, there is a thread somewhere about a guy who did all that you said, plus a full exhaust system and cam regrind, which yielded 57 ponies!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:54:51 PM by Blakes7 »

Offline Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
Interesting mod, I like it.

If, like you say, it adds to the midrange then I would be up for some of that.

Look forward to reading what impact there might be on fuel economy once you have an understanding...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:32:49 PM by Mence »

Recent Topics