Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Water pump repair  (Read 1409 times)

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Water pump repair
« on: July 20, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Well - the infamous water pump seal strikes again and month ago my CB500X 2017 became a new victim. I live in Spain and the price of new water pump reach almost 300 euros here. 300 euros is enough money to encourage for looking the solution so I purchase a new pump in USA (120 euros) and once removed the old pump I dissassemble it. It's quite straightforward task but there is some tricks to be aware. And here the results:

- The pump can be disassembled without damage. First of all - remove the pump cover. When you removed the cover you will see the impeller. To access to the seals you should remove the impeller. To remove the impeller you need 6-7mm diameter and 160 mm long steel rod or similar. Introduce the rod in a hollow pump shaft. You need to hammer it gently - the rod will pushing the impeller out of the shaft. In my case case 4 hammer fists was enough to remove it.

- With the impeler removed you can continue with the seals. This step doesn't requiere any special tool - the only rule is not to damage the pump body or seal mounting surfaces machined in the pump body.

A lot of antifreeze incrustations can be seen on the water seal - an indicator of the problem.

- So you disassembled the pump without breaking it and without hammering you fingers - congratulations  :046:

- Now - with any siutable tool you need to round a bit the chamfer for the oil seal mounting inside pump body. I mean - in its original state the chamfer has very sharp edges and if you try to insert the oil seal the seal will be damaged (don't ask me how I know it XDD). And be extremely carefull to don't scratch the polished surface where the seal is inserted - it might leaks if the surface is scratched.

- The next step is to clean it with hot water and soap - my pump has a lot of aluminium chips inside it due to the defective cleaning of the engine during manufacturing process. I think this was a real reason for the seal leak - aluminium chips in antifreeze.

- Once you cleaned everything it's time to mount new seals. The seals you need for the pump are the next one - 19217-MAL-300 for the ceramic water seal and 91201-MV4-003 for the oil seal (any 12 26 7 double leap seal should works fine here).

- Before mounting oil seal you need to prepare your mounting tool. I bought 8mm diameter threaded rod and a pair of 20mm washer and 8mm nuts - as you can see is a sort of seal driver. It will helps you to mount the seals without damaging it. Use a proper nut socket as adaptor to the seal diameter.

- Put a little amount of mineral oil over the mounting surface of the oil seal and introduce it in the pump body with a tool (or a precise hammer fists)

- Introduce the water seal with the tool - in this case the tool is very important - water seal has steel casing so a minor misaligment can damage it. This is the reason why a tool is recomendable - it will avoid the possible misalignment during the installation (you can do it with a vice too). Use a proper nut socket.

- Remove the old ceramic seal inside the impeller. Clean the seal mounting surface with a fine sandpaper. Wash it with hot water and soap and install new ceramic seal.

- Once you have all the components installed it's time to put back the impeller. In my case I made it with the hammer - I haven't a vice so a hammer was my next option. There is an important thing you sould have in account - the position of  the impeller is very important. Correct clearance between pump body and the impeller is vital to the proper functioning of the pump. The best thing you can do is to measure this clearance BEFORE you removed the impeller. In my case I left about  0.8 mm of clearance between impeller and pump body - seems to be OK, the impeller doesn't touch pump cover nor pump body.

And finally we have the pump repaired XD. It's time to open a bottle of cold beer and to contemplate your masterpiece - you've just repaired your pump.

Regards.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Water pump repair
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:23:02 PM »
Thanks for posting, some really good information that should help people in the future.

Offline Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
Nice one, thank you for sharing.

Offline oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
 :460:  Thanks.  Excellent description.  $120 for that little water pump - YIKES :114:

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
Not at all folks!

*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
:460:  Thanks.  Excellent description.  $120 for that little water pump - YIKES :114:
Yes - spare part prices for Honda are veery special - and in Europe even more. A kind of "if you have an Honda the money is not an issue for you" XD

Regards.

Offline 32dgrz

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 03:27:03 AM »
Water pump replacement is a breeze.  I paid a hell of a lot less than 120.00 for mine

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
So these pumps ARE rebuildable?!?  Awesome news, thanks!!!  I've got two old ones to experiment with!  ;)

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by yojimg [+]
So these pumps ARE rebuildable?!?  Awesome news, thanks!!!  I've got two old ones to experiment with!  ;)
Yessss - they are. But there are some details to be considered:

- This pump haven't ball bearings - the shaft is supported by pump body and the oil from engine carter provides the lubrication for the shaft. It's a sort of journal bearing without pressurised oil. So if the are too much freeplay between shaft and pump body there is no way to repair it - the shaft might vibrate and it's no good for seals.

If there is no excesive freeplay between shaft and the pump body then it can be repaired. Spare parts costs about 30 $ so it's really cheap.

P.D. If you have constant problems with your pump it might becaused by contaminated antifreeze - aluminium chips was that I found in my case.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
Great info, thanks for posting
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 06:00:37 AM »
I just tore apart one of my old water pumps and it was pretty hard. The metal flange that serves as the base for the ceramic seal seemed to be glued into the pump body with some sort of blue sealant. I had to nearly destroy it to remove it.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage