Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Water pump repair  (Read 1369 times)

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Water pump repair
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 07:06:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by yojimg [+]
I just tore apart one of my old water pumps and it was pretty hard. The metal flange that serves as the base for the ceramic seal seemed to be glued into the pump body with some sort of blue sealant. I had to nearly destroy it to remove it.
Yes - the same happens to me. It's the most difficult part of the proces IMHO. But while seal mounting surface remains without scratches it's OK.

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
The seals you need for the pump are the next one - 19217-MAL-300 for the ceramic water seal and 91201-MV4-003 for the oil seal (any 12 26 7 double leap seal should works fine here).

Great job figuring out these part numbers!!! Curious how you did it?  Did you take the original parts to a Honda dealer and match up the parts by eye?

Thanks!

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »
I just did some poking around -- looks like the Africa Twin uses the same style of water pump, and you can find similar problems with it in related online forums, if you google "honda africa twin water pump".

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by yojimg [+]
Great job figuring out these part numbers!!! Curious how you did it?  Did you take the original parts to a Honda dealer and match up the parts by eye?

Thanks!
I took me a about a week of Internet digging and a bit of luck XDD When I purchased the water seal I wasn't sure at 100% that it would fit - fortunately it did. And a bunch of Honda bikes uses the same water seal - it seems that they standarise as lot as possible this things.

Regards

Offline fatal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
  • City / Town: St Helens (ish)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »
At what sort of mileage are these water pump problems appearing?

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »

*Originally Posted by fatal [+]
At what sort of mileage are these water pump problems appearing?
Mine started to leak with 28000 km.

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
If you use a Genuine Honda parts dealer e.g.  I use   http://www.fowlersparts.co.uk   simply put in make, model and year,  when you search through and find the part you are looking for click on it and further down the screen it will tell you any other bikes that use that part number. Checking the water pump for a 2017 cb500x (all countries) Only other Cb500 engines use that part number. So according to that the Africa Twin may be similar but Not the same. I cannot say It will not fit or work just what the parts number tells. Hope that helps a little?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:49:31 PM by denislordm »

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by denislordm [+]
If you use a Genuine Honda parts dealer e.g.  I use   http://www.fowlersparts.co.uk   simply put in make, model and year,  when you search through and find the part you are looking for click on it and further down the screen it will tell you any other bikes that use that part number. Checking the water pump for a 2017 cb500x (all countries) Only other Cb500 engines use that part number. So according to that the Africa Twin may be similar but Not the same. I cannot say It will not fit or work just what the parts number tells. Hope that helps a little?
The reference number I posted in my initial posts fits the CB500X pump but it doesn't appear as spar part for rhis bike. I suppose there are Honda policies for their spare parts - seems that they prefer to sell 300 new pump instead of 25-30 pump seal kit. On other hand - the same pump seal is used in Honda ATV models and you can buy it as spare part without any problem. Marketing mysteries  :138:

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Deffo to that  :027: :114:

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
I put the water pump shaft from the pump I tore apart onto my lathe and tried to measure the bend in the shaft. Here are some videos. The last video is of another whole pump that leaked but not as badly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KNn7Ll0ZVky9UhAVHBvUsqxQWNQaTDl2XSvI0/?igshid=1tmrizfeatyju

Recent Topics